Official Post your PC guts thread!

If you make some room between the fan and the card, then you will get actual air movement on the back of the card, which will help A LOT with cooling.

My motherboard arrived so I threw a build together in my basement lab. Unfortunately it looks like a memory slot was DOA, the computer boots just fine with any memory installed in the first slot, it even overclocks nicely, but if I install anything in the second slot it won’t even boot on JEDEC, memtest throwing countless errors immediately.

Pretty annoying. If I have to do a return that’ll entail shipping it to Hungary so they can ship it to USA so Amazon can ship a fresh one to Hungary to be shipped back to me. That’ll easily set me back a month. I have other AM5 motherboards so it’s not like I can’t still work, but still. Alas, none of the BIOSes I tested would work, so a return seems probable.

3 Likes

Threw modified Accelero III on my A4000. Tempted to get slim 92mm RGB fans for it too.

Case is modified Meshify S2 with R6 bits, hiding 6 16 TB spinners and bunch of SSDs.

4 Likes

I had the same problems… I started a thread if its a amd x670 build with ddr5… cleaning contacts if i ever touched them, seating for sure securely…and all the rest was messing with voltages to get expo working if any of it helps here…

1 Like

4 Likes

Reposting from my blog/build log/semi-coherent ramble.

The first desktop PC I’ve had in a while. Still need to install KVM on it and move over all the VMs.

4 Likes

Thanks. Yeah, I did try cleaning the slots and messing with voltages. Feeding the SoC 1.35V lets me boot and run memtest successfully (at JEDEC), but this same CPU and memory in another motherboard don’t need that and will run fine on defaults, or overclock to 6400MT/s almost effortlessly, so I’m leaning towards blaming the motherboard. I’d accept if my 96GB kit doesn’t work right yet, it is very new, but this is a 64GB kit explicitly on the QVL for the board, so it really should just work. This is a B650 and the other motherboard is an X670E, but as far as RAM stability goes this should be the more stable platform since it only offers one DIMM per channel, which should make it considerably less noisy than my X670E.

It’ll take a while for Gigabyte to get back to me, maybe I can do an exchange directly with Taiwan instead of needing to mess with yanks, so I’ll continue tinkering for a while, but for now sadly it just looks like I got a dud motherboard.

1 Like

Im just going to put this up so I dont repost a ton… :slight_smile:

Jri-Tech Yes PC #1

NZXT H7 Flow White
Corsair RM650x 80+ Gold
NZXT F120P x3 (Front Intake) & F120Q x1 (Exhaust)
AMD Ryzen 7 5700G (On sale)
ASRock B550 Steel Legend
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro White CL16 (2x16GB) A2 B2 Slots
DeepCool Castle 360EX White (Top Mounted on case)
Samsung 870 Evo 1 TB 2.5" SSD (OS/Programs)
Western Digital Blue 1 TB 2.5" SSD (Games)
Seagate Constellation ES.3 4 TB 3.5" 7200 (Games & Storage)
Asus Dual GeForce RTX 3060 V2 OC Edition GeForce RTX 3060 12GB
Traded for $$$$$ and
Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB (I didn’t need all that OC garbage)
Intel AX200 M.2 Wi-Fi 6 / Bluetooth adapter

So (in mid 2022) I sold my awesome Alienware x51 R2 (that I upgraded multiple times) for $225, and the RTX 1560 Amp! that fit into the Alienware case for $200, and an i9 9700K someone gave me for free for $325 to fund this build.
After playing with it for several months and noticing bottlenecks and other such stuff, and also figuring out that I don’t game like I used to…I decided to just sell the RTX 3060 12GB and found a nice trade for $250 plus this really nice 1660 Super. It does everything I need on this computer for now, and I won’t ever upgrade to the 40 series anyways.

1 Like

Stolen from my post on Emergency Replacement PC by DarkWaterSong - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, Radeon RX 6600 XT, Cooler Master MasterBox NR200P Mini ITX Desktop - PCPartPicker

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG STRIX GAMING OC Radeon RX 6600 XT
  • Asus ROG STRIX B550-I
  • Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18
  • Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB
  • Cooler Master MasterBox NR200P Mini ITX Desktop Case
  • Corsair SF750
  • Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
  • ASRock PG27F15RS1A 27.0" 1920 x 1080 240 Hz Curved Monitor
  • Logitech G915 TKL RGB Wireless Gaming Keyboard
  • Logitech G502 X Plus Mouse
  • Logitech G733 Headset

Please note, a few of these are older and have a different video card in and a different headset.

2 Likes

2023 rebuild complete with 6900XT!

10 Likes

Most recent build! Wanted a big ol’ full tower that could do anything. Really happy with how it turned out.

7 Likes

I just updated this to reflect recent changes.

NEW THREADRIPPER BUILD

• Threadripper 7970X
  • ASrock TRX50 WS
  • 128GB G.SKILL Zeta 6400MT/s
  • RADEON PRO W7800
  • Fractal Define 7XL
  • Custom “AIO” with Alphacool Eisbaer Pro ES and Alphacool parts

10 Likes

Username checks out.

1 Like

That is one sleek build!

Intel 10980xe, 4.5ghz all core overclock but usually run it at 4.3 as its happier and cooler.
Noctua DH15 cooler.
3 phanteks T30 case fans (brilliant)
64GB DDR4 3200, but about to push it to either 128:or 256 GB.
AMD 6900xt, but also a RTX A2000 for CUDA shenanigans…
2x1TB SSD, 1x6.4gb samsung pcie nvme, 1x5TB 2.5” drive.
Have a Optane 960GB drive about to go in.
Thunderbolt addin card
ASUS prime-A mobo, which replaced an MSI mobo that had issues and a wonderful overclocking EVGA Dark that had a failing dram slot :frowning: but i think i got a dud refreshed board and the warrantynexpiredmon me. The ASUS is ugly, but has been running flawlessly and overclocks better than the msi as it has better power delivery. It also has 3 nvme i think one U2 slot.

This build is just so good i havent got a good need to upgrade, tho in a year or so i would love to go W790 or threadripper. I dont go with the latest as j find better value with older kit…

Evenjelion computer I put together to replace my ailing Ryzen 5800x:

6 Likes

There’s so much extra room (Corsair 5000D Airflow). This case has so much fan space I’m assuming it was made for water cooling, but I like to keep things simple. It’s just an i5 and a baby 4070. And it made it so much easier to build in. I’m only buying big cases from now on.

This is the first mobo I’ve had where I couldn’t fit the RAM in slot 1 because of the CPU cooler (unless you intentionally misaligned the CPU cooler fan).

Also I did something REALLY stupid when I was building it. It looked like something tiny was stuck between some cpu pins on the mobo, like maybe a little shred of plastic or something. So I got my vacuum with the brush attachment thinking that would help, no noticing that there were dust bunnies on the brush. So when I went to go vacuum up the thing that was stuck, the dust bunnies got stuck on the CPU pins. So I picked out as much as I could with some tweezers, got the flat attachment for my vacuum, and sucked up the rest.

I was freaking out, but after I finished it basically looked brand new. And I’ve had no problems with it so far.

This feels wrong, but it works. I could have sworn the case was supposed to come with the RGB fans in the pictures, but it only came with one front and one rear, no RGB. So I just added a couple extra NZXT fans I had laying around.

Some day I might add the corsair RGB kit to the front, but it’s surprisingly quiet so I hate to mess with it.

5 Likes

Shinji is under the PSU shroud or inside the GPU? :wink: