NZXT Hue + a look inside

Hi,
after seeing @wendell s video of the NZXT Hue + i finally got myself to take pictures of my already scratched and opened lighting controller.

Join me on this tour!
Info is above each picture. Speaking of info, this is the proof that this is a hue +.

The screws are under the sticker. Stupid me who scratched up the hole outside with screwdrivers before thinking.
Now i won't ever be able to sell this piece of crap!

Look onto the PCB with 3 white LEDs. Still don't know why they haven't made them RGB!

the PCB from below, where everything is located.

a closer look at the main controller.
STM8S207 8bit MC.

The USB part an MCP2200 USB Bridge

A closer look at the traces here

The LEDs used are WS2812b individualy controlable RGB LEDs.

They need around 5V and a precise timed signal to be controlled.
To get the timing right, you need to know how many of those LEDs you have.
That's why each channel consists of 4 pins.

Controler:        LEDS:         Description
5V                   5V  
DI                    In  / Out       The Signal
GND                 GND          
ADC                 FD                10 Ohm Resistor from between FD/ADC and Ground.

The controller detects the amount of LEDstrips through a simple voltage-divider.
4 strips = 40 LEDS have 2.5 Ohms of resistance.

That means, that you can easily get different WS2812 (b) LEDstrips and that you can use them with this controller if you only use 40 LEDS per channel and if you solder a specific amount of resistance between GND and ADC.
2.5Ohms for 40 LEDs.

Note1: Even when you put more then 40 LEDs onto one channel, only 40 will light up.
Note2, if one channel stopped working, its probably just the big fuse below the connectors.

That was basically everything in terms of hardware EXCEPT the USB Bridge.

USB Bridge is for a different time.

Overall this is a nice design, pretty cheap parts.
Why have i paid 60 for that ?
Why is it so fuc**n huge ?
And why does the software not run on linux ?
NZXT ?

3 Likes

Reason

Reason

Reason

5 Likes

Could you please re-upload all the images they are all missing or please message me the images thanks :smiley:

3 Likes

I see them as broken, but this is kind of a necro

what do you mean by that ?

just asking

Reviving old post, usually frowned upon. I personally don't care but some people don't like it. The post was from July 16 Almost an entire year ago, OP might no longer be on the boards/have the photos laying around.

I just searches google and found some of them

should I re link the images ? I got most of them off of google images :smiley:

Eh might as well in case some looks for this again

hows that :smiley:

hopefully they will last longer then the last ones.

they should if not they are on google under NZXT Hue+ a look inside

holy moly.
Well, i still have the pictures and i still have the hue+.
So in case someone needs info on something to fix his / hers i'd gladly deliver.

@RageBone Hi! I know that this topic created some time ago… But may be you could give me USB PID/VID of NZXT Hue+ device (from device information manager)? I want to try to simulate Hue+ with Arduino and some other stuff.

1 Like

sure, on my way.

Well it looks like this thread is still going strong :smiley:

Glad that this has helped many more people

I will be trying this out

but with a twist I will be adding a variable resistor (also known as a Trim Pot in the electronic tech world)

lets just see how far I get with this I will also be needing to solder a 5 volt power source directly to the board because the jack has been scorched by a spark.

The unit still works but I no longer have the power plug as it was melted and broken it caused the short

My friend got shocked by it (his Pc was running a 1000 Watt power supply) he was in pain after that :frowning: he is OK now.

Wish me luck :smiley:

Well, maybe ?

Connectors don’t normally spark them self dead.

But you should be fine if you remove any shorts left.
There shouldn’t be any problem soldering on the power-source.

Good that your mate is well again.

Good luck.

1 Like