Official Nintendo Switch Discussion and Updates Thread

Changed title for general discussion and update

Trailer revealed.
Looks like a hybrid of the Wii U and 3ds
Was that Skyrim on there?
Leaks so far

Taken from
https://m.reddit.com/r/NintendoNX/comments/56jomc/leak_goodies_from_a_large_retail_partner/?utm_source=mweb_redirect&compact=true

"Base price point seems to be sitting at $299.99"
"Bundle price is currently sitting at $399.99"
From Nintendo NX subreddit

Wait, what's happening?
So as some of you know, we have this little blurb in the sidebar.

If you have sensitive or privileged information you would like to provide to the community, send it to the mod team. We will review it and if we feel there is sufficient proof to validate the information, we will post it on your behalf to protect your identity.
Well, for the first time in a very long time, someone has meet our requirements and provided what we feel to be sufficient proof.

We have done our best to confirm this individual's identity and we feel pretty confident about it. However, someone who is determined enough can fake damn near anything as evidenced by that 3D printed controller hoax from a while back. As always, make sure to take everything we're about to post with a grain of salt.

Verification
We have verified that our source works for a very large retailer. We have verified that this source is in a position to have access to this sort of information. Exact details of what was provided will not be released. We take protecting the identity of our sources very seriously. Our source has added the disclaimer that this is all initial information and subject to change as time goes on.

Note: As part of our responsible leaking policies, we will be re-writing the information we have been provided in our own words in the off chance that the specific verbiage used could help track down our sources identity. I have asked our source to monitor this post to make sure that the content we have re-written on their behalf is still accurate. There may be small edits or corrections as a result.

Marketing
"Interact with your game on the go." phrase seen on a poster.
Strong co-branding effort with a Mario launch title on many posters.
Console is currently set to launch with least 4 titles on deck.
Stores should be receiving demo units around February.
Base price point seems to be sitting at $299.99
Bundle
The NX is currently set to have a bundle option.
The contents of this bundle is currently unknown.
Bundle price is currently sitting at $399.99
Packaging
The packaging for the NX will be slightly larger than the Wii U's packaging.
The packaging is relatively clean and simple and is similar to the Wii U in terms of package design.
The color scheme for the packaging is white and blue (compared to the Wii U's blue and black).
The packaging still says "NX" however there is still no indication if this is a placeholder or the final name.
The areas of the packaging that would usually depict the hardware were blurred and redacted by Nintendo in attempt to keep it hidden.
Features and Specs
Games will be on cartridges - Information from another source leads us to believe that these will be about the size of a Compact Flash cards and will be in 32GB and 64GB variants. Even though this may seem low, the system reportedly contains a dedicated processor just for decompressing the card data. Best case scenario is ~100GB compressed into a 64GB cartridge, however real world usage pegs it at closer to ~85GB on a 64GB cartridge. Level based games and games with load screens will compress better than open-world style games. Edit: This secondary source (who had not yet completed verification) has been busted.
4k streaming has been mentioned. - What this likely means is playback of content such as Netflix, etc. Not gameplay.
1080p and 60fps are being used by the marketing teams in relation to gameplay on to the console portion. I've heard unconfirmed rumblings of 900p for the infamous hybrid part of the device.
We are currently sitting on more information from various other sources, however since they have either stopped responding to our messages or have not met our verification standards their information is not displayed here.

I'm also tethered to my phone since power/internet is on the fritz on account of the whole hurricane thing, so responses may be slow/limited until things stabilize a bit.

Thanks for being patient and hanging with us.

2 Likes

It looks interesting. The questions that need to be answered are:
Cost
Third Party Support
Battery Life
Storage space on the device

4 Likes

Cool idea.
How good will this work?
Third party games?
Backwards compatible?

4 Likes

Storage space is not really a big deal if it have SD card slot..
Anyways, price is more interesting.
As a concept looks good. The issue I see is, that as a concept WiiU looks good as well...
What I care more about, let's say what I care most about is backwards compatibility and 3rd party support. Skyrim is not a selling point.

1 Like

Dunno Splatoon(from wii u ) was there
Guess we will see in the coming months

Third party support looks promising based on this article

I think the main question is how well it will function outside of gaming, how well it will function as a tablet. It is clearly way bulkier than a 3ds or a smartphone, it is too cumbersome to carry around solely for gaming. And I really don't have much faith in Nintendo developing like a good web browser, especially with their tendency of trying to make their consoles ultra kid safe.

2 Likes

I want to be able to play Beyonetta 1&2, The wonderful 101, etc WiiU games, that I can't play elsewhere. With the already rich WiiU library and with some new add, this COULD be awesome.. Or it could not...

Appears to have a share button (ala PS4) on the left joy-con under the D-pad...
Yeah, joy-con... Like a happy jolly decepticon...

Picture of partners

Spotted Autodesk, I wondered for a second how one is supposed to generate CAD models on that thing...
...whoops!

1 Like

Could be the autodesk drawing software?

SketchBook? Could be.
My guess is that Meshmixer is used to generate the models for the characters in the games.

Or could be to do with their Stingray game engine.

3 Likes

Sigh...

Basically Nvidia is making the switch...

Figured Nintendo was just using the Nvidia chip, didn't think Nvidia was making the switch. That would explain the new secondary controller
Nvidia has experience with making probables so I hope that they do a good job

you know who else has experience making portables? nintendo.

nvidia is just making the chips n api

3 Likes

Looks interesting. Just wondering if you put in the dock, does it gave any extra power or it just charges and display on the bigger screen? And how much the battery life will last and the performance will be (along with the heat output).

1 Like

Wait..... Was that skyrim? That was skyrim wasn't it? Or ESO?

Yup, NX is real.

Yeah uhm...... So the NX will have FUCKING SKYRIM. HOLY SHIT. That is a MAJOR seller for it, even if it doesn't have mods. 25 bucks for that and 5 USD per DLC and that'll be huge.

2 Likes

Well its a tablet with a docking station isn't it. But really glad that Nintendo is finally giving the developers a better GPU to work with. Although game developers always did make some good games with the limited power they had.

3 Likes

think it looks interesting, Hope they make magic like they did on gamecube.

5 Likes