oO.o's Neverending Tech Blog

Not that I could see, but who knows.

I couldn’t open the account in any case. I have to get a business certificate from the county clerk’s office.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t want to make business easy

1 Like

Tech cringe thread worthy

1 Like

Anyone used this, or know of a better alternative?

I need to script Ubiquiti Edgeswitch configurations and information retrieval. The builtin solution for this is clunky tftp nonsense and as far as I can tell, it only supports applying config, not retrieving any info (like mac tables).

Can’t issue one-off ssh commands because you have to escalate privileges with stdin password.

It’s called an expect script…

You’re welcome

2 Likes

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

I googled this for a while. I wonder why it wasn’t coming up…

2 Likes

Sneaky sneaky sir

2 Likes

Bonus question… have you ever seen a switch that could autodetect/configure lacp laggs?

No. Too be honest I haven’t done networking/ccna stuff in years…

Would be cool if something could

1 Like

I’ll add it to edgeswitch feature requests, next time I’m over there.

The whole idea with LACP is that it should autoconfigure, as opposed to static LAGs. But you have to enable it on ports that you want that to be allowed on.

in my experience, you have to configure a lag and enable lacp on that lag.

It’s possible that I’ve only ever configured lacp on ubiquiti edgeswitches though, so idk if their implementation is nonstandard.

Yes you do have to enable LACP on the set of ports that you want to allow to participate in a LAG, but you could for example say all ports 1-8 are allowed to do LACP for LAG 1, 9-16 for LAG 2, 17-24, and so on, even though maybe only 2 ports are actually being used for each LAG. It’s not ideal, but it’s not something you’ll be able to fix.

The limitations you find in layer2/3 managed switches are in silicon not in software. If you take apart a typical rackmount switch, you’ll notice that there is only a small low-powered CPU for running the management interfaces, and the real horsepower is in the ASICs that make up the switching fabric. These are what provide all the networking features of devices.

Hard to find public documentation for this kind of stuff and it’s been a while since I’ve been down the rabbit hole but chips like this https://www.broadcom.com/products/ethernet-connectivity/switching/strataxgs/bcm56820-series
There’s a few example block diagrams in the PDF on that page too. This is not the clearest example but every managed switch I’ve ever seen is basically some broadcom asics under the hood.

2 Likes

Yeah, I believe the Ubiquiti switches use Broadcom ASICS.

What I was wondering about is if anyone has made a switch where you can just create an lacp bond on a host and have the switch auto negotiate it, without reserving any ports ahead of time or manually setting up a lag.

It would be a nice quality of life thing. The other day, some guys did some hvac repair and unplugged a bunch of network cables, then plugged them back in randomly. Messed up my static vlans and lags and was generally a pain in the ass.

For vlans I could do MAC address associations or do 802.1x auth, but there’s not an equivalent way to achieve mobile lacp lags (that I know of).

Neat

1 Like

never heard of it, TL;DR?

2 Likes

There’s a free tier based on number of drives but I can’t find what the threshold is.

Yesterday, I had to bridge broadcast traffic between user and iot vlans to accommodate a Sonos sound system. I assumed that mdns repeater would be all I needed, but it ended up requiring an igmp proxy. I followed the basic instructions, but I don’t really understand what the parameters are doing under the hood.

https://blog.awelswynol.co.uk/2017/11/unifi-sonos-and-vlans

@mutation666 your network education is much more recent than mine. Do you know about igmp?

I’m mainly just unsure of what the threshold means, and if I can replace 0.0.0.0/0 with something more conservative. Idk what that address corresponds to though (source, destination, broadcast…).

According to the Ubiquiti docs, only one upstream is supported. Does this mean I can’t configure a network with multiple user subnets sharing an iot subnet with bridged broadcasting?

Also, when I look at ip multicast mfc and ip multicast interfaces, I’m seeing entries for vlans not included in the mdns repeater or the igmp proxy. Is that expected? I do have igmp snooping enabled on the switch (if that matters).

Havent messed with it sry, got some basics but not something we run.

Would check out cisco and juniper papers for more info (your not running cisco but should still give you good information that youll have to translate a bit to ubiquity)

1 Like

Cleaned up my gists today.

https://gist.github.com/o0-o

1 Like