oO.o's Neverending Tech Blog

Got these cold rolled steel drawers which I’m psyched about, but were bent in shipping. Any pro tips on fixing this dent?

@kewldude007

First thought is to put something flat over it and hammer it indirectly, but idk if I can improve results with temp or other tricks. I have a decent array of tools but don’t know much about metal (hobby is woodworking).

1 Like

I have once used the rubber hammer and a piece of wood with a cloth on the other side and straightened the thing, but it was not on thick metal (and probably that wasn’t the way you’re supposed to do it) but I managed to get a half decent result and the rubber hammer doesn’t damage the paint if you go gently enough…

2 Likes

Why not let them know it was damaged in shipping? Get a replacement or at least a discount

1 Like

Don’t want to deal with sending it back (70+ lbs), but definitely going to try for a discount.

1 Like

Like fmissio95 said try to hammer it carefully with rubber hammer, and put something inside that you can hammer it against. Wood block should be good enough. Won’t look like new but should still make it bit better. If the rubber hammer isn’t enough move on to bigger hammer.

Can you still fit the drawer inside?

1 Like
2 Likes

Yeah. That one drawer feels a little tight but really it’s completely functional.

1 Like

I always thought gimp was an objectively poor name. It’s just bad branding and seems infantile. On top of that, the UI is very dated and clumsy to use imho. Looking forward to a better overall ux in glimpse.

Using the adobe suite for professional-ish work I just can’t stand to use gimp for anything more than resizing pictures or small things…it just drives me crazy, this Glimpse thing seems interesting…

1 Like

Yeah me too. I did download a gimp config that maps the shortcut keys like photoshop and that did make it much more useful, but still nowhere near a replacement.

1 Like

4 Likes

I need to get something like this for myself.

Did you manage to fix the dent?

1 Like

Not visible at all when it’s on the shelf so I left it. Maybe I’ll fix it one day, but not worth the time right now.

I bet you could find something like this from Germany. Can’t imagine what it would cost to import from US. Already kind of expensive.

1 Like

Yeah, these kind of metal drawers are quite common stuff so it shouldn’t be too difficult to find similar product here.

1 Like

I compiled dwm on CentOS 8 Stream. Figuring that out took all of 10 minutes. This might be my first distro hop.

3 Likes

This is my 3-tiered drive capacity email alert config script.

# weekly email alerts at 80% capacity

printf "%s" '#!/usr/bin/env bash

# safety first
set -euo pipefail
#set -x # debug
PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin"

OVER_THRESHOLD="$(df  --local                 \
                      --output=target,pcent   \
                      --exclude-type tmpfs    \
                      --exclude-type devtmpfs |
                    egrep "[8-9][[:digit:]]%$|100%$")"

[ -z "${OVER_THRESHOLD:-}" ] ||
  printf "%s" "Subject: $(hostname -f) - Filesystem Capacity Warning
  The following filesystems are over 80% capacity:

${OVER_THRESHOLD}" |
    sendmail -F "storage@$(hostname -f) root"

exit $?' |
  sudo tee "/etc/cron.weekly/60-fs-80-capacity" >/dev/null

sudo chmod 755 "/etc/cron.weekly/60-fs-80-capacity"

# daily email alerts at 90% capacity

sed 's/\[8-9\]/9/
     s/80%/90%/'                         \
    "/etc/cron.weekly/60-fs-80-capacity" |
  sudo tee "/etc/cron.daily/60-fs-90-capacity" >/dev/null

sudo chmod 755 "/etc/cron.daily/60-fs-90-capacity"

# hourly email alerts at 98% capacity

sed 's/\[\[:digit:\]\]/[8-9]/
     s/90%/98%/'                         \
    "/etc/cron.daily/60-fs-90-capacity" |
  sudo tee "/etc/cron.hourly/60-fs-98-capacity" >/dev/null

sudo chmod 755 "/etc/cron.hourly/60-fs-98-capacity"
6 Likes

Fucking pipefail, God damn you sexy beast.

Legit pro

4 Likes

Ryzen + non-shit keyboard Macbook Air 2020 fingers crossed…

3 Likes

@nx2l you have a legacy now.

4 Likes

I’m so happy we pushed for that shirt.

Can’t wait to order it.

6 Likes