PC G5 - Mac G5 Case Mod Project

Nope…
I’m not looking at other people stuff. I’m doing my own thing with my own ideas…

3 Likes

Advice needed:
What is the difference between Dremel 3000 and Dremel 7750-10?
They are about the same price (2€ difference)… All the bits can be purchased separately so that’s not really a thing… Which one of the two should I get?

The Dremel 3000 has more steps on the speed selector.

How much more is the Dremel 4000? That has the benefit of having the powerswitch seperate from the speed selector.

1 Like

almost twice the price of 3000…

1 Like

That is no good then.

1 Like

My boss is holding my salary for a week now and I am still holding on on jumping deep into the project…
I am rethinking some stuff, like for example buying some sort of cheap case with acrylic window and dismantling it and using it’s parts, like the board tray and backside IO cutout…
It’s massive cheat, but then I have everything done for me and I literally just have to fit it and screw it up on the mac case…

1 Like

That sucks.

Good idea.

2 Likes

OMG intel stock cooler hahaha y tho?

1 Like

If possible try to check how I/O cutout and motherboard tray is attached to the case. Some cheap cases take “shortcuts” with the case construction, so check if the case has what you need. :slight_smile:

1 Like

alot of these are from when their project was wip so sometimes you see that

1 Like

@psycho_666 you might want this if you wanna save time and not cut the front panel splice wires so you dont have to cut up the front panel untill you desperately need to and if you are killing a case you might have some of the parts needed

3 Likes

I was kinda looking for one of those to be honest.
I wanted to save the power button.
I have an entire new front IO, but I really like the power button of the G5. It fits nicely.

save the front io pcb and the cable that runs off the front. from that you can use the old ports and save power button the positive lines are there and they connected the negative to the ground which would have grounded the usb and fw ports

this figure goes for the same pin-out as above

some people make the adapter cable so you dont need to splice
and for the g5 power macs that have the pads instead of pins

@psycho_666 your system looks like it has the pads instead of pins so you are gonna have a ‘fun time’

1 Like

I’m not really willing to deal with rewiring at all.
I was ready to just replace the front IO with the fractal one I already have.
No idea about pins or pads, but I will see soon enough.

I’m thinking of getting a second hand Cooler Master Masterbox 5 lite and use the mobo tray, the back IO openings and the acrylic window. The case is second hand, dirt cheap…
It is cheating, but it will save me so much work…

3 Likes

Great… Many good things happened today.

1. Yesterday I ordered a Dremel 3000 and today I received a notification that it was sent to me from the store.
  2. I purchased Cooler Master Masterbox 5 lite. Used for 15€.
    I will use the back panel (mobo IO and PCIe slots), the front grill (to mount fans on instead of drilling holes on the very front of the Mac G5) and the acrylic side window.

So that’s it for now…
Next update when the Dremel and the case arrive, which should be about 2 days from now…

4 Likes

It’s time to Dremel Dremel Dremel Dremel Dremel Dremel Dremel Dremel

3 Likes

Not yet… But I will…

1 Like

If you haven’t taken it apart yet, try running Lubuntu 16.04 PowerPC version on it.

Void Linux is superior. There is a convo about it in the PowerPC / POWER news and discussion thread if you have interest.

1 Like

Didn’t know Void had a PowerPC build. I’d take Void over any *buntu, any day.