Post your DIY projects

Glass bed?

Spring steel sheet with a layer of PEX on top.

I had the creality glass bed and the results were not reliable enough for my taste.

Also had the creality magnetic bed. That one had good adhesion, but it was simply too uneven for my requirements.

1 Like

All I have is the stock magnetic one. Just an ender 3 pro :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Iā€™ve got the same. Ender 3 pro, with a plethora of upgrades.

• Micro swiss hotend, so I can print ABS. (you really donā€™t need this, but I was shopping and it popped up lol)
  • Belt tensioners (absolute must)
  • BLTouch (makes your life so much better)
  • Klipper firmware
  • hardened steel tool head
1 Like

I did replace my heat break at least. I donā€™t know how to change the firmware though. But I want to

1 Like

Itā€™s a rabbit hole. One of these days, Iā€™ll make a guide for doing it on the ender 3. If youā€™re already using octoprint, youā€™ve got all the hardware you need.

No Iā€™m not using octoprint. Thatā€™s another thing I have wanted to get going. Just donā€™t have a pi laying around for it

A modern design (the router), so fancy itā€™s practicality is non-existent.

Ha well after I had already printed it is when i found the filet tool to make rounded edgesā€¦my designs shall never be the same again

1 Like

I think you can buy relatively cheap motion control boards for the ender 3 platform, that is way better and have silent motor operation.

Fillet tool in Fusion 360?

Yeah I see the skr mini get brought up a lot in the ender3 subreddit. Iā€™ve considered one of those too. Wife might like that upgrade

Freecad

A man of principles I see. :stuck_out_tongue:

Iā€™ve got a lot more to learn to be considered ok with this program. Same with my new router :laughing: eventually Iā€™ll get this mikrotik RB5009 configured

1 Like

I moved from Freecad to Shapr3d. Something about using the apple pencil for CAD just feels right. Normally, Iā€™d be all for doing libre software, but quite frankly, I was able to improve my abilities tenfold by switching to a proprietary program and Itā€™s worth $200/yr to save me 50 hours per project. (probably do 10-15 projects a year, so on the low end, thatā€™s $0.40 per hour saved)

FreeCAD is not an easy tool to use. It suffers from the typical LibreUXā„¢ syndrome.

This guy seems to like his Apple pencil too:

see and this is like the third thing i have modeled my self and printed since i got the printer in march. the first one was a cup adapter ring for my work truck. the second was the clouds for christmas. if i had more time home then i would probably do more projects though. having this last week off for the holiday ive been doing a lot of stuff around the house that i normally would just ignore becuase it wasnt super critical that i get it done during my one day off. itā€™s been nice but definitely ready to get back to work too.

1 Like

At half the cost of Fusion360 that might be worth a look just based on that.

Itā€™s a yearly cost. You can play with it for free for as long as you want, but the export functionality and whatnot is severely limited.