Poll Syndicate

Same. I wpuld have opted for price to performance but I want to try the 1440p life

2 Likes

It’s a combination of price/performance, but also longevity.

For Pascal, that meant I bought a 1080 Ti. If I had bought Ampere, that would’ve meant a 3080 since 15% performance didn’t justify twice the price for a 3090.

With Lovelace, that unfortunately meant a 4090 since the price/perf ratio was nearly the same as the 4080. But a 4090 will have a significantly longer useful life window than a 4080.

Wanted to skip Lovelace entirely, but after my 12 year old 30" monitor finally broke something I couldn’t fix I finally upgraded off 60hz to a better display. But my 1080 Ti just couldn’t push 4K @ 144hz in games, so unfortunately that had to be upgraded too. But hell, even the 4090 can’t push 70fps in The Talos Principle 2, yikes. :astonished:

2 Likes

I stuck to 1000… thats what I paid for the 2080ti which is still kicking even with Cyberpunk. Wish I had kept the 1080ti lol. Sold it right before the GPU insanity.

@regulareel I do 1440p, even on my 4K tv…honestly, there isn’t a ton of deference unless you are a foot from the screen…lol Just being honest, or if you use a 4K monitor. I have a ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor and it looks great.

The 6950xt upgrade was more out of spite from my 3080ti debacle. IE I got one but it was DOA… I was SOOOOO pissed. No one would help with replacement so now I am doing AMD for a while. So happy with the 7900X3D and 6950XT so far, well besides temps being insane compaired to the old 8086K 2080ti setup…but that was a much lower TDP.

@H-i-v-e I know the feeling… I just couldn’t do it.

@Kougar For whatever reason the 7000 series didn’t seem to be too much of a upgrade from the 6950XT I decided to buy, unless I went with the 7900xtx which was illusive for a while AND I got pissed waiting for one to be met with the “You have a random place in line to buy” on release day… that and the price had just dropped prior to release for the 6000 series before stats were posted. I mean $800 for it WITH a EK waterblock already made it roughly 650 for the card…so I pulled the trigger.

2 Likes
You live alone in a one room studio apartment. Do you still lock the bathroom door?
  • Yes, of course!
  • No way!

0 voters

2 Likes

No functional need unless you frequently forget to lock the front door.

You should still close it just in case you forgot a running camera on.

4 Likes

don’t even close the door

6 Likes

Especially if the bog is directly in line with the front door?
Then leave them both open?

(Okay, I’m making this weirder now…)

For that cold hard stare straight in the JW guys’ fearful eyes?

1 Like

Yes, because I’m paranoid and if someone breaks into my apartment while I’m on the toilet, it buys me time to situate myself.

I even check all my doors and my closet before I go to sleep.

1 Like

It comforts me knowing I am not the only one who is like that!

1 Like

assert dominance by making eye contact while snapping one off

5 Likes

I want to find out how many of you would join SubscribeStar and how many would move the support from Patreon if L1T opens an account there. Particularly interested what @Patrons have to say.

Would you support L1T on SubscribeStar if they open an account there?
  • Can’t afford it, m8;
  • Not interested enough to donate;
  • I would migrate from Patreon (or another place) to SubscribeStar;
  • I would remain on Patreon;
  • I would open a new account to support L1T on SubscribeStar;
  • I’d consider it;

0 voters

I already have a SubscribeStar, just been been waiting for L1T.

Patreon lost my support years ago.

2 Likes

on floatplane not patreon

1 Like

I’m still on Patreon for L1T; not looking to go to floatplane. What’s the deal with Subscribe star?

Today is the first I heard about it, was it bigger in the music scene?

Looking on the website, a 8% cut (5to them, 2.9 processing) leaving 92% for the creator, seems pretty good?

1 Like

There have been posts referencing SubscribeStar in the past on the forum, but weren’t really taken seriously, since it was a small platform back then (still smaller than patreon).

It’s basically a patreon alternative that launched after patreon started deplatforming people for their speech outside of their site and when patreon updated their TOS that they can ban anyone for any reason (which is fair, not against that as a concept).

Not sure what the story behind it is, but after a month of opening, SubscribeStar got PayPal and Stripe stop transactions on their website, after a massive influx on the platform away from patreon. Shady stuff happened against SubStar, which makes me kinda want to support it anyway.

But either way, I don’t want to support patreon and I’m not going to floatplane (I don’t even care about hidden content, I just want to support the channel).

I believe they have better rates than patreon, so probably yes?

1 Like

yup that is fair

but that is not.

2 Likes
Favorite Software License?
  • GPLv3
  • GPLv2
  • AGPLv3
  • LGPLv3
  • BSD 2-clause
  • BSD 3-clause
  • MIT
  • Apache
  • CCO
  • Unlicense
  • I don’t care as long as it works and doesn’t spy on me
  • Other (too many to list)

0 voters

Are these the OSF approved licences? I cant really tell which is which and I feel like these licences are mostly reflective of the ongoing political sentiments along the open source organizations.

i dont know. i dont really understand legaleeze and lawyer-rizms, and have even less interest in politics. (but maybe stallman was right? ^tm)

resources:

edit: not legal advice

1 Like
I read, and thought you meant, which license is best for me to create with, not for software of others to use

Have you done a pro/con list?

I have never published any code, but tyebway I see it, start with at least a very pen licence, for possible repudiation sake later. For now, work out, do you want credit, can they share, and do you want payment.

Presumably you are not yet on the payment bit, and different code can have different licences. You can even re-license, as you would be the sole contributed (to begin with)
So presuming you don’t demand money, will you let others take your code, rename it, and share it as their own, for profit, without crediting you, as long as the code is used?
Or, they can do it, but need your name in the list of contributes (apple are good with this in their regular OS patches)
Or, no-one can profit but anyone can use, without crediting you.

There are so many different ways to skin a cat, and each project is a different cat, that you really need to work out where you stand.
Also thee is a diff between your first little project, that would probably have a note permissive license, to ones that cone later, even if the first,open, one is the only one to widely take off?

I am not a coder, but really does make sense to work it out earlier. Also, open software is Great, and being paid is Greater, you don’t have to give one up, in order to keep the other

1 Like