Please recommend a fan configuration to cool a blower style gtx 1070

Huh, seems I was wrong. Those front intakes must be starving.

But 1500MHz is extremely low and all that hassle for that?
Nah, I would return it or change the cooler.
But that will probably void the warranty.

Actually no. Pascal cards run cool. You’ll get much higher boost for every 5C you drop in temperature. after about 50C they limit themselves quite a bit.

GamersNexus has tested this.

Also in my own observations I’ve found this. I have a 1080 and a 1080 Ti. Both water cooled. After about 45-50C they will instantly drop from 2000Mhz to about 1920… Pascal is very sensitive to temperature.

2 Likes

My 1080 boosts to 2050Mhz at 60C or so all day long. Air-cooled, stock EVGA SC, fine but not extraordinary case ventilation.

Yours might be special. But GN has great data analysis and I trust their research.

Regardless, OP single slot card is the problem. With that you get it for the form factor, not the thermals. Still, I didn’t know it was that bad. His card is throttling hard.

My card isn’t special, it won’t go past 2050Mhz without a ton of voltage. All 1080s will hit around 2Ghz with reasonable cooling, even the founder’s edition blower will do that.

Without changing the power limit and only relying on GPUBoost? Doubtful.

Yeah if I raise the power limit on my 1080 it will gladly do 2050… not stock tho

I definitely did increase the power limit and temp threshold. Didn’t say or imply otherwise.

Although I will return the card, I now see a well priced MSI 1080 Aero OC, also blower, I expect the thermal performance would be better, but I was wondering if anyone tried something stupid like taping a 60/80 mm fan directly on top of the blower, to aid with cooling & force more air.

A lot of the time you can improve thermals by just putting heatsink pads on top of the VRM’s because OEM’s forget to give it active cooling.

Yes, but unfortunately I will be buying from a store, and removing the cooler voids the warranty. Unless it’s a EVGA from what I recall.

No it doesn’t. There is no mechanism in place to detect if the cooler was removed. And, even if there is that little stupid sticker, its been proven in court that its bullshit and that you can still RMA.

I know this is valid in the US, but I’m in the EU and the stickers are still a thing. I once got an preconfigured Intel Nuc with such a sticker :slight_smile:

Nope.

Anyway, the hassle isn’t needed because strapping an additional fan on won’t make the cooler grow more surface area. If you want to change the cooler, I would go with a Morpheus II. But I would look for a better known PCB first. So returning the card is step 1 in any scenario.

1 Like