Post pictures of what you ate!

day 1
made broth with bullion threw in dried peppers while i roasted fresh peppers and onion and garlic then blend everything together and cook. whole ton of ingredients in the mole which marinated the pork and also became the sauce cooking with the pork. here is list probably forget a few things i added

day 2
8 hour slow cook for the pork after the day of marinating. veggies and rice cooked in mostly rendered pork fat. sorta chipotle like rice bowl with veggies and meat but more authentic and better tasting meat. also got chips and burrito wraps and cheese to play around with eating options and yes im not the only person eating this 10+ lbs of food.

edit talked a lot about the process of cooking because it was such a big process but not that much about taste. the mole was amazing and it and what it did to the meat is the best part of this. the meat is so tender i was shredding it with a plastic spoon removing fat from the top to cook the veggies in. the lemon rind and juice really shined as did the peppers and meat flavor from the bullion and pork.
the mushrooms were kinda lost in the sauce i think i would use dehydrated mushrooms in the sauce next time more of a kick and less work.
the zuchini felt like failure its not bad it doesnt clash too much it just doesnt add much just sorta there. next time i might cut a few scores of green onions into matchsticks and sautee them and call it a day with the rice. quick easy and the meat and sauce is really the focus.

10 Likes

Slow cooked lamb ribs with Mediterranean dry rub. Drizzle of a lemon dressing on top with similar spices and greens with the same dressing.

12 Likes

just a thin coat of brushed on mustard or similar very thick sauce can get much better dry rub coatings especially on the sides or bottom as it cooks and the fat renders out displacing the rub. and if you use oyster you can add less salt while tasting just as salty and add some umami funk

1 Like

Jambalaya for supper.

Bacon from the slab, fresh cut potatoes , and ciabatta bread.

7 Likes

Fried taters, onions, and ham

Pinto beans n cornbread, greenbeans

Smoked pulled chicken bbq sandwich and chips

Everything was good. Cornbread was probably the weakest of the bunch. Just used the recipe on the back of the Quaker Cornmeal container. It was meh.

6 Likes

Made pork with veggies yesterday. Made some home made bread and white rice to help it out…

10 Likes

again same sauce but with chicken thighs this time. taste very similar i was surprised how much fat rendered off these things but didnt remove any like with the pork. was low on veggies so going to cook then and mix with the rice tomorrow make some burritos. taste pretty good cooked it less time but its chicken and it still fell apart with a plastic soon. if anything i personally would add some gouchujang but idk if that would be too much for some of my family

9 Likes

Tried my hand at cooking again. Got passable results, but it was a bit…bland. Any suggestions for seasonings next time around?

8 Likes

If you’re trying to copy restaurant food flavor, then more salt. Or salty types of sauces.

3 Likes

babish and kenji did a “how to stir fry 101” recently @imrazor looks like the veggies came out of a frozen bag and were heated via microwave or steam or water without adding much flavor or texture and the chicken looks similar. i would say pan fry the veggies and chicken at high heat constantly stirring to prevent burn, or go less traditional sheet pan method then mix with rice. add spices and sauce and flavor for the chicken and rice and veggies to soak up and dont forget heat and acid, also dont feel like you have too cook rice in water you can add flavors to the cooking rice for it to soak up like chicken broth or smoked paprika whatever you want.

also if stuff sticks to the pan add some liquid to deglaze it it can be a little water or soy sauce or wine or broth or whatever you want and the rice really soaks up liquid just dont over do it you only need a little

3 Likes

Fettuccine Alfredo with shrimp and a little thyme. :yay:

8 Likes

Not far off, came out of a refrigerated bag and steamed in a rice cooker. I have to keep the complexity down to ensure success and keep things quick after long 12 hour shifts. Working with that, what would be the best seasonings to add? Soy sauce isn’t bad, but gets old after the 20th meal. You do say to add spices and sauces, but don’t really specify which ones (other than soy sauce and paprika.)

