Nx2l's Home Lab blog

KUBERNETES IS AWESOME

that is all. Carry on.

1 Like

Is it awesome for all of the things or just specific scenarios?

Are you running kubernetes @nx2l? All these hardware posts, I forgot what you’re actually doing with it…

@wendell, do you have a preference between RHEL and Ubuntu kubernetes implementations?

No… Im not Reavessm is.

If I had a need for more physical systems I’d give it a try, But with one compute machine. Theres no point IMO.

1 Like

been watching some intro videos to ansible… hoping to have a project at work soon where I can expand on this “skill”

So my zfs on linux storage server…
I decided to check the stats.
Seems pretty healthy for over 11 months of power_on_hours and 1.1 billion write cmds

2 Likes

Trying to start work on converting my network to vlan tagging.
So if I am not around the next day or two… i broke something.

1 Like

Went better than I expected… Only took about 43 steps, and thousands of lost ICMP packets.

a few times.

On a good note… I hope to add my dmz as a VLAN to my proxmox box so I can maybe create/migrate some services to my compute server.

I also freed up about 6 Ethernet ports, b/t my 2 switches and router.

6 Likes

When you can please expand on this? I feel like I may have missed something critical in my homelab.

1 Like

any thing in particular you want to know?

Well I assume instead of separate nics to separate the traffic you are using the vlan tagging and one nic? maybe just a small breakdown of how you were setup before the vlans and how it is now.

Pretty much.

My router has 4 ports that are all in a linux bridge, the vlans run on top of that.
My router also has 2 other (motherboard) nics in a bridge that connects to my dmz (then modem).

4 vlans plus dmz

To clean up cabling some, until I finish putting my mobile cart together,I have two switches in use.
A trunk from my router to each. Then two trunk ports going to my proxmox. (also uses bridges , but I should reconfigure them into one bridge instead of separate ones)

To put a VM on a certain VLAN , i just configure as such:

1 Like

How many different vlans?
Management vlan or a certain set of vm get put on certain vlans?

I dont use any of the defaults…

right now, most of my VMs are on vlan 24

I just created one on vlan 92 as a test to make sure its working (its the dmz that I setup about an hour ago)

vlan 20 is my wifi… so might not end up putting anything on there from my proxmox… idk

1 Like

Anyone know what this means?

edit

after installing compat-glibc
error is now:

Getting closer… Will need to redo it all with shorter cabling… But baby steps.

2 Likes

I have ipaudit partly working… I dont have all traffic visible to it yet… but im working on it.
The graphs also seem to be broken. But that might be a gnuplot issue.

FWIW, I find it handy to correlate the vlan number to the 3rd octet in the network address.

By default, I make the following vlans in any network:

On-boarding (default vlan)
Network management
Admin
Server gateways
Client

Additionally, I’ll usually have:

OOBM
Jumbo frame
Domain (Samba and/or ipa)
Iot

I plan to incorporate private vlans soon, but haven’t gotten around to it. Your tip on expect scripts will be very helpful in that endeavor though.

1 Like

Right now I’ve been working on a VM for squid. To cache Fedora and centos repos.

Also making a VM for nfs for my raspberry pi to use.

2 Likes

This should come in handy later…