oO.o's Neverending Tech Blog

No, I’d just use the plain ntp.org pools for everything so that config is always the same.

0.pool.ntp.org
1.pool.ntp.org
2.pool.ntp.org
3.pool.ntp.org

Over your head? Not encouraging for me haha.

Looks like today’s macOS update broke touch id authentication for sudo :frowning:

To be clear, every update breaks it by resetting the sudo pam file, but now it’s still not working after fixing that.

2 Likes

Thats for your security

1 Like

Mfw

CVE-2021-21044 macOS Chinese Finger Trap

2 Likes

wtf, my wireguard tunnels are gone also.

Friends dont let friends use macOS

2 Likes

IT’S USUALLY FINE

Still honing dwm so been mostly leaning on my MacBook lately.

1 Like

nano

4 Likes

Interesting rig here. Results look really nice.

Art reproduction is interesting to me because it combines my photo background with automation and repeatability.

1 Like

I think it’s time to consider a headless bsd router.

3 Likes

Post your results if you go that route, ive been meaning to get PFsense box for myself, but haven’t the funds or hardware for it yet. And tbh don’t know if it’s something I really need and networking in general is still uncharted territory for me.

1 Like

Worth imo, you will actually get security patches and more security.

Why headless? Trying to use some AMD power? VM?

2 Likes

Pfsense is better to learn networking with imo. I actually set up a basic firewall in pfsense, dumped the rules and am using that as a starting point. If pfsense had a cli like Cisco or Vyos, I wouldn’t consider using anything else. It’s just not automation-friendly.

By headless I just meant without any web gui (and obviously no DE on it). Looking at my colo space, I’d like to set up vrrp between 2 gateways, but space-wise that’s not great, so I’m thinking of having the primary on hardware and the failover as a vm. I’d have both of them on vm, but I don’t want to put myself in the position of having a circular redundancy where I lose all access if the oVirt cluster goes down. Also, it’s old Xeon, so I’m hesitant to put a VM on the edge with the speculative execution issues on those chips.

Vyos is by far my favorite router OS, but I can’t afford their LTS.

2 Likes

In oVirt, you can choose spice, vnc or novnc to console into a vm. In macOS, there is no spice client afaik. novnc doesn’t appear to work when ovirt engine uses a self-signed cert (or maybe it’s just broken, idk). That leaves vnc which works, but of course it doesn’t launch the macos native vnc client, it just downloads a .vv file with the credentials in it (which expire shortly afterwards).

So, I wrote this little guy to scrape my downloads and launch the vnc client. It also sends the password to my clipboard and deletes the .vv file.

sed -n '/^password/ {s/^password=//;p;q;}' ~/Downloads/*.vv |
pbcopy &&
open vnc://"$(sed -n '/^host/ {s/^host=//;p;q;}' ~/Downloads/*.vv):$(sed -n '/^port/ {s/^port=//;p;q;}' ~/Downloads/*.vv)" &&
rm ~/Downloads/*.vv
1 Like

TIL, in Photoshop, saving an image as PNG has arbitrary limitations depending on where you do it in the GUI.

1. If you Save As png, it won’t let you embed a color profile
  2. If you Export As png, there’s a size limitation of 9936px X 9936px
  3. If you Save for Web, there’s a size limitation of 8192px X 8192px
  4. Finally, Layer Comps to Files will embed the color profile and while I’m sure there is a size limit, it was able to save my 10800x10800 file.

I can’t imagine what the Photoshop source code must look like for this to be the case. Did they rewrite the png save code for each feature? Are limits checked in the GUI code instead of the backend? What a piece of garbage.

That said, if Photoshop was a well written application that was easy to use, my salary would probably be cut in half…

6 Likes

Yeah I wouldn’t be surprised if Photoshop was a total disaster internally. Having an effective monopoly pretty much forever on something like this usually doesn’t do good things for the codebase. Fortunately I’ve cut down on the amount of frontend stuff I do to the point where I don’t really use it anymore.

1 Like

omg alyssa got burned by this exact same bullshit today thank you

What is hot trash for $500, Alex.

1 Like

Yeah, I mean it’s rare that anyone would need to save a png that big. The only reason I had to was because “client asked for full res” and “hey actually, you probably don’t need that” would have been at least a week-long battle where we’d just come across as uncooperative.

The profile thing in Save As is the worst part. Untagged image files are the bane of my existence.