oO.o's Neverending Tech Blog

One-sided cable routing is more of a pain than I expected. Still managed to make it look ok, but might try to sell the client on moving power to the front and getting another big cable channel so I can route ethernet on both sides.

4 Likes

It’s the worst! In a prod business environment I would avoid it at all costs.

2 Likes

What you’re seeing there is the entire network, so it is manageable as is, but scaling up at all, it would be a huge problem.

That said, the client is very reasonable, so I’ll probably get the other cable channel.

TIL this gets you the FreeNAS console if you disabled auto login.

/usr/libexec/getty freenas

2 Likes

FreeNAS 11.3 change log is extensive. Glad to see some of my own tickets addressed.

https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.3-BETA1/intro.html#new-features-in-release

1 Like

They have cable management trays that are 1u to make it a bit easier

I’m famous!

3 Likes

Finally getting around to comprehensively learning sed and awk… I have a lot of scripts to rewrite.

Idk if I’ll ever find complex sed scripts very readable though.

2 Likes

teach me

2 Likes

I had a satadom power cable break off in the mobo. Had to gradually chip away at the rest of it with tweezers. The plastic of the tiny plug had become brittle. Never seen that before.

New supermicro satadom is installed and working fine though.

1 Like

On cold days like this, I miss having 12u of servers in my apartment.

1 Like

Its never to late to go back to that

1 Like

Will I hurt anything if I try this blue guy out in C. They upgraded their nest and it has wireless connectivity and battery issues. Seems like they probably forgot to plug in the common wire, but I have no way to verify.

trace back to other end verify what its plugged into
@Skelterz does HVAC i think (if i am remembering correctly)

1 Like

I don’t have access to the other end. From what I’ve read plugging the 24v into the wrong terminal is a bad idea, but I don’t figure plugging a signal wire into the common terminal will do anything…

I yolo’d it and nothing blew up. Nest is charging now.

Lol, so it turns out I do have access to the boiler. Blue wire had fallen off the terminal, white wire was connected to R and red wire was connected to G. Wtf.

Anyway, all fixed now, just waiting for battery to charge up.

Final update: boiler flames up based on the green terminal, so red and white wires go to opposite terminals on the Nest and red wire remains on G terminal on the boiler.

I am guessing it was installed by a non-English speaking person which would explain why the letters and colors don’t match. Not sure why W terminal on the boiler appears to do nothing while G turns it on…

2 Likes

It was decorated f or christmas. Red and green. :wink:

1 Like

:thinking:

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

Lick it and find out.

1 Like

5 Likes