Official Post your PC guts thread!

fuck… guys this is such history in here… Holy crap this is back to the RTW 2010 days… dayum sonn…

Ill post some good pics of my rig at some point with only a singular GTX 980Ti Air cooled for a bit and my Corsair H100i… Its decent but barebones and all I need

1 Like

I’m building my first computer and it’s a daunting prospect since I’ve only messed around with some cheap old HP desktop clients previously.

My build is loosely based on Wendell’s advice though maybe I’ve made some mistakes.

1. ASROCK Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming
  2. AMD Threadripper 2950X
  3. Radeon VII
  4. G. Skill Flare X 2933MHz 4 x 16GB
  5. Corsair H100i Platinum AIO
  6. Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME M.2, 1TB
  7. EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2, 80+ Platinum 1200W
  8. Rosewill RSV-L4000 4U Rackmount Server Case 8 internal bays 7 fans.
  9. LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K UHD LED

I’m currently waiting for the delivery of a 16GB Kingston USB for installations and Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Grease Paste.

I’m almost certain I’ll be buying a Wacom Cintiq Pro (non touch screen)
https://www.amazon.ca/Wacom-Cintiq-Pro-Pen-DTK2420K0/dp/B07BDDYK99

I’m a bit concerned that the M2 Samsung EVO 970 isn’t listed in support for that mobo but then the mobo came out in 2017 and that M2 came out just in January of 2019.

Also I’m deeply intrigued by Wendell talking about installing Linux Mint on it then running VMWare 15 and it’s pass through capabilities to run Windows 10 Pro or Windows 10 Workstation. I’ll really need to know it I can install drivers for that Cintiq and do a pass through to the USB or USB-C it’s plugged into. Wendell claims that this setup is so efficient I’d only lose one CPU cycle for a virtual machine…

Whoa! Looks / sounds cool!
Looks like a build I would like to try as well.
I’m thinking of doing a linux box, with pci-e passthrough and enough threads and memory to game on a windows virtual machine.

And of course just having all open source drivers with AMD Radeon VII, that’s rad!

Where are you planning to mount the server case, do you have any specific ideas since you’re building it in a server case?
Man I’m missing pc building!!

Right now I’m travelling a lot, so my main rig ATM is:

Thinkpad t480

Fedora 29
i7-8550u 1.8ghz, 4 core / 8 threads
(Turbo boost disabled for stability)
8gb 2400mhz
256gb NVME SSD
MX150 (Disabled for better battery)

This is pretty close to ideal in terms of price and configuration. I like the casters for moving it for cleaning. Order, cable management and cleanliness are a big priority here. It leaves plenty of room for a rackmount UPS, a second cheap computer/hot swap drive tray and maybe a Cisco lab down the road. I’m not sure this size will fit my case; I don’t see 17" there anywhere…I’m new to this.

I’ve heard some criticism from other quarters that my Corsair H100i Platinum AIO won’t be up to cooling that 2950X. Anyone have any experience with this?

1 Like

You are going at it!
What is the use case?
Since you are building your first pc, I’m wondering why you are starting out with mounting on server racks? Do you have experience in the “server-bizz” ? :stuck_out_tongue:

My last desktop was a mess of cables. Not going to happen again

I know that feeling. I had serious problems routing cables (RM650X) in my Fractal S. Maybe I was clumsy because it is my first build but some cables (fans, ATX) seemed to short to route them via the right side of the panel. I am pretty certain that it won’t be a problem but it is not ideal. While building the PC I was worried to break the motherboard because I had to push a lot harder than what I feel comfortable with to get the RAM inserted or plug in the 24-pin ATX-cable or the USB3 connector. I hate that USB3 connector, whomever made that ought to write a thousand times that he will never be in charge of designing a cable and socket any more. :stuck_out_tongue:
But I did get the build working on my first attempt, i didn’t overlook anything.

Fractal S, 3700X, X570 Elite (mostly because of a potential future upgrade), 660p, RM650X, 32 GB of Vengeance LPX 3333/16 (not quite done with OC’ing that but it seems to be possible to get it stable at 3600/16) and an HD 7850 (waiting for the 5700X to become available).

Little update on my rig, changed case, cpu, ram, rads and psu

9980xe, 128gb g-skill trident z RGB 3200mhz, 2xevga 1080ti, 1200fsp Platinum and lianli O11 air

6 Likes

I should post the insides of what I lovingly call the tower of towers

1 Like

dam-son

2 Likes

Noctua’d another Sapphire card, this time a 570 ITX for my HTPC.

3 Likes

It still works.

4 Likes

6 Likes

now that is sexy!

2 Likes

This is the rig i built for my brother, 8600k, 1080, 32gb corsair vengance

5 Likes

You’re a good bro

2 Likes

Here is a better shot:

7 Likes

Current main rig:

CPU: R7 3700x
Mainboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
RAM : 16 GB GSKILL Aegis 3000 cl 16 at 3200Cl15
GPU : Vega 64 ROG Strix
PSU: Corsair RM 750x
CPU Cooler: Enermax Liqfusion 240mm with new noctua 120 mm NF-A12
Fans: Mostly Noctua NF A 14 and one Fractal design
Case: Define R4 with r6 Sidepanel, Hence the bad cabling on the right
SSD: Boot Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB, 2x 860 Evo 250 GB and Seagate 2 TB Barracuda dying

Edit: Capture Card: Avermedia gaming lite or so

5 Likes

This is former Project Taiwan, which i now just call “Diesel 4.0”.
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x @ stock
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming (Taichi based, not K4)
RAM: 2x8gb Team Group T-Force Xtreem @3600mhz CL16-16-16-36
Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB HDD (noisy mofo)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5
GPU: Zotac AMP! Extreme Core RTX2070
Power supply: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand Gold RGB 650w
Case: Casetek CK1018
Extras: Lite-On Blu-Ray burner/reader

3 Likes

Changed Diesel’s configs quite a bit yesterday, in came the Lian Li Lancool One Digital case, Super Flower Leadex III 750W PSU and 32gb of G.Skill Ripjaws V RAM.

7 Likes