Nvidia embraces competition in it's very own way

I think nvidia was VERY careful in how they chose their wordings and i think if they play their cards right they might get away with this. Would not be hard for nvidia to spin this as a “Assisted Partner” brand. They are not killing off competition, they are ensuring their brand is represented in a consistent method across competing brands. The thing that might save them is the part where they ask for exclusive rights to their own gaming brand. They are not asking for only nvidia gaming cards but a only nvidia brand

1 Like

I just hope AMD does exactly what was in the AdoredTV video: Talk to every company and come up with something that achieves the same goal in a cooperative way and end up with even better branding.

I also hope someone leaks the illegal shit out of this GPP and nvidia has to pay a fine so big that Jensen can’t afford his leather fetish anymore.

That would be a fun day.

7 Likes

I could never equate the two. AMD may have gave hardOCP a hint but they did not fabricate events or provided them with any concrete conclusions and let them make their own investigation. The conclusions are fully based on what Nvidia is actually trying to do. There are no fabricated events (at least that is how it seems).

CTS seem like an outright smear and fear mongering campaign against AMD. Not trying to defend AMD (it is a for-profit company after all) but in both cases it seems to be the party that is actually treated unfairly.

The CTS thing seems to me to be as an investing scam trying to manipulate AMD stock to make money.

The GPP looks to me as a shady reaction to Intel/AMD trying to kick Nvidia GPUs out of the laptop/mobile market with the IntelCPU+VEGA lines. The gaming branding on laptop tends to be really important recently for sales.

1 Like

UltraG (short for Ultrabook Gaming) does not sound to bad as a name for gaming focused notebooks. Intel owns the Ultrabook label anyway, so why not expand it?

That would be an interesting idea for sure…That is basically similar to what AdoredTV proposes.

Your brain works in strange ways… :smiley:

1 Like

Timestamped.

The most interesting stuff (because of his retail history) is starting at 31:30.

Also 47:25 is worth it if you want to see Luke laughing at Linus being in pain. xD

2 Likes

Perhaps this should be in a new topic, but am I the only one that feels stuff like this may one day severely hinder technological progress?

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure it already is.

4 Likes

Well, that isn’t primarily what a public company is supposed to produce, right?

It always has been and always will be.
Just think Edison vs. Tesla, what a shitshow that was.
Or even better: the phoebus cartel.

You’d think… lol

My hope was, perhaps, that we might evolve past that. But alas, greed is a powerful trait.

1 Like

I think this went too far out of context, as he was talking about stifling of progress.

Yes, I would agree that a company is supposed to be succeeding through innovation, but the trouble comes when they instead focus on hindering progress in the name of profits. This isn’t a problem for capitalism or the company specifically, but it’s a problem for the rest of us.

3 Likes

Looks like the screwage has begun:

AMD “gaming” branding has started to disappear from retailers according to a Reddit thread:

2 Likes

Damn. That was fast.

4 Likes

Ever since this was unveiled by Kyle of HardOCP I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…

“Nvidia…the way it’s meant to be paid.”

I guess Jen-Hsun must have written some pretty fat checks. Sad to see AMD losing the GPU wars so hard, at least the mining demand is giving them R&D budget.

2 Likes

its sad to see but this is the fork in the road and things are going to get more pronounced from now on…

Don’t know about you lot but it feels like its basically end game now with both companies not even trying to co-exist and plotting the demise of the other :smiley:

Amd will eat up the low end and nvidia is left to the ‘high end’ (backed up with proprietary software which makes damn sure they keep their ‘high end’ advantage).

Improvements in integrated across both amd and intel will mean nvidia will have to ‘innovate’ in other ways to stay relevant.

Look how long Intel fucked us on CPU’s, 4 cores 8 threads for years.

1 Like

when it was amd vs intel in the heights of the battle, intels ‘Cripple amd’ compiler was one of the key things that worked well against amd

http://www.agner.org/optimize/blog/read.php?i=49

I see Gameworks as nvidia’s equivalent to that.

nvidia = optimized way of doing the task

notnvidia = rock dumb code path…

Same thing in my eyes, unless amd has a miracle up their sleeves I see more bad things ahead for desktop gpus.

3 Likes

NVIDIA is going for the kill shot with this. RTG had an opening had they been able to make Vega a contender this GPP doesnt happen. Because Vega is so meh for gaming and was never really in supply with no real barriage of cards on the way NVIDIA is pouncing.