Post your battle stations!

Another update.

1 Like

AyyyBBB XD u wnt dat powermak?

Ye sā€™ pweety yā€™aint havinā€™ it.

IMG_20171121_182605

Done for now. But I still need a STRIX GTX 1080 11Gbps for Cats per second and KVM GPU Passthrough.

Thatā€™s actually a GTX 1060 with Noctua fans zip tied on. Motherboard is a Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WIFI and the processor is a E5-1660 at 4.6Ghz. Memory is G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 XMP RAM running at full speed.

7 Likes

Liked strictly for Rick and Morty in the background

Did you notice my GPU anti-sag device?

1 Like

Nice! Totally missed that.

Update on my 2600k machine: itā€™s dead, Jim.

IMG_20171122_153106

RIP in peace my work machine.

5 Likes

Save that DDR3! RAM prices are ridiculous right now and if you manage to score a X79 board and a E5-2670 for cheap, you can still use that RAM!

2 Likes

What part exactly has died?

Rest In Peace in peace

Something on the motherboard. Pretty sure itā€™s a cap, but I havenā€™t dug into it yet. Iā€™m going to do so when I get more time this weekend, see if I can trace back and get it to boot again.

I do need a more reliable system to do my work on, so Iā€™m going to use the Black Friday sales to see if I can get my hands on something good.

Yeah, problem? :smiley:

Photos are a little old now, my primary rig now has 4 monitors.

Monitor brackets and mounts are all custom fabricated (welding is fun).

For sound I am running a home designed and built true bi-amplified setup. Pre-amplifier splits up the audio at line levels, feeding four amplifiers, one for each physical driver in each of the two enclosures rendering a total of 200W RMS per speaker, or 400W RMS total (not including the sub). Low frequency are split off and sent to a small also custom designed sub. Cost of ~ $300AUD to engineer and build.

Thanks to KVM this PC never runs windows like this anymore :).

IMG-20160405-WA0001

Canā€™t see here but over on the right is a rack containing all my server and networking equipment.

IMG-20160405-WA0003

Where I do my electronics :slight_smile:
That horrid soldering station has been replaced with a proper Hakko and the wall is now filled with component draws.

IMG-20160322-WA0001

Edit: Just found a photo with the extra monitorā€¦ was a free screen that someone was going to throw outā€¦ so figured id make a bracket and weld it on to the setup.

extra monitor

18 Likes

Is that DE i3?

Cheers,
-CloudPlumber

Yes, running on Debian 9 :slight_smile:ā€¦

Wait, Noā€¦ thats windows :frowning: I now run i3wm.

@cloudplumber was responding to @biolinguist, but I am fairly certain heā€™s running some sort of tiling window manager. Too blurry to see the bar.

Were you multi-booting? What made you go from 10 to 7 (or did you go from 7 to 10? Donā€™t need an explanation if thatā€™s the case lol).

How do you like i3wm on multiple monitors? Are you still on Stretch? It took me a second to figure out workspaces == different monitors on i3 but Iā€™m in the zone now lol. Well, perfectly honest Iā€™m back on Gnome, but thatā€™s aside the point. i3wm on my laptop :sunglasses:

Was there something in particular that made you use Windows as a primary host to interface with Linux? A tool, games, etc.?

Sorry for my random, all over the place questions. Just curious. I recently converted my Windows boxes to Fedora (again) and Iā€™m trying to find solutions to ā€œWindows onlyā€ tools. So far, RDPā€™ing is working when I need it. Havenā€™t had an itch to play a game in a while. GPU passthrough has been hit or miss, with random blue screens and hard stops.

Yes

I stuck with 7 for as long as possible, windows 10 is utter junk with all itā€™s spyware. I was forced to move to 10 because I wanted to boot in KVM with PCI passthrough which doesnā€™t work on my righ without UEFI, which doesnā€™t work well with windows 7.

Works fine :slight_smile:, its what I have wanted for many years! :smiley:

Not sure what youā€™re asking here, stretch is the current stable. Debian 10 (Buster) is still in testing. So yeah, I am on Stretch.

Some proprietary software that required GPU acceleration, I canā€™t divulge what though I am sorry.

Sorry to hear that, I have solved all my windows needs with GPU pass through and the Looking Glass project.

1 Like

I was curious to know if you had moved to Fedora, Arch, Gentoo, LFS, etc. Good to hear youā€™re still on Debian!

No worries about not being able to go into details. Thanks for sharing! Itā€™s been years since Iā€™ve done a full Linux conversion, and Iā€™m happy I did it again this go around. Sorry your Windows 10 experience wasnā€™t a good one. Maybe on Windows Blue or Windows Next youā€™ll have better luck? :laughing:

Finally built the new server, been a few weeks and I meant to put it up here:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Xeon E3-1230 V6 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($269.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks - PH-TC12DX_BK 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Supermicro - MBD-X11SSH-LN4F Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($211.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - SM961 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($269.99)
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar He8 8TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($255.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar He8 8TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($255.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design - Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $121.99)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA T2 750W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($187.98 @ Newegg)
Other: Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CRC 16GB DDR4-2400 ECC UDIMM ($201.00)
Total: $3352.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-20 18:25 EST-0500

2 Likes