Overclocked Nvidia GTX 1080 VS 980 Ti | Benchmarks & SLI - Various Games | Tek Syndicate

anyone else having trouble watching the video? i get a message saying this video is private and cant watch it
@wendell @Logan @DeusQain

as far as canned benchmarks go.

my 980 ti sli (1445 core and 7000 mem) = 149.4fps on valley 1080p (extreme hd preset).

shut down by nvida for using unsanctioned games! jk i dunno

I'm sure this is for a reason and they know about it. We'll just have to wait.

@yuurei I think they took it down due to the errors people are pointing out in here. Benchmarks listed more than once and slides being out of place.

ah well that makes sense

after seeing some other benchmark vids all i can say is nvidia hyped so much

Please and thank you

i'm sure they're just getting the errors fixed.

meh!

Same old same old.....

Them comparing it off the bat to the 980 and not the 980ti was a dead give away that this card was nothing more than the usual 25% - 30% performance increase that they always dish out...

Basically maxwell on 16nm with worse performance per clock, with the clock speed boosted up to compensate.

Shoud work now?

1 Like

it does!

thanks a bunch

No problem ☺

"We have a 100% increase in performance"
5fps to 10fps

5 Likes

As usual Tek Syndicate provides the only benchmark video worth watching. No nonsense, no hype, no sponsorship, all facts and figures with meaningful applications not the typical "Incredible 30% increase in performance!" it's: "Yeah... you're only getting 5 more fps here." Just the way I like it.

SO basically if you own a 980Ti don't bother upgrading to a 1080GTX, not worth it. I suspected as much however, a 1080 will be a decent upgrade for my 390x which isn't Linux friendly (important for me). Going to need to wait a while for prices to stabilize as there is going to be allot of early adopter tax with this card!

PS. I would have liked to see some tests with the stock clock vs how far you could overclock the card. You say the 1080 is overclocked but I didn't catch what you meant by that?

hey @Logan, with my fish allergy are you saying you want me to kill myself.. that's harsh dude.. where's the threat of turning my cat against me... Well you know what? I curse you back dude! I curse you to get a splinter in your finger, not a painful one, but a RRRRREEEEEAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLYYYY annoying one! HA!

On another note (B#) I'm waiting more on the 1070, I run a 960 4GB now which will go to my wife, but the joke of "HEY why don't we get the new 1070's when they release so the games will run better" actually worked, only she got a tool chest for work and I'm getting the 1070.. from 960 to 1070 not sure it's worth an upgrade but when the wife gives the go ahead I'm not turning it down!

Hummm with that in mind, does Tek Syndicate have a performance chart on where cards rank against each other?

So it's basically a pointless card if you already have a 980Ti. Going from 28nm to 16nm that's just not enough. It should have been revolutionary and instead it's just a standard increase. Perhaps they should have advertised it against the 980 instead of the Ti version.
How much of an improvement can buyers of mid-range cards designed for 1080p (majority of gamers) hope for if this is the best they can do? They're not the only players in town after all. So hopefully AMD won't disappoint.

Looks like a mediocre performance increase all things considered.

However, the reduced power consumption could add up over time to a bit of extra savings (although the problem with that argument for GPUs is that people don't use their GPU all the time, nor necessarily even run full load all the time, meaning savings in power consumption would be limited, compared to something like a CPU that for whatever reason was usually or always running at max load)

I wish I could listen to the video while reading and writing comments in the forum. It's annoying that the video auto-closes. Too much reliance on javascript. Almost none of the forum loads at all without javascript, in fact.

Well yeah, i think if you allready on a 980Ti then upgrading might not be worth it.
Allthough we do see some nice jumps in performance in certain games at certain resolutions.
But still i think if you ar currently on a 980Ti, then you probably want to wait for either AMD Vega or a GTX1080Ti.
Unless you could sell your current 980Ti for good money.

I´m personaly a bit more interested in the GTX1070 numbers tbh.
I think that card might be a bit more interesting for the average 1080p gamers.

But of course wenn the board partners come with their custom GTX1080´s which you could grab for arround $599 and up.
That might of course be interesting for the people who are into the market for a new highend gpu.
But $700,- for just a reference card, well idk.
We have seen in several tests, that the Founders edition doesnt run as cool as they had claimed it to run.
Which was to be expected ofc.

Didn't Nvidia do this though? I'm not 100% since I paid very little attention but I believe they did advertise the 1080 against the 980 and not the 980Ti. With that said, however, they did also claim it would stomp a Titan X so... yeah... which i took with a small grain of salt.