oO.o's Neverending Tech Blog

macOS has shipped with zsh for a while though not set as the default. It’s also the default shell in FreeNAS now. I’ve been using zsh for quite a while as my personal preferred shell.

There is no learning curve, but there is this: https://ohmyz.sh/

3 Likes

Oh wow, so it looks like newer bash things all work with the same syntax in zsh. I was expecting some differences. Associative arrays work as well as weird bashy things like "${0##*/}". I’m definitely switching.

I will not miss csh.

Dem 3rd party themes too https://github.com/unixorn/awesome-zsh-plugins#themes

1 Like

My home Unifi network is shitting the bed for me rn.

grumble…

1 Like

How is it shitting the bed?

2 Likes

Usual Mongodb corruption I think. I got it back up but cloud key is hung so need to restore from backup.

1 Like

Yea I gave up on my original cloud key. Went to a vm.

1 Like

The only place I have one is at home.

Have you messed with the new one? Supposed to be a lot better.

I have not. Being honest after moving into new place and spending about 2500 bucks in unifi equipment ( 5 cameras,nvr, 3 AP lites, 8 port 150w switch and cloud key) I am done buying new equipment unless something fails.

1 Like

I’m putting one in a new install soon. I’ll post about it here.

Nice.

2 Likes

New client. New network.

5 Likes

Is the cloud key just to manage the access points?
Did i miss that edge products work under the unifi controller now?

1 Like

For the AP and 2 cameras not yet purchased. It doesn’t work with edgemax equipment.

1 Like

So I like netdata, and FreeNAS has had it for a while now, but with no way of configuring it.

That’s no sweat though. I have my own netdata config that I just rsync over the working config and then restart the netdata service. Works great. However, I am not able to get this to work as an init script, which is a bummer.

I tried just using the rsync command as a post-init script, but the netdata config was left unchanged, so I assumed that post-init was still running too early. I am trying to delay the command in the background instead, but it’s still not doing the trick:

( sleep 300 && rsync -r /root/netdata/health.d/ /usr/local/etc/netdata/health.d && service netdata restart ) &>/dev/null & disown

This command works as expected outside the context of an init script but either 5 minutes isn’t enough time or something is killing the background process despite disown. After I reboot, the config never gets changed.

Any ideas?

1 Like

Solved it. Needed full path names:

( /bin/sleep 360 && /usr/local/bin/rsync -r /root/netdata/health.d/ /usr/local/etc/netdata/health.d && /usr/sbin/service netdata restart ) >/dev/null & disown

2 Likes

And that was the issue from the start, so no need to delay at all…

/usr/local/bin/rsync -r /root/netdata/health.d/ /usr/local/etc/netdata/health.d && /usr/sbin/service netdata restart >/dev/null

2 Likes

Excited about this:

1 Like

Explain to me the difference between the edge router and the normal prosumer gear… I think it has to do with LD links right? or P2P wireless?

1 Like

EdgeOS on Edgerouters is downstream of Vyatta which is a pretty fully-featured router OS which is based on Debian. EdgeOS mostly adds the GUI and optimized defaults.

Debian is pretty intact under the hood. You can install packages and do things you’d expect to do on a Debian server which gives you a lot of flexibility.

Aside from that, the hardware has some acceleration for packet forwarding, vlan, nat, etc. Where it can fall short is in QOS performance and IDS. The processors just don’t have the horsepower for it (no IDS is included by default, but can be installed from Debian repositories).

Coming from a CCNA background, Edgemax gear felt very familiar. That, combined with the price point, is why it’s my preferred network gear.

2 Likes