Please recommend a fan configuration to cool a blower style gtx 1070

I’ve got the following fan configuration

Unfortunately I have no bottom shroud to push air through to the blower cooler directly, but I can move a fan to the side cover to have a 120mm to push air inside. Or Pull.

With the fan configuration in the picture I barely get 75 degrees C, with fans at 70-75% where it starts quite loud. The card is a kfa2 gtx 1070 single slot katana.

They are single slot, they don’t have the heat pipes needed to run it any cooler. What you are getting is expected.

4 Likes

This. Your fan setup looks pretty much optimal. The only way cooling performance gets better is if you change to a better case.

Are the Katana’s reference PCB? Might be a great candidate for a water block.

Nope. They’re all custom.

There is no case that could do any good to this card realistically.
Surface area and air throughput are just not there.

@nemuro, you want a quieter card? Buy a quieter card.

Sorry. :neutral_face:

1 Like

Bingo.

@nemuro why buy the Katana if the space is there? Tons of room in that layout for a proper card. I think the only solution without replacing the card itself with another model is an aftermarket cooler, like the ones that Arctic makes.

1 Like

If he had a bottom intake he might drop a few °

No, you would have to overpower the GPU fan to push way more air through that tiny cooler.

If you increase delta you will see a difference. Maybe not much but there will be a difference

Have you tried tearing the card down to replace the thermal compound that came with it? you might be able to get the temps a little lower with higher end thermal compound.

What do you mean?

The temperature difference between ambient and the card. The greater the differential the more effective the stock cooler will be. I dont know what case he has but if the front panel is restricting air flow he could end up with a pocket of higher temp air by the card. Theres too many unkowns though to say for sure but I believe a bottom intake fan would provide cooler ambient air directly to the card. If Im wrong then it wont make any difference because the temperature delta isnt changing.

It should be pretty easy to test, just open the case.
I doubt it though.

Fair enough.

@nemuro

Try running without the side panel for a little bit and see what your temps look like in comparison. If theres no change, or it gets a little worse, its not a fan problem and you need to look at other options to cool the card as @Steinwerks suggested (though im not sure about compatibility since your card is not a reference design board). If there is a difference you either need a different case or a couple more fans.

I would say add one side intake and one top exhaust. I like to keep case pressure positive because in my experience it means less dust collects from all the little leaks that you cant put a mesh filter over. Consider this anecdotal though.

1 Like

Put another 120mm right next to the blower, only managed to drop the temps by 3-4 degrees.
The reason I got this card it was on sale, and the only current one a bit below MSRP, I know, stupid :).

Guess it goes back and wait for a decent cooled one.

Pascal is designed to run hot, it will keep increasing power and clocks until it hits 80c, depending on your fancurve. And they all max out around 2Ghz, rarely 2.1Ghz. Even water won’t get you much past that.

What really matters isn’t the temperature but what clockspeed you can achieve before the fans get annoyingly loud. If your 1070 boosts to above 1900Mhz or so without temperature throttling or the fans being super loud, there’s no reason to return it.

If the fans are super loud, then adjust the fan curve and temperature target in something like MSI afterburner until they aren’t annoying. The card is technically rated up to 105C but I would personally feel comfortable increasing the temp target to 85C. Limiting cooling will obviously limit your clockspeed too, but the increased temps will compensate for that a bit. As long as it stays boosted over, say, 1800Mhz without temp throttling-- who cares? Not a big deal.

If we lived in a world where you could just return it and get a new one for MSRP, that would be a different story.

That’s the biggie, the best I could get is 76 degrees, 70% custom fan curve in MSI Afterburner, but it wouldn’t go past 1518MHZ, except for a few moments in the beginning when temps climbed from idle temperature.

I think I’m done with blower cards.

Oh wow, 1500Mhz? Return it immediately!

Opening the case did drop a few degrees, but who can stay with an open case besides Linus?

Also don’t paint all blower cards with the same brush, the problem here is physics-- the single-slot heatsink simply doesn’t have enough surface area and mass to cool the GPU. A founder’s 1070 would work perfectly fine.