Painting my case?

Hello! So a while ago when I built my PC, I h
Got the NZXT H440, I fell in love with the case for the cheap price amazing cable management in it etc. But when I ordered it, the store sent me the green/black version, not the red/black one that I ordered, so after a week or two of contacting them and getting the same answer over and over. I'm stuck with the green and black one, and since a lot of my parts, and all my peripherals are red, what I'm trying to ask is that is it possible to pain these green parts, the front panel (and top I believe) can come off which would make it quite easy, and the bottom left is away from everything, so I believe I would paint that without causing some overspray on other parts of the case. But it's plastic, which I've never painted before.

Has anyone else done this to a case, or better yet this one in particular. I've seen videos, but they are only the finished product, and don't talk about how they did it or what they used.

TL;DR: Can someone help me with painting my NZXT from green to red (never painted plastic before)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me (also sorry about such a long post)

Absolutly! Myself and a few other members have done the exact if not a verysimilar thing to what you want to do
https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/nzxt-h440-mod/94067

The H440 is very easy to take apart and put back together

Obviously need a well ventilated space, some painters tape and paint (I recommend `Rust-Oleum')

Basically just get some paint for plastic and you should be Okay. The most important part of painting anything is getting the surface prepared, masked and clean before you start. I prefer to use paint from the auto parts store because of the great color selection. For plastic paint stick with a name brand like Rust-o-leum or Krylon. In reality I have painted plastic with automotive paint with no problems, but sometimes regular paint will melt the plastic or make the surface permanently sticky. Test a small area first.

I love painting PC's. The YouTube channel that I learned the most from is Singularity Computers. If most TechTubers are PC Building: 101, Singularity is the Master degree classes.

Thanks heaps to Cort_Byron and Xeth for the help, I thought i might have needed some kind of primer coat before i painted, but i guess not. Also for the psu shroud, how do I take it out, because i haven't been able to find a way to take it out without applying enough force so that i don't feel like it will break. Besides that i think i'm about set to go!

Just gotta' trace down what paint to use, since i need it to match the red on all my other parts

Also I found this one really cool video of a guy modding his h440 by adding a custom psu shroud a ROG one https://youtu.be/ouBc8gKrUps?t=3m51s I think doing something like this could make it really cool and unique.

But thank you so much to both of you, especially the link to Singularity and the photo's showing step by step on what you did, making it very easy for me to get into some modding! :)

Did you have to use any sort of "for plastic" paint. Or what type of paint did you use?

I use rustoleum painters touch 2x coverage for painting my NES/SNES/Computer. It works pretty well you just can't use the rustoleum clear on it afterwards, because for some reason the clear eats it. I end up using dupli-color clear acrylic enamel because it works.

2 Likes

D'oh! I totally forgot about this until now.

I recommend plasti-dip, It is a rubber texture and it quite hardy. The upshot is that it can be peeled off if you dont like it or get tired of it without ruining the original coat.

I might pick up some of that too and test a bit to see if i like it more. It's just really whatever will look the most natural, and won't have any problems with. So thank you! :)

It will appear satin with a rubber texture

I'm watching it now, Thanks heaps for all the help Cort :)

I definitely prefer real paint, but it's much less forgiving.

Alright, I'll try and track down some of this and see if it works well with that i'm doing (i'm sure it will from the photos, They all look stunning!) So thank you Yoinkerman!

I'd recommend taking apart as much as you can, then test painting, I find fewer coats works better. Maybe test paint some things you don't care about to learn how to apply the paint evenly, I found I was moving the spray across the piece too quickly, leading to uneven coats.

Oh my god thank you so much! This helps me so much just for helping find out how to take them apart

1 Like

Alright, both of my parents are quite knowledgeable when it comes to painting (they had no idea about painting my PC though) so i can get them to help me work on getting an even coat. Thanks!

In my experience painting various PC components, regular multi-purpose spray paint for plastic, wood or metal works fine. Duplicolor and Rustoleum are both good brands. The best advice is to observe proper spray painting techniques such as
- Clean and dry surfaces well
- Don't underestimate overspray, tape or block off everything you don't want painted.
- Sand with a very fine grit sand paper
- Spray multiple thin coats allowing lots of drying time between coats.
- Have patience and leave lots of time to dry before assembling case.
- Don't expect exactly the same results as the factory colors because they use a special static paint technique which creates a different texture. However a good spray paint will still look very good.

1 Like

Well hopefully i after i paint the case, the ram, get my sleeved cables, and change the led in my gpu. My pc should start to come together, although my mobo might look quite out of place...

I disagree. Use very light coats, as many as you need to get good coverage. The first few coats will look like you are not laying down enough paint. Be patient. Nothing is worse than spraying too heavy and getting runs and drips. Sometimes I use a technique I call "interlacing". Paint stripes and then next pass paint the spaces between the stripes.

Also, NEVER spray directly at an object. Start spraying off to one side, then move steadily past the other side, back and forth. Don't start or stop in the middle.

Thanks adamjp, I'm definitely leaning towards Rustoleum, that sounds like it would work for everything that i'm going to be doing