Outdoor ethernet

I plan to run about 100’ of ethernet cable on the exterior of my rental house. This is the easiest way to get a wired connection from the fiber jack to my home office.

My question is: where should I purchase this cable? Are there certain companies which yall prefer over others?

Also, is there any other things I should know before going into this. I estimate it will cost ~$200 total.

thanks

I have used UniFi, Monoprice, and microcenter. All were good quality it seemed.

Why are you running Ethernet if fiber is an option?

1 Like

A 1000’ roll of outdoor rated weatherproof cat6a costs around $250.

100’ with connectors on ends shouldn’t be more than $75 I’m guessing.

You’ll need some additional building materials to plug the hole and attach the cable so it doesn’t dangle… $200 sounds about right

Are you in the US or elsewhere in the world?

Just a little contribution,but I’ve done this with the kind help of the L1 fellas :slight_smile:

Cable Monkey in Braintree Essex is obviously the nearest. Get outdoor CAT5.

1 Like

You’re not in Houston, TX are you? Slim chance, but if you are I have an entire spool of Cat6 CMX you’re welcome to use

Indoor cable outside works fine for a while. The plastic exposed to the weather goes crusty and crunches off exposing the inner wires. The cable then acts as a capillary pipe sucking water into the connectors which go green and dodgy.

However it will work fine to begin with :slight_smile:

1 Like

Google Fiber wont relocate the jack, but allows 3rd parties to do it. I’ve talked to a couple professional networking companies, but either they don’t work on residences or don’t work with fiber.

I myself am intimidated by moving the fiber jack and figure this will give me practically the same benefit.

I’m in the US.

There are already unused coaxial jacks in ideal locations, so I figure I can use those places. I guess I’ll need the female-female junctions and maybe some hardware to secure those junctions to the drywall. Also, an ethernet crimper and the rj45 connectors plus some silicone to seal the exterior holes.

Use a coupler and a pre made fiber cable. The fiber will be a more durable solution than Ethernet.

Something like that and then just run exterior rated armored fiber patch to where you want it to be.

1 Like

Why relocate the fibre when CAT 5 will do the job?

Quite right, and it didn’t last for long out there, only 3 years or so, but that was long enough for my needs!

They’re pretty good, though the cable you get is largely unbranded or a really weird and unknown make. Works though, had 1000 ft drum with no defects as well as some other bits

1 Like

Local to you I see these guys. Didn’t look super hard, but finding fiber retail is always a pain because there’s 100 people willing to install it for every person willing to sell it: https://www.milestek.com/
Look under cable assemblies. You might also want to armour it if you want it running along the outside of a house.

1 Like

Good find.

I’ve pre installed ducting but the armoured fibre sounds smart.

Luck is strange, had BBQ last night and friends friend does fibre runs for a living (mainly new builds). Might ask him to terminate the perfect length for me and the connection between home and office, as he has a splicer! We’ll see, that would be perfect though!

@Coleej, my office computer and television are connected to the internet by running indoor-rated cables through the dining room and my office window. I have had this set up for the last three years. I need to get this changed as soon as possible.

Have you tried Geek Squad? I need to find someone to help replace my current setup. I live in the greater Cincinnati, Ohio, area.

1 Like