PC Gaming is stagnant

That was kinda my point…

Is ME: Andromeda that beautiful of a game, or just horrifically optimized?

I agree that we need another Crysis not just hard to run but too push the graphics envelope further.

But on the other side the state of the hardware industry has gone to shit because of ignorant people buying Nvidia gpus when AMD left them a good year behind in performance and technology.

We shoud have the “titan xp” not at 1200EUR but at 600-800 and that gpu shoud be called the GTX 1080. No Ti’s no titans and what not. Now if you think about that it get’s excidning doesn’t it? Yea we or the dumb consumers fucked the future of pc inovation by buying less for more money.

The environment is absolutely stunning.

The characters are pretty good too. There were some problems with animations and textures in the beginning, but operation chemotherapy (patch 1.05) fixed all that.

I imagine it’s not all that well optimized either. Youtube videos really don’t do it justice though.

I’ll have to find an uncompressed video then… I guess.

Yeah. that’s another option.

Not until internet infrastructure keeps up with the 100 gb download sizes that games are approaching.

It has kept up. I’ve got 150mbps down for like $50/mo. (and no data caps) I get about 120mbps down from steam, so I’d call that a win.

Good for you… the fastest internet I can get, and the majority of people I play with, is ADSL2+… its fast enough for lots of stuff, but I’d wager internet speed has not kept pace with game downloads for most people.

In fact I personally don’t understand why game sizes have gone as crazy as they have, rather than putting the high rez textures ect as a separate download… because it must hurt both the majority gamers (who is still only 1080p) or the server providers whom are vending probably more than twice the data as they actually need to… which is important when you get new games like final fantasy online where people are having to wait for the downloads to get to the next area because everybody was hitting the servers just after release.

That’s a good question. I think developers don’t really care. They’re used to having gigabit in their office and something slightly less in their homes.

Ever heard of the term lifestyle creep? I think this is essentially digital lifestyle creep.

A push in tech only happens if the need for it is big enough.
There is hardly anything left you can’t do in a game, so no real need.

Same here. In short, I haven’t been buying AAA games at all because the downloads are a pain in the ass. I keep wanting to play Titanfall 2, but just can’t be bothered and would love to buy a working physical copy instead of tying up my internet connection downloading the thing. Same goes for just about everything coming out lately.

it is funny watching people obsess over frame rates/refresh rates higher than 60. not even noticing that the industry isn’t changing or moving along very much and has to fall back onto something that doesn’t matter to show progress.

like jeez if any game is over 48fps damned if i care much passed that.

1 Like

To be fair, high refresh rate monitors are awesome for letting you use more of the PC performance you already have on older or easier to run games… titles like Borderlands2, Dota2 or CS:GO are still great games, but a modern card like a board partner design gtx1070 will just about run 1080p60 maxed out in fanless mode, so you may as well be pushing a monitor that allows more pixels per second via higher res and\or frame rates. Its not even just a love of indie or older games either… only about half of new releases have ever been challenging on hardware, from Overwatch to ATS2 to COD:ModernWarefare2 we see plenty of games drop that will run well on lower end hardware… and honestly I think this is great, because I’d much rather see PC gaming open to everybody than needing a >$2k rig to enjoy.

Meh “performance increases generation over generation had diminished to almost margin of error” while the gains are major they are not that fucking close.

Lol Variable Refresh Rate, aka you cant afford a decent gpu for the rez you want

Shit video

I agree the gains aren’t that minor… but I disagree about variable frame rate. Your kidding yourself to think your not limiting your settings, resolutions or frame rates by picking a cap thats so binding you never drop below the limit. No single card will max out games while sitting on a hard FPS cap 4k as of yet, so variable refresh rates will look better at the top of hardware even without even addressing the point that such ultra high end setups are actually a vast minority. The gtx1060 - gtx1070 level is the most common in gaming rigs, not the gtx1080ti, and with a variable frame rate panel lots of games are not going to see tearing when running without a 60hz cap. Sure, you do sort of get used to the tearing, but not having it at all is still a big step up.

% of people with 4k monitor without high end card, and ultra isnt the standard of what should be possible with current single gpus

1440p and a 1070 on the other hand is very common, and without G-sync you’d need to drop settings a lot to avoid tearing… although I still thing the G-sync monitors themselves are very overpriced, the vega56 and freesync can be had for almost the same money as 1070 and g-sync in my local area…

Depends on the game what does steam survey say 1440p % is vs 1070 or higher %

One area not yet explored is AR or augmented reality.
Pokemon Go took off like a meteor and died almost as fast. An FPS version would be great.
However having people running around with toy guns shooting invisible creatures no one else can see could be a problem :slight_smile:

2 Likes