PC Gaming is stagnant

This guy has a great channel.

2 Likes

I agree! Theres no cool processors anymore! People are now relying on some stupid lights! Fuck that!

5 Likes

I miss that days when AMD intel and nvidia would make crazy stuff.

3 Likes

It’s also the games, they’re not optimized.

1 Like

((((((((((why do you think I like the older tech more))))))))))

5 Likes

Since customers are happy to buy unfinished games with sizeable microtransaction schemes, that’s what we’re getting more and more of. When a major company recognise that they make more money from the microtransactions of cookie cutter additions to a game than the regular game sales, they become less interested in spending several million dollars more to make it fleshed out and complete anytime near launch. So why push for a new game engine or significant improvements to an existing one, when that runs up the costs and risk pushing the launch like nothing else.

3 Likes

To be fair expectations are getting higher with time…

• We complain about lack of inventiveness when the difference between iterations of older classics like sonic games, street fighter or even adventures like kings quest where not near as big.
  • We complain about quality when loads of older games considered “good” had broken UI, or known bugs… games did just used to crash more often, and bugs that corrupted save games (especially on consoles) ect have near died out.
  • We expect patches and continuing hardware support, and more platforms supported.
  • We expect longer games with more options\choices, both in terms of things like display quality and throughout play… even a modern “linear” story will often feature customization of character or story somehow… this all adds time and costs.
  • Finally we have far more saturation, more games than ever mean that its harder to have a concept that feels novel while still being intuitive to the user. What would have been a mechanic that was unique to a series for several games in a row will now be either normal or boring before you ever see a sequel by the original maker.

I’m sure not saying we should not continue to push hard for games to continue to develop, but at times we do need to take a step back to avoid being salty, games are largely better than ever, and while nostalgia play of classics is great, when you approach older games you hadn’t tried before, you quickly realize how far we have come.

8 Likes

Vr is probably the biggest “shake up” to the gaming community. I’m still not buying one but it’s definitely creating new game mechanics

1 Like

I will add here that AAA is not the major anymore. Not at all. If anything people are playing more and more steam games that have nothing to do with EA or Activision or whoever.

2 Likes

It’s obvious, isn’t it? Just look at the shit that PC gamers waste money on nowadays because there’s nothing truly important to upgrade. Mechanical keyboards just because they’re mechanical, even if they have less features than a membrane keyboard, RGB’s everywhere, liquid coolers for locked processors. Hell, even overclocking doesn’t matter for games as much as it used to 10 years ago. And liquid cooling is kinda useless for most people since modern CPU’s don’t produce much heat and they’re built to last longer than they’ll be used, so what’s the point? Add to that the fact that liquid coolers aren’t as reliable as a simple air cooler. Then there are those $200 mice with super accurate sensors being used by gamers who don’t even watch e-sports, let alone participate in them. Extravagant PC cases that are built for fashion over function etc. I could go on, but you get the point.

There’s a lot of shit surrounding PC gaming these days. A lot of people wasting a lot of money that they could otherwise spend on much more useful things, like self-improvement. How many of you have useless tech that you wasted hundreds of dollars on that you could have otherwise invested in gym membership for example, in order to build your body and improve your overall health instead of your PC? Or on travel, education, new hobby, new experiences?

6 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been buying books. If you have a 5-year-old intel rig, I really don’t see a point in upgrading your platform until CPUs are made out of exotic materials or have a FPGA Co-processor or something.

1 Like

idk, to a point it seems like he’s complaining that old hardware can still run new games. Games are becoming more expensive to make, developers need to maximize the potential customer base, that means making it run on less powerful hardware. I haven’t played above 144hz, but i also suspect the improvements beyond 144 will be minimal, but even at 1080p, most new games tend to struggle not dipping before 144fps with anything less powerful than a 980. If you didn’t buy the 980, I think you had a solid reason to upgrade this generation. I also like that i’m not forced to buy a new videocard this generation to play new games.

I think we need a new “Can it run Crysis?” game

6 Likes

I’m fairly certain that won’t happen as long as consoles are the go-to profitable market.

well there is 4k and like he said in the video, there is really only 1 card in the world that can play new games at 4k well.

I wonder if a major reason for this feeling of stagnation comes from the end of Moore’s law. The fact of the matter is that computer hardware is on the cusp of a major change. For years, the improvements came from process improvements that happened like clockwork. That allowed the frequencies of the hardware to increase rapidly. Increased frequency was all that was needed until the Athlon 64 x2 (the first dual core). After that, frequency needed to to be supplemented by core count. This has largely been resisted by Intel for many years. If companies will start utilizing the higher core counts offered by modern CPUs, we might again see the kind of explosive improvements that are now viewed as a part of history.

1 Like

I think that the performance Intel and AMD can get out of one or a few cores have hit a plateau, and there is now a shift towards spreading the workload across multiple cores. A lot of the current popular games still favor single core performance, but it is taking developers a while to make the shift towards 12 threads or more. With AMD pushing more cores for less money perhaps that shift will come faster?

10% gain is a rounding error and 25-30% performance increase is “measly”? And he’s talking about years when Intel has basically won and sat with its thumbs up its collective arse (with Nvidia doing the same)? The guy’s an idiot, sorry.

That’s ME: Andromeda at 4k.

My fury could only push 50ish FPS at 1440p medium settings.

Simultaneously this is not about PC gaming, but serves as a wonderful example of why PC gaming is stagnant. Numbers > Gameplay

I’ll wait for the actual stagnant PC gaming thread to continue my random thoughts.

1 Like