PC Gaming is stagnant

I think AR has more of a use case in the professional field. Imagine the world as your monitor. You can just have windows floating wherever you want.

I’m not really sure how it would fit into FPS.

I see absolutely no problem with this. /s

1 Like

This:
AH64 helmut
70" big screen TV
Joystick
small fridge
Map of my in-laws neighborhood…I can die a happy man!

1 Like

Perfect, Now all you need to do is 3D scan all the people in the area.

1 Like

I haven’t even finished Half-Life 2 yet. And I’m going back to try some of the DOS games that my childhood mind couldn’t understand. So I have a 30 year backlog of games to play.

2 Likes

It’s understandable, but I think you’re depriving yourself of something good.

1 Like

Not really. If I wait long enough, the new hot games will be abandonware that I can play for free.

1 Like

That’s one way to look at it.

1 Like

Also Apt

Everyone quit yo bitchy ass whining and make something innovative yourself if you’re bored.

1 Like

I don’t think the problem is games need better core scaling, I think we need games that use FPGA Coprocessors and we need a new GPU and Coprocessor bus, something that sacrifices legacy for performance. In something like a MXM form-factor, but can use a big ass CPU cooler. Maybe something like NVLink, but an open standard and not just for servers.

How dare you suggest publishers increase their cost. To do that, we as publishers would have to charge at least $100 for the base game and 60 bucks for the game completing DLC. //my RP for the day.

1 Like

They use DLC to adjust for inflation and games are way more expensive to create than they ever been.

Oh shut the fuck up, this shilling is plain disgusting. At least some publisher or developer pays you to humiliate yourself, right? Otherwise it’s really sad.

Changing typical price from 50 to 60$ was the adjustment for USD inflation. Adding DLC, season passes, all the retailer-exclusive editions, microtransactions and, lately, gambling elements was the “adjustment” for greed. Pure crystallized greed.

3 Likes

To put that a nicer way, game costs to produce has scaled with the increasing user base of games… not a perfect scaling mind you, so I’d wager new games make a lower percentage profit, but since they are much larger in gross sales its typically a bigger profit overall.

I’m not highly anti-DLC as a concept, but what I hope DJM is hinting at is if you add all the DLC thats not just character customization skins ect together you get a game with similar playtime to what was normal before DLC became near ubiquitous… yet the total price has skyrocketed. In my mind this more than offsets advantages like the to price differentiate to gamers with a lower budget (particularly for games where multiplayer works without DLC), or try a game for a lower cost.

Likewise micro-transactions have really moved increasingly into “pay to avoid intentional time wasting” rather than “pay for a unique looking thing, customization ect”, and in my mind its really hurting the so called “free to play” space…

I don’t have a strong feeling about gambling in games… if its entirely optional I say let it be… however if it where needed to for example gamble something thats tied to real money to progress I’d object.

Finally use of market control such as platform exclusives for a duration (based on business deals rather than cost to port) and region locking are just headed for dirty tricks… I’d play a good game that has DLC (and I do), I’d even be happy to play a micro-transaction game if it actually was done in a fair way, and the total monthly costs worked out similar to a comparable subscription… indeed it logically has the upshot that you don’t pay on days your not playing, rather than a incentive to play constantly to “get your moneys worth”. I’d never intentionally incourage region locking, platform locking and the like.

1 Like

The growing audience more than makes up for the growing costs of games. The gaming industry has very healthy revanue growth every year, to the point where alot of corporations with extra capital find it an attractive industry to invest in, and why Splash Damage is owned by I think a Chinese chicken company. No publisher plans to release a game for $60 or $40 and lose money and only plans to make it back 6 months or a year after release through micro transactions.

Why is game development costs going up for some games while indie game development is becoming more and more viable? Because publishers make more money when they invest in more expensive games. Its worth spending more, because you make more. Micro-transactions aren’t game development becoming more expensive so devs are forced to find additional means to monetize the game to be able to stay afloat. Its the most effective way for large publishers to make money is to invest a lot of money in an IP they’re confident in, and then monetize the fuck out of it.

consumers only have so much money to spend on games, if the upfront cost of a game went up to say, $100, it would force consumers to buy fewer games and would make game development even riskier, which is why the gaming industry hasn’t increase the standard AAA game cost.

I would say there are too many games to begin with. People spend more time buying them than playing them.

2 Likes

I found a late 90’s ad for Quake 2 and it was $60 back the, that was like 20 years ago, so that would be like $92 in today’s buying power for everything else and that doesn’t count the expansion packs quake 2 had.

http://www.calculator.net/inflation-calculator.html?cstartingamount1=40&cinyear1=1998&coutyear1=2017&calctype=1&x=112&y=22

1 Like

This guy noticed this now? Heh. Have we reached a generational hardware leap?

I noticed this not only 4 years ago. But RIGHT after the Nehalem and Phenom II days were over. That was a pivotal point in CPU hardware. And yeah… it stagnated alright. I also said that Ryzen would be the ONLY thing that would bring about true change. And take a look. Intel responds by offering something somewhat reasonable for people’s money. More than 4 cores for $200-300 pricerange in 2017. And they also release the Core i9 - AKA stepping on their own dick - which was guaran-fuckin-teed thrown together ASAP.

But PC gaming, stagnating? Err… Idk about that. Right around the time Nehalem was out, that’s when everything started to flourish. PC Gaming starting to be on the rise again. And people started building systems more. And the response from the industry has been amazing. Going back to 2009 and looking at today it’s amazing seeing what’s been done. Seeing signature cases which will be considered classics in the future (cases which are still made, mind you) like the HAF X. Seeing how far form factors have gone. Seeing the Mini ITX form factor be more fleshed out and improved over a few short years. It’s really been amazing. If you were to go back in time 10 years ago and tell someone that you could build a system with this and that hardware - with that level of power - and it’s the size of a console. They’d think you’re crazy.

Now… if he had said GAMING as a whole has stagnated. Then, that’d be an entirely different story. But look at what the PC platform has gotten over the years. Starting from the distinct point in the mid 2000s when things started to change. We have the Witcher. Every Elder Scrolls release is insanity. We got a Doom reboot which was pretty badass, although a pretty short ride. And before anyone says some of these games are on consoles… Yyyyeah… they…they’re PC games. :expressionless:

1 Like

I’d be interested to see how expensive development is now vs then (adjusted for inflation) and see how the sales and pricing has changed (adjusted for inflation).

Back in the 90s, I think gaming was more niche, but now everyone and his brother has at least a console, so I can only imagine that sales have increased significantly on popular titles.