[Official] L1Techs KVM FAQ -- Ultimate Guide & Help!

@montagic I’m not sure, we can ask @wendell if he wants to clarify

You might consider a return since the new KVM will charge the Macbook and display it without needing adaptive cables.

Will update this post when the email waitlist is available :slight_smile:

How long is the return window? Do you know if he’d be willing to do an exchange as well? Would love to get on a waitlist :smiley:

You can always email him at “wendell at level1techs dot com” to see what he’s open to doing. Wouldn’t hurt to ask! (worst he can say is no lol)

Return window is 30 days after arrival I believe.

Hey @wendell, any update on this please? I had also emailed you. Sorry to bother you again :slight_smile:

Any recs for 3.5mm to 3.5mm cables? :slight_smile:

Hello all! I’ve searched FAQs and for a manual of some kind, but I’ve come up short. There is a lot to ingest in the forum, so I’m sorry if the answer is out here somewhere already.

I’ve moved from a TESmart KVM to the L1Techs KVM for the purposes of getting all that USB throughput goodness. However, there’s a feature I kind of miss and can’t find on my 2-monitor, 2-computer 1.4 DP KVM. I’m looking for an option where each PC can display a single screen so that I can review content from both machines simultaneously. This typically comes with the option to quickly switch the USB inputs from one PC to another on the fly with a hotkey.

Do the L1Techs Dual monitor KVMs support such a use-case?

@Level1_Amber a hub like this should work with the 10G KVM right?

In what way? Remember Macs don’t like daisy chained hubs.

Not daisy chaining any hubs. Just want to connect the dongle for my kb/mouse and the USB cables coming from my monitors plus a yubikey. The KVM doesn’t have enough input ports (I think?) so was thinking of connecting a hub

Or do you mean that the KVM is a hub so connecting a USB hub to the KVM will not make Macs like it since it thinks it is daisy chained?

The hub you’ve linked does power delivery. The hub would plug into a Mac then you’d use an a to c cable to go to the kvm…

The hub you’ve linked is type c. It’s not making logical sense what you want to do if you intend to use the type c wire to plug into the type c port on the kvm.

If you need more usb3 ports the hub would a( not do power delivery b) connect to the kvm with a type a connection.

Unfortunately, this isn’t a feature implemented into the KVMs

Would this work plugged into the KVM to provide more USB 3 ports? I need to connect DAC/webcam/mic and there aren’t enough USB 3 ports on the KVM alone for that

I thought the USB input ports are type C too. I now see that they are type A. My bad.

Has anyone had any success using a GoXLX with their KVM? Just setup my 2 display 2 pc 10gbps KVM yesterday and it works in all aspects except one: I can’t get audio to come out through the Line out of the GoXLR when it’s connected to the KVM through a powered hub, and it’s not detected at when plugged directly into the KVM (tried HID and non-HID, iirc). Not a huge deal if this isn’t a supported use case as I was likely going to move away from the GoXLR to a Universal Apollo of some sorts, especially given they’ve dropped support, but wanted to see if anyone had any success. I have a kind of unique setup in that my GoXLR is an interface for my XLR mic as well as a line out for my Schitt Magni Heresy, so maybe there’s a better way to route it.

Also, with 10gbps I’m assuming if I have a USB-C connection on my controller I should use that vs. a USB-C to USB 3.0, or is it fine? Just didn’t want to take up the only USB-C I have on my desktop if I don’t need to.

Besides all that really loving the KVM. My Alienware AW3423DWF is running both on PC and Mac at 1440p, 175hz which the TESSmart could not do :smiley: For those of you using a MBP with their KVM, do you use an additional hub for USB-C devices, and plug into that to get an extra port? I’m using all 3 for power and 2 monitors now, which means my USB-C yubikey has nowhere to live :sweat:

Should be fine I think, but be careful if you have a MAC. There’s more info about that in the FAQ

For the 10G KVM, I can use a C to A cable right for USB devices? One of my devices has 2 TB USB-C ports and 1 USB-A port and both the C ports connect to the KVM’s DP ports, so only the A port is left.

Also how important is length for USB connections to connect devices to the 10G KVM (via the C to C cable)? C to C cables from Club3D are either 2.xx ft or 16ft apparently :smiley: (edit: found a 2m club3d cable which is a more optimal length :slight_smile:)

Yes a to c is fine for going into the kvm. Length isn’t super important but if your devices drop and then immediately reconnect that can be a sign of an overloaded cable either data or power