PoP OS 18.04 fresh install, completely freezes after login

If you use CTRL+ALT+F1 it freezes up. So I can’t use these commands. I even tried typing in the command for installing SSH and typing in my password afterward, with the screen frozen, in hope of it actually registering the inputs. No luck

SSH ins’t enabled on POP OS by default it seems.
Putty says “connection denied”.

I find it ironic, that if where able to come up with a quick solution for this problem, you properly wouldn’t use Pop OS in the first place…

Do I really have to wait for 20.04, and just hope something works? Damn. :frowning:

If I may chime in:

Mr_Whom are you familiar with the concept of chroot? If so, you can change the sshd config doing so. If not, we’re here to help.

Also: Might I suggest giving Manjaro a try? It sounds like it can be a viable alternative for you. No, it’s not Ubuntu but does this matter? (Honest curiosity)

And regarding the OT discussions: Toxicity is everywhere. And depending on what you use, you will always find “stupid” and unbelieveable issues with whatever. I understand your pain and that the grass is always greener but stick with us. Trust me, it’s worth it.

EDIT: cleanup

1 Like

I don’t know if UKUU works in Pop_OS? :thinking: That was my go to when using Ubuntu.

For the bootoptions should just be left shift. Pop_OS! just uses Grub.
I had this working really weird for me aswel, sometimes it worked sometimes it didn’t. Just reboot a bunch of times until you get the Grub menu.

I was meddling with the idea of installing the OS on a virtual machine, and update the kernel etc. Then clone it onto a physical drive, boot from it and fix things from there. I am not sure it will work though.

Also. Can anyone explain why “Linux” have a system, that can’t boot into the desktop gui, because the hardware is too new?
I mean, windows lets you get in, even though it doesn’t know what to do with the card?

That’s too broad a statement, different distros handle drivers and update differently. Sometime installing a different kernel can fix things, not evereyone needs that depending on the release.

Has to do with the drivers. The kernel contains the drivers in Linux. To be fare, you have a bit of an odd system here. You will probably encounter the same problem with other Distro’s. Windows has an other way of installing drivers. Most of the PC’s run Windows so support is manly focused on that. If you really willing to try Linux I would recommend something Arch based for this system, Manjaro will be a good choice.

To make things clear. The support for the GPU is in Linux en the support for the boot option is there. Just because you can’t figure it out you cant blame everything else for it.

try Pop_OS 19.10

It may sound weird but one of the reasons is that there is no “Linux GUI”. There are different means getting one and even then there are Window Managers, Desktop Managers, Renderers, Policy Frameworks, … the list goes on and on. This means that since there is no “one” way, there is always something that can go wrong and also always something that can be fixed by doing it differently.

But the main reason truly is: GUI in Linux is kind of an add-on. It is so independent from the core system that things like that might happen. But CLI always works. Most of the time :wink:

Disable C-states. C6 C-states on Ryzen cause random freezing on Live boot media. It could even corrupt file transfers.

You will need a more recent version of Mesa and the HWE kernel too so get kisak-mesa and see if anything changes.

5700 XT is also bleeding edge when it comes to drivers, so you will need a VERY recent kernel. I do not recommend UKUU anymore though because it’s closed source shareware now.

If all else fails, try Manjaro with the bleeding edge kernels. (The reason is the 5700 XT)

How can I get the new kernel on my installation, when SSH is disabled, and I can’t get into the system without the gui enabling itself?

Manjaro have the same problem.

Chroot from the live install media and update the kernel from there.

If Manjaro is giving you the same problems then it’s not likely the kernel.

It is possible, that it would be something else.
What I don’t understand, is how everything graphically works perfectly, until you actually hit enter on the logon screen, or open the console.
Then again, the console fade-in is a graphical thing.

:man_shrugging: I dont/wont use AMD and I dont/wont use pop os, so im a bad person to help you. I would check your logs via the live setup and see what you can get out of them.

How are you trying to invoke console?

Nope, not yet. I had to move on for a while. Maybe tomorrow I will have time.

Believe it or not, but I just created a new installation media, so I could reinstall Pop OS 19.10, and now the installer worked without any trouble. And so did the login after the installation?? I have just updated the kernel and I am about to install the AMD drivers. Wut?

Arrgh…

errors were encountered while processing:
amdgpu-dkms
amdgpu
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)