NVIDIA To Officially Support VESA Adaptive Sync (FreeSync) Under “G-Sync Compatible” Branding

Yes this is true.

I have not seen anywhere say why this is at all.

1 Like

I just got the new gsync driver. (got a 144hz freesync mon from zowie) seems to work well for battlefield V and never-run-properly games like pubg especially with fps ranging between 55-250.

Should be noted that it’s an optional part.

2 Likes

Freesync 2 is also now a qualifiable standard. Even AMD is locking it down to a spec. Makes sence.

Having freesync open let a lot of monitors meet it and get sales on that.

Now nvidia has caved. All that matter is it stays OPEN STANDARD and the AMD / Nvidia card both work.

Last thing I want is Nvidia or AMD forking the standard off spec to fuck with consumers. Keep it simple and open standard.

P.S I know I will lose. Off spec open standard is incoming. I see the dark in companies.

2 Likes

I wonder who came up with that idea on the VESA board. :wink:

1 Like

Rtings tested a bunch of monitors for Nvidia’s Freesync.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tests/motion/g-sync-compatible

1 Like

I did some digging, it looks like nvidia laptops with Optimus feature can’t use an external adaptive sync monitory since they’re tethered to the iGPU. Only laptops that manually allows you to select the Nvidia card as a discrete video adapter will work with external gsync monitors.

I have to let out the elephant in the room:

WINDOWS 10 ONLY.

M$ paid them to lock down this feature to Windows 10 only.

No thanks. When Linux drivers gets it, I’ll pay more attention.

No one cares about Linux.

FreeSync doesn’t really work on Linux either.
And most DEs are a tearfest from the getgo.

Well, that’s certainly true for 10bit color on Linux which will never be fixed.

Adaptive Sync, 10bit color, Wide Color Gamut and HDR are impossible right now on Linux, and will be for years.

As much as DXVK and Proton are advancing, suck it up and just get a GPU Passthrough VM cause nothing is going to get any better.

*what does the fox say?*

NVIDIA have put out FreeSync capable beta drivers for LINUX! 418.30!

Testing with my Viewsonic VX3211-4K-MHD… Well, now I see why LFC is so important. The ideal FreeSync range is 48-144hz with LFC.

Also, you have to enable flipping in order to activate G-Sync Compatible and turn off Force (Full) Composition Pipeline.

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/142166/en-us

Phoronix article:

https://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=27480

GamingOnLinux article:

2 Likes

Well, that is interesting.
Does AMD support FreeSync on Linux?

Mesa and Kernel have to both support them at the same time, (Bleeding edge Kernel and Mesa) but with this, it’s literally turn it on in nvidia-settings.

AMD touts that LFC is AMD cards only, but that could be challenged if LFC also works on NVIDIA GPUs.

Also, for newcomers to FreeSync, consistent frame times are very important to avoid jerkiness or flicker. A wide refresh range is also very important.

Would be nice to see a L1 review on the nvidia linux driver with freesync @wendell

AMDGPU is still only adding patchs to support it still. However AMD’s patches are going direct into the kernel so it not meant to be fast.

1 Like

And that’s the big difference. It’s literally some nvidia-settings GUI tweaks away for making the settings stick for the session, and some xorg.conf tweaks to make it permanent. No worrying about upstream kernel or mesa.

I can make a short section on it in my ViewSonic VX3211-4K-MHD review once my replacement X79 processor arrives.

Happy to report 418.30 also works in a Kubuntu VM with FreeSync as long as your QEMU XML has the code 43 workaround.

1 Like

Protip: Unigine Valley works better in OpenGL on Windows as opposed to DirectX 11 for G-Sync compatible FreeSync. DirectX 11 frame times are too inconsistent for smooth output to the display in that specific benchmark, but OpenGL runs smoothly. LFC also works as intended on Nvidia cards as long as your frame times are consistent.

1 Like

Whoo hoo! Die HDMI, die!

To be fair, it does have CEC, but I’d really pick DisplayPort over HDMI any day.
Plus it prevents me from accidentally buying a IoT-ridden smartTV rather than a dumb monitor.

1 Like

If I recall correctly, LFC (I’m using it as a general term here) is done with both G-Sync and FreeSync setups. The difference is that AMD does it on the driver/GPU side, whereas Nvidia was using their G-Sync chip on the monitor.

It should be possible for Nvidia to add a driver-side or GPU-side implementation of LFC for non-G-Sync monitors, right?

I am right there with you. I hate when old and since surpassed standards stick around for little reason.

And as for CEC I have never encountered a properly working version of it. Almost anything claiming compatibility will power on just fine with the set top box but never off again so you still need two remotes or to press the button on the TV… HDMI Consumer Electronic Control my ass.

1 Like