I don’t think a wok is an option since I’m stuck with an electric stove top. Gas might be an option in the distant future, but not at present.

also using electric stove.
and for spices and such its very much a matter of taste i can tell you what i would like but perhaps we have different taste. i would add chopped onion its fairly quick and adds a lot of flavor. chop off the top and bottom root section then a vertical chop in half remove the outside layers then chop up you dont need to be super fine and if you are making individual portions maybe you dont need all of a big onion throw the rest in a bag in the fridge you can use it later. would also chop up the chicken into smaller bit sized peices going for long and thin not cubes that can more easily be raw in the middle if you under cook. then throw the veggies and meat into a bag or bowl with oil or butter, soy or worchestershire sauce, oyster sauce, salt, black or white pepper, paprika, a acid either lemon/lime juice or vinegar, heat my current go to is gouchujang paste, little bit of cumin or five spice or garam masala (both have cumin), sugar (browns great) or liquid sugar like cooking wine and garlic paste or ginger garlic paste and mix it all up. not measuring anything its takes a lot less time to do then type going by how much i want in that dish based on amounts other other stuff in there. the oil or butter is very important not to use too much or too little for what i see in the pic 1-3 table spoons but not half a cup. once mixed which can be done quickly by shaking in a plastic bag or on the tin foil lined baking sheet (cause then you toss the tin foil and dont have to clean) i would put it in a 400-500 degree oven checking very often the first couple time to make sure the food doesnt burn. you want a lot of heat to cook quickly but also get some char and flavor but not burn. the different between burnt and perfect can be 5 minutes at this temp but total cook time maybe 20 maybe 15 depends on how quickly your oven heats up. meanwhile for the rice i would add bullion and some soy or oyster so you are cooking the rice in broth not water and the flavor gets absorbed into the rice.

i would probably take the sheet pan out once maaaaybe twice to mix with a wooden spoon helps prevent burning and get more color and flavor sorta like basting

carrots have a fair amount of sugar in them wouldnt add to much sweet to counter the spicy. mixing up veggies on various days can make it feel like a different meal or making the sheet pan stuff then dumping it in ramen.

other veggie options that would be good for this is shishito peppers just chop off stemps and your done with prep. this species of shitake mushrooms normally just labeled shitake and oyster mushrooms the shitake you can just throw in and mix if clean and the oysters you pull apart like string cheese just chop off base and the baby bok choy for being quick low amoutns of work and good roasted.

a time shaving measure if you can pre mix spices like salt, sugar, garlic/onion powder, paprika, pepper, garam masala, ect the way you like it and leave it in some container with a lid on your counter basically forever and then add it all the spices at once instead of one at a time when you cook. i do this a lot for meat rubs to prevent getting meat germs on the spices, you can also buy pre mixed spices.
one optional thing i dont do very often but would for a pre mix spice is dry toast peeled strips of lemon or lime rhine using a pan and potato peeler to dry it out a bit without letting it burn then throw in a blender to add a bit of citrus kick to the spice mix.

another time/energy saver would be pre prepping veggies like onion and pre mixing so you dum X amount form a container in the fridge onto sheet pan then pour on spices/oil/sauces and mix and in the the oven stir once done.

when you boil or steam stuff together the flavors mix but they dont have maillard reactions with is why that roasted or seared or grilled bit of meat and veggies taste so good.

sorry if the formatting is a bit hard i cook a lot and didnt plan to write so much

3 Likes

I made a bunch of stuff today. Starting with a Fruit Cobbler. I cooked some frozen mixed fruit in a pot. Added about 1/8 cup stevia and a heaping teaspoon of Cornstarch. Once boiled for a few minutes I transferred that to a 9" square baking dish. I mixed 35% cream into some homemade Bisquick Mix for the cobbler, and spooned It on top. Into the oven for 40 minutes while I started on…

Butter chicken and rice. I fried the chicken to get a crispy skin and get some flavors in the pan. Took the chicken out and put in a can of chopped tomatoes. Cooked that for a out ten minutes then added butter chicken spice and water. Brought to a boil and added the chicken back in. Simmered for about 20 minutes. While that was simmering I started on…

Glutinous rice in a rice cooker. I accidentally Put in too much water so once the rice was cooked I took some out and drained the water back into the cooker. Placed that rice on the plate and added the Butter chicken on top.

The rest of the rice looked something like rice pudding, so that’s what I made it into. Added some stevia for sweetener, and some vanilla, pineapple flavoring. And some coconut and sweetened cranberries . Let that simmer for about ten minutes with the lid off. Turned out really good.

Pics in no order;

9 Likes

Breakfast. Locally baked onion roll with bacon and jalapeno pub cheese. Um Nom.

14 Likes

Do we need a pizza faction thread? I don’t think I’ve posted a pizza online since the … Tek Syndicate

1 Like

NOPE… Pizza is war… No need for war on the forum…

Now I want pizza.

2 Likes

pineapple on pizza

3 Likes

also chicken on pizza is something you don’t see in Italy
same for more than 4 toppings on a single pizza, unless it’s ‘pizza al metro’

9 Likes