Nvidia embraces competition in it's very own way

That is a great thing to argue about but should have it’s own thread.
Please. :wink:

For a company to keep on making an objectively good product it needs competition to motivate it to do so. If there are no competitors worthy of creating the incentive to improve, you can still have the best product and give really awful value for price objectively. The issue with the shady practices is that they give dominance irrelevant of product quality.

If you have a clear market dominance using such practices the product quality and progress saturates affecting all of the 4 factors you are taking about while still having the best product. The best product is relative by definition.

Should the consumer care? Yes since it affects the products he uses and his expenses and the technology he uses affects pretty much every aspect of his everyday life. It is 2018 the user is by now almost identical to the citizen. At least in developed countries.

1 Like

@anon79053375
I just scroll by these threads tbh. The bias is super obvious and nobody really tries to deny it so, it’s less like a discussion and more like a gathering of people who feel a certain way. Which is fine and all, but there’s really nothing to contribute unless you feel like the majority of the thread.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m not trying to shit up the thread so maybe you could delete that if you’re feeling charitable. Just trying to give people a wide birth to discuss what they want.

I feel like this topic is highly polarizing and everything useful that’s gong to be said has already been said.

I think this story is still developing, but emotions are running high for some reason.

Products and market behavior are different things but the two are being conflated here.

3 Likes

Wait hold on a few bad posts does not mean toxicity :slight_smile: please keep it open so we don’t create new topics when news arise in the future.

2 Likes

I’m not gonna close it. However, I’m just not sure how much more we can talk about the market behavior without new evidence. But by all means, chat away friends.

1 Like

A reminder for all to stay on topic. Thanks.

2 Likes

WTF, didn’t see that at all. Wendell on Tech Showdown about GPP:

… also boiler snake at 41:00.

1 Like

As I understand it, Nvidia is violating Article 101 section 3 b of the EU:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:12008E101&from=EN

Maybe not. They don’t seem to be doing it over here. At least I can easily find MSI Gaming X RX580s on the German website. The GPP probably has a clause like “if legal in location” or something. Or the German website just isn’t updated yet. I’ll keep an eye on that.

1 Like

Guess I will pre-write the email and send it out the day it happens.

So the question here is: Do enough of the market share care about this to the point where flat-out refusing to buy Nvidia products will possibly persuade them to drop the program?

Probably not.
People buy the same game with different skin every other year, else ElectronicFarts and Ubi