Poll Syndicate

dead pixels are a feature, saves your battery life by 0.04% XD

on a real note I looked a little more into the warping and it seems that there are warped systems but probably not from overheating in the docks, seems it might be a manufacturing fault.

1 Like

Do you install haveged on headless servers?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Sometimes.
    • I use something else that’s better and you’re an idiot for not knowing about it like me.

0 voters

No need for it. All of my servers have good enough entropy

1 Like

What is your threshold for “good enough entropy” and why?

I’m mainly considering it for Raspberry Pis. I am not really concerned about it on traditional server systems, although I have always been curious if anyone had a clear, well-defined reason for installing it or not.

They are all above 2000 and most hover around the 4000 mark.

Ive seen friends who have rented really cheap VPS and the entropy was absolute shit XD. One friend has one that would never get above 100 entropy and was nearly impossible todo anything that needed it.

Yeah, even the Raspberry Pis equalize around 3450, so maybe it’s not necessary.

I just don’t know where the threshold is where you can say, “Oh that entropy is shit because xyz can compromise your crypto” while a higher entropy is more than enough. Where is the threshold and why? And if you’re in the danger zone, what is your best recourse?

1 Like

99.999% of people dont have to worry about low entropy compromising crypto. Only way low entropy could affect you is if your being targeted by somone but then you have bigger problems on your hands.
Isnt really a threshold but low entropy means that generating keys will take longer as they have to wait for more entropy to build up.

Also haveged could possibly make your crypto less secure than low entropy as its not perfectly random.

Depends on your purpose. 500 should be enough for most folks. If you need something to be fairly secure then wait on more entropy or do it a on a more trustworthy machine.

DISCLAIMER: Im not a expert on this topic so dont take my word as gospel. Do your own research

1 Like

Do you know how to drive a manual car.

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Do I know how? I do know…
Can I? No, I can’t…
But I do know how to do it. My muscles just can’t execute the moves.

I dont know how. No one was ever willing to let me learn.

It’s actually pretty simple.
I don’t know the English terms for those things, so I can’t really explain it, but it’s just shifting gears and while you shift gears you press a pedal that releases the gears so you can shift. That’s it.

Manual is dead, it’s just for the outraged car enthusiasts like myself.

2 Likes

Well nowadays people don’t want to touch the wheel either, so there are selfdriving cars…

Fact, people who have owned a manual are less shitty drivers.

3 Likes

Having driven for 6 hours on German Autobahnen today, I can assure you the manual vs automatic makes no difference. Assholes and egoistic knobheads everywhere!

For manual: Make sure you can overtake, shift down, give it full throttle, shift up again and then cruise along at 140km/h because you can.

Even UPS has ditched manual trucks.

Not in Germany.
Most cars here are manual, automatic or semi-automatic beeing the rare one.

1 Like

With America everything is flat and straight and all the cars are automatic.

3 Likes

Knowing and able are two WILDLY DIFFERENT THINGS.

I have driven a manual, my father made me learn, but since then, I only have driven automatic since age 17. I KNOW how, but I doubt I am able to do it anymore.

At the company I work at the office has to keep track of who can drive a manual 18-wheeler and who need an automatic.
If you wounder why the truck in front of you won’t move when the light turns green it is an automatic. they also make funny air noises when they shift.

It is nice knowing my manual Versa will never ever get stolen, it also has no resale value :slight_smile:

2 Likes