Good lord this took a while to install, but hey it works

12 Likes

>riscv64
Now that’s a flex!

4 Likes

A new server was born

only installed htop and neofetch so far, critical importance :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I’m jealous of your machine and patience. How many days compiling?

Also how is the CPU fan? I heard it is not very silent.

3 Likes

only took about 5 hours for a basic install, also yeah I replaced the fan with a 40mm Noctua fan

2 Likes

5h is pretty fast, definitely not what I was expecting. It takes 2-3 days to compile LibreOffice on my OC’ed 2GHz RPi 4. Now I kinda want to try Gentoo on it (I know there’s an image for it), but I want my Pi to be working, not to test distros out.

1 Like

Can you elaborate how usable the performance of the riscv is currently, please. Is it on raspberry pi leveles or way above those? Basically is it usable for every day tasks or is it still far behind?

1 Like

uuhh, I would say it’s below raspberry pi performance. Though it is surpringly usable, though it’s not daily driver material yet. CPU is way too anemic for that

2 Likes

Gentoo Basic install is basically text mode userland isn’t? I imagine Libreoffice uses lots of C++ code which takes a while to compile. I’d guess GCC and Glibc were the ones which took longer in the base install.

I don’t have one of course but I’d guess that a good part of the poor performance might be related to the lack of optimizations.

3 Likes

I was thinking more about compiling the kernel. I’m a noob at that, never tried it, but I kept seeing people online who buy themselves powerful workstations just to shave off some time from kernel compilation, including the one Wendell built for Greg, the PC Linus Torvalds built himself (?) and Jeff Geerling who has a shirt regarding that and moved his Pi kernel compilation to a Docker in his M1 Mac.

So I was left with the impression that it takes a while to compile the kernel. Edit: I guess it all depends on how much stuff you add to the kernel.

1 Like

I compiled GIMP on my Playstation 2 many years ago. For some things we just deserve a medal.

4 Likes

@admins
We’ve got a new achievement / badge suggestion: compiling your software.

Also, if you’re looking for badge ideas, we’ve got the /g/ achievements:

1 Like

Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 1.19.29 PM

mac os 12.0.1 rc the 25th is full release

4 Likes

Windows 11: “nooo, you can’t run me, your computer is more than two years old!”
Debian 11: “looks like you’re good to go champ!”
2021-10-17_21-05neo

10 Likes

Two AMD HD 7850’s crossfired

7 Likes

Just reinstalled after the bootloader dissapears for no reason.
Screenshot_2021-10-27_20-31-34

4 Likes

I had to put it sideways so you can read stuff. Didn’t want to bother with fonts sizes or neofetch settings.

5 Likes

You were not able to reinstall it? Manjaro uses GRUB as far as I know, so you should be able to reinstall GRUB with a command like the following! You might need to make some small adaptions, but a post on the Manjaro forum should help you solve it for your specific case.

grub-install --boot-directory /boot/efi/EFI/manjaro --efi-directory /boot/efi
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

If your efi boot entry was damaged or deleted you could reinstall it with the program efibootmgr. I recommend you setup a virtual machine and fiddle around with these commands, then next time you just chroot into your installation and fix it, instead of reinstalling everything.

Also welcome to the forum!

4 Likes

Didn’t know that can fixed, I’ll try that if it happens again hopefully never.

4 Likes

You need a working Linux to fix it, but this is what Live-CDs are for. You boot the live CD/DVD/USB-Stick, then you use mount to mount your disks, then chroot to login to your system, and from there you can diagnose and fix it. grub-install reinstalls the GRUB bootloader and efibootmgr can recreate the EFI boot partition used for (U)EFI boot. I am not sure if you can run the command exactly like above, but as I said just ask on the Manjaro forum how exactly those need to look. Reinstalling is always a safe way to return to a working system, but depending of how much you deviated from the standard settings it can take really long to setup again.

6 Likes