Pfsense sold?

Was pfsense sold or bought by recently??

I dont remember being badgered before…

That’s irritating, but correct.

3 Likes

I guess it has been longer than I thought since i last used it…

1 Like

What…

Is this a bad thing? Should we be worried? Or have we gone over this already and I’m just now crawling out from under a rock?

1 Like

I think as long as they are continuing to grow it and add features… I would think it is good.

1 Like

I can’t remember this not being true. And this isn’t exactly the first software doing this. Open Source software with commercial support isn’t a new thing :smiley:

1 Like

snort was also bought as well

1 Like

Sadly, that is also true. Cisco now owns them. Surricada to the rescue!

Hmm, not sure how I feel about that. I never payed attention honestly but now… :thinking:
Maybe I’ll give OPNsense a shot. Or something completely different. I don’t know…

For anyone sharing that thought:

I’m just going to stick with IPfire :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not sure what the panic is about… Just because it’s commercially supported doesn’t make it bad.

If your were happy with it now, what makes the big difference? That company has developed the product for over a decade now, you think NOW it’s going to change just because you know now it’s commercially supported?

By that logic you wouldn’t be allowed to use Ubuntu or RedHat or Fedora or SUSE or Wine or by extent Chromium or Firefox either. And god forbid using android :scream: .

Seriously people need to get their shit together, it’s still open source. The fact that it’s good is probably largely to be attributed to the fact that it is commercially supported.

10 Likes

haha careful. :sweat_smile:

On reddit you’d get a sea of :arrow_down: votes.

3 Likes

Well yeah, but I still wouldn’t change my statement because of it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

No commercial distribution?

What do you mean?

This is true for most things.

Netgate own the copyright and electric sheep fencing own the trademark. This is just a notice that you cant use the trademark for commercial distribution.

2 Likes

Personally I just like the idea of running something that is developed openly and licensed as fair as possible. I’m not saying everything else is evil but if the option is there … :wink:

That does look pretty appealing, yes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s still on the Apache license since they moved from the MIT mid 2016.

Apache is still pretty open…

Also development isn’t necessarily tied to the trademark holders or the commercial support…

Never said so. Wouldn’t be a problem.

But it isn’t GPL.

Look, I just wanna try something different. What is your problem with that?

I can’t remember complaining about you specifically :thinking: but ok… if you wanna feel attacked … :confused:

Maybe some things just don’t work well with GPL…

If you “never payed attention honestly” it can’t be sooo important that it’s such a big deal all of a sudden. Because spoiler alert: not even the original m0n0wall was GPL.

PS: OPNsense isn’t GPL either and also commercially supported (by Deciso)… soo… bad news for you :roll_eyes:

PPS: To clarify, I’m not against trying new stuff, it’s always good to expand your knowledge, it’s just the reasoning that seems a little weird to me.

2 Likes