Overclocked Nvidia GTX 1080 VS 980 Ti | Benchmarks & SLI - Various Games | Tek Syndicate

Well it does beat a 980Ti and TitanX arround the board at a lower power usage.
So its still impressive.

Barely though. Especially at 4K. An OCed 980 Ti is basically the same.

They advertised this as a 980 replacement and that is what it is. If you aren't doing VR (Which we haven't seen numbers yet for) and have a 980 Ti there is no reason to upgrade. Especially if you play at 1440p+

Yeah thats what i pretty much said above,
current 980Ti owners might be better of waiting for either AMD Vega or GTX1080Ti probably.

seems like the 980 Ti will be holding on to some of its value. until 1080 Ti is reveled.

i was expecting more from the 1080 nvidia really need to stop hyping stuff way over the top

Nvidia really under-delivered relative to all the hype for this release. $700 is really a lot to ask for this card.

1 Like

@Logan video looks good now, all fixed up :D

It really is... on sale 980 ti's or fury x's would be a better deal i'd imagine you could snag one now for $500 new if you look around enough.

it's gonna cost $1000 just watch. there's no other reason they'd positon the 1080 at $700

Well I said that at the earliest 2017 would be the year I get the card I want which is a single card that can do 60 FPS solid plus 4K and the games would be run at their highest settings and so with that said Xmas didn't come early. Honestly I am thinking late 2017 or early 2018 will be when I get my dream card. Thanks Tek Syndicate for the videos on the GTX 1080 and I look forward to more hardware related videos in the future.

Techpowerups results show the 1080 is 27% faster than the 980 Ti at 4K.

The Tek Benchmark videos are part of what hooked me to this channel. Funny given the few comments claiming Logan has drunk the Nvidia Koolaid. Maxwell is a very good optimized design however those paying attention like certain youtubers like 2kliksphilip, OzTalksHW, and AdoredTV know that AMD has been planning for the next gen optimisation more so. Watching AdoredTV's AMD Plan video part 2 will cover a lot of what I'm talking about and referencing.

TL;DR detailed AMD plans that clever likely to give them a huge advantage but Nividia fanboys will dismiss as wishful thinking

It's not Maxwell that sucked it was Gameworks and Nvidia's proprietary nature that sucked. Nvidia has a better marketing team having gained mindshare in the mind of the consumers far better than AMD could manage. There wasn't massive amounts of gains for Nvidia to make performance wise as Maxwell was quite impressive already.

The chart Nvidia provided seems misleading but a close examination shows you they are actually only delivering a upto 68% improvment over the 980 and up to 19% over the TitanX.

However AMD still may have (stealthly) gained the upper hand despite Nvidia's cunning efforts. Look at the start of GCN to see where AMD began to plan ahead. AMD had been hurt and hampered by Global Foundries' poor production, not able to make dramatic improvements and optimisations to 28nm process like Nvidia had managed with Maxwell. So they made design decisions that that seemed lack lustre at first but were the beginning of design optimisation for features developed for Mantle that was baked into DX12 and Vulkan. Things like Async Shaders and Computing or Multi Thread Buffering. Logan's Benchmarks here seem to indicate that despite the time Nvidia has to inegrate Async Computing and shading Nvidia haven't optimised their cards for them very well. Tests on Ashes of the Singularity and other DX12 games confirm this. Now Nvidia has made an improvement over Maxwell as Maxwell actually performed worse under Dx12 Async Compute. Nvidia may yet regret their decision to turn down AMD's offer to collaborate on Mantle. Now AMD is going to 14nm with better designs for the next gen API optimisations. That adds up to some massive potentia gains.

Add to this thier likelihood to use HBM and HBM2 on some Polaris and Vega, that AAA deveolpers are going to designing and optimising for AMD hardware ala consoles like Xbox One and PS4 which are more of a cash cow for them than PC Gaming :`( Upcoming upgrades and new consoles like the Nintendo NX and PS 4.5 only entrench this likelihodd further. Also the CPU market is far more profitable than GPU market so if AMD can get their act together and provide some competition for Intel again I'd say AMD has handled their setbacks with a fair amount of genius.

Value wise the GTX1080 is far better than Radeon Pro Duo but hardly trounces it given the 16nm finFET advantage. But enough to indicate how much improvement Vega and 14nm have to gain.

We don't know what VR improvments AMD will add this point but I'm intrigued.

Nvidia's advantage was TDP and GameWorks performance. TDP advantage is now gone. And GameWorks performance was largely tied to Nvidia's tessellation performance. AMD didn't do tessellation well. That's pretty much it. And that shouldn't be a problem with Polaris. At least I hope it won't. I'm very curious to see how Polaris will preform in GameWorks titles like Fallout 4, The Witcher 3 and Assassin's Creed.

I've never had a flagship but do have a 4k screen

SO, I'll wait till after the amd cards roll

Then I'll wait for nvidia to release the 1080ti after that

Then I'll wait for Asus to make a good oc 1080ti

THEN I'll wait for a water block for that.

Waiting for Asus b/c my last 2 evga cards had bad coilwhine + Asus knows how to make an oc card

TPU has some of the highest 4K numbers presented. Compared to the ones the Tek crew put up they are very different.

Even then though 27% isn't huge when you're talking 4K. Wow so it is 27% faster it translates to like 5-10 FPS faster. Not a huge deal really. (Which very few people are talking about. Almost everyone is just throwing out percentages because it looks more impressive)

Yeah it is still fast but not as impressive as I thought and still shows Pascal has serious problems at high resolutions. Just like Maxwell did.

For that reason no one with a 980 Ti should probably upgrade. Especially if they play at 4K

It is disappointing.

The NX isn't going to be AMD. It is nVidia Tegra based. Really doesn't matter though. No one is going to buy it or make games for it.

2 Likes

I'd like to see a comparison of the 1080 and 980ti handling a VR headset.

It's not that Nvidia did Tessellation well as Maxwell and Kepler cards took a hit with tessellation. It was just that Nvidia took far less of a hit than AMD did. 2kliksphilip explains this well in his video. Gameworks hence was known to be have detrimental to frame rate uses in games that didn't improve aesthetics by any noticabl;e degree. AMD would appear to perform worse at benchmarks on Ultra Settings even if if one turned off the tessellationl. Even though the latest Radean Catalyst drivers now turn tessellation to a balanced and optimised level by default AMD still appears to do worse in benchmarks from websites.

Polaris and Vega could perform better but that will be more so in Vulkan and Direct X12 games and updates.

Do you have a source for this? I doubled checked before posting to see AMD was still the front runner and nothing has changed on that front. Whether or not the NX is AMD hardly challenges my point as the Xbone and PS4 are the major cash cows for AAA devlopers.

Google EA, Ubisoft, Activision Blizzard etc 2015 financial reports. Reading them usually breaks down to something like $1.2 - $2.3 Billion sales from the PS4 and Xbone (depending on the company) vs $300 - $600 Million from PC. CD Projekt Red stated that Witcher 3 sales were 30% PC versus 70% Xbone and PS4. That was one of the more favourable cases I could find for PC. The other being Rise of Tomb Raider smashing it on Steam vs the Xbone. Conversely Konami attriubutes 10% of sales to PC.

Holly cr** ! This really must be the worst numbers on this card I've seen so far. But they do seem the most real ones. I will investigate more, but to be honest, I trust the reviews here on tekSyndicate more than any other website out there.
I will wait no matter what for AMD's GPUs and see what will they come up. I really hope they kick nVidia's ass.
And since I wait for AMD's gpus launch I have some time to save some extra money so I can spend on my new pc that I want to build :D