POLL: Will Win X Remain A Free Upgrade At The End Of The Month?

• Will Remain Free
  • Will Become A Paid For OS Like Previous Versions Of Windows

0voters

As we all know at the end of the month Microsoft is suppose to remove the free upgrade to Win X for all Windows users, my personal opinion is that it will be extended.....what does the Tek Syndicate think?

Feel free to add your reasons in either direction.

I don't think they'll extend it because I don't think they're smart enough to do that. If they were smart enough they'd make only two versions: Home and Enterprise. Home would have all the feature needed for home users (including Pro features) and that one would be free forever.

1 Like

My only thought is if it goes paid for the tracking and spying stuff is going to cause them a problem, being free they can pretty much do as they like, but the forced upgrades will also have to stop if they go paid for, I don't think they have reached the projected numbers of installations yet which might also keep the upgrade free...we will see at the end of the month.

But my prediction is that they keep it free saying the demand has been overwhelming.

My bet it will be extended, since ms really wants people to migrate to X yet it only had a market share of 20%, while win7 has 50%. No way in hell is a price tag of 120$ for an upgrade to X help them achieve their goals.
Like @Blanger said, they're prolly extend the free upgrade because of "high demand"...

1 Like

After August 2nd, It'll be a $100 upgrade.

1 Like

I steadfasty refuse to pay for it until i have control of the updates back. I believe it will remain free for longer. Who knows with MS ? We will see.

2 Likes

They always have the option to go paid for then reverse the decision a month or so later, MS isn't known for getting it "right" the first time on most of their stuff, but once they go paid for if they go back to free they are going to be refunding money to the people who paid....to me it's a dicey situation they need to get right. I pretty well feel everyone who wanted Win X has the OS by now, only new computer users are going to be in that "paid for" market IMHO.

But it raises the question if you have a free copy of Win X and want to build a new PC I'd guess it's not going to transferable?

Only if you used a OEM copy of Windows 7 / Windows 8.1 and not retail.

I'm in the predicament right now. If i change my motherboard tomorrow Windows 10 will deactivate itself.

1 Like

I think they will try and make it paid if they hit their target install % but might extend it if they dont hit close to their target.

1 Like

Agreed.....but I think they are a long way off from the desired numbers, and its hard to find real numbers, I think MS is claiming 300-350m users on the Win X platform..

I believe it will remain free. If they want a billion systems running this OS, I don't see how else they are going to do it. Hardly anyone goes and buys an upgrade. I only did it once when Windows XP came out. I had Windows ME preinstalled and couldn't buy that disk fast enough.

1 Like

That was the target number MS was floating around last year....so if their figures are correct they are around 1/3 there, if it goes pay to play I don't see it hitting that number ever in it's life-cycle with Win 7 still holding 50% of the desktop market (worldwide) and lots of people not seeing a need to upgrade hardware it will be very difficult. (but that is just my opinion)

You and I see it the same way. If they had a chance of reaching that number, they should be two thirds of the way through. I'm one of those people who doesn't see much point in upgrading my hardware. The reason I would is for gaming and I'm just not much of a gamer these days. I like the older games better and they run just fine:)

1 Like

And around here that is the prime motivation I see, DX12 being Win X exclusive motivates lots of serious gamers to use the OS and will more so especially as more and more DX12 games are released, but hardware-wise I run a all AMD system that architecture-wise is old but it performs everything I want to do, I game but don't need the highest FPS or 4K resolution, if the game is enjoyable and playable that's all I ask.

1 Like

My primary computers are laptops. I like the portability of them and they have fewer wires. Wires and cables drive me bananas. The problem is that I can't play the triple A games like I used to. That's fine. Most of them seem like exercises in consumer fraud than actual games. Don't get me started on the gaming industry...lol

I did upgrade to Windows 10 on the recommendation of Logan. His reasoning was that they ported the telemetry to Windows 7 and it would be easier to control in 10. It borked some of my games. The only game where I saw noticeable improvement was Star Wars Battlefront II. I bought it for my nephews to play. I had to send the game home with them because it was the only way to get them out of my house...lol

1 Like

Prolly, and there are added benefits of running the latest and greatest OS from MS since hardware drivers seem to just work better most of the time, I switched to Linux over a year ago and run Win 7 in a KVM with hardware pass through, I can play just about any game I choose and use the design stuff from Adobe that I need, but not everyone can do what I have or want to go through the pains of making it all work but I'm happy I did.

I have a hunch they will keep it free. I can see the press conference now "Wow, we here at MS were astonished at how many users switched to windows 10 snickers and we wanted to keep our users happy by keeping it free for all. Yes we will take a loss snickering intensifies but this is all for you. Leaves stage to roaring applause as he rotflol all the way home.

2 Likes

I have two laptops. One uses Windows and the other uses Ubuntu Mate/Unity. The Windows laptop is basically a Sims machine at this point. That's all I do on it and I really don't play Sims that much any more. It's basically taking up space at this point.

1 Like

That is exactly how I have envisioned the press release to read...

1 Like

To be fair it wasn't technically free. you needed to have a previous install of Windows 7 or 8/8.1. though I don't think they are going to keep it free. they lose money every time people install Windows 10 via the upgrade system.

Plus the free upgrade took a massive shit on the PC market..

1 Like