Official Nintendo Switch Discussion and Updates Thread

If this is in fact pascal based I am sold.

This is more or less exactly what id want in a new Nintendo console these days.

7 Likes

Meh

there goes amd's winning streak on console design wins :D

Wonder how cheap nvidia offered it to nintendo?

Nintendo just announced their new hybrid console called the Switch. You can find more details in the phoronix article right here: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nintendo-Switch-Tegra

I dont know what to think of this other than "How the hell did they get skyrim to run on a Tegra CPU?"

1 Like

Im glad this is Tegra based. I was afraid Nintendo would release a competitive console that would be worth buying. Good thing thats not what they delivered

Interesting enough, I guess Bethesda decided it was worth to port skyrim to a proprietary OS running on an ARM-based platform. Still waiting on a linux port, but I guess thats just so much more difficult and costs so much more than porting the game to a completely differemt fucking architecture

2 Likes

This is a disaster in the making. On a purely physical mechanical engineering level.

I think Nintendo has surpassed all known and theoretical possible levels of autism, and has crossed into a parallel dimension of autism.

1 Like

Nintendo are doing the right thing here (from a business standpoint) because competing with Sony and Microsoft directly is a very bad idea and Nintendo know this.

My theory on the Switch is that they are creating a platform that would streamline production and distribution as they only have to design and produce a single device that is both a handheld and console. This should cut costs in R&D and game development because games won't have to be developed for each platform. It could make the numbers look better as obviously the Wii U sales are horrible especially when compared to the DS line which has mostly been stable, this way all sales are aggregated together so shareholders are less likely to complain even if all sales were in fact based on the handheld feature.

I'm not saying that it'll work, that it is a good idea, or even that that I agree with it, especially given how little we know about the actual specifications and price of the device and I am more than a little bit skeptical of it but I can say that it is a smarter move than directly competing with the other players in the market.

1 Like

I'm going to be that guy

Nintendo is going to be classic nintendo, relaunch the same beaten to death games for the Nth time, and rake in the cash from all of you. They'll toss in a few 3rd party games to make it more appealing

and that will be the end of it

tablet gaming is gimic, just like motion controls were for the first wii, and like the dopey hand held screen was for the U

2 Likes

So now I can trade in my soul to register my nintendo console for geforce experience to use shadow play for sharing my gameplay footage on youtube, so that nintendo will flag it for DMCA takedown?

AWESOME! That is my favorite game!

... moving on.

4 Likes

depends on if its backwards compatible, what the specs are and the support and if it can act as a normal but thick tablet.

Depends on the game, a game like Witcher 3 ain't doing 1080p 60 FPS unless the details are set to low, your better off with 720p Medium.

They seem to be counting on running more demanding games at 900p.

That thing costed $1500 when it came out, has very low battery life, granted it does have nearly twice the GPU power Intel HD 4400 has. And it was heavier than even the older Surface Pros, which weigh around 2 lbs.

That said, a controller like that for my SP2 would come in handy, but that never happened.

As for Nintendo cash cowing, that's true, however they still have quality games to offer, they just did not have enough and didn't have enough Third Party support. The new Zelder Scrolls say different, same with that 3D platforming Mario game, it's been a while. Get tired of Super Mario 3D World stuff. The quality of Wii U games for the most part have been very subpar compared to predecessors. I didn't nose dive into the Wii U, but I might consider the NX a couple months after launch or something.

But can you explain how tablet gaming is a gimmick? It's not comparable to the Wii's motion controllers being a gimmick, the Wii U had a gimmick with the Gamepad, but it wasn't a full fledge system packed into it.

Smash bros will sure be fun as hell if the wii u version can run on this!!!

So, I'm actually really intrigued by this. Obviously the specs, battery life, and title selection are ultimately going to make or break the system, but everything looks fairly promising thus far.

I think this has the potential to be a really nice companion to PC gaming.

1 Like

I'm still not getting the love. Even the women in the video are squeezing their hands to use the pads. This is made for Asia...

It's a rebranded shield running Nintendo software.
That is all.

With built in controls that can be detached, which actually, makes it more appealing than the NVidia Shield, that maybe the one thing missing on the Shield, but I think there is a way around that even.

I hope there's 3rd party controller support... The built in controller looks terrible...

The only thing terrible is the detachable gimmick where it is split into two controllers, other than that it's fine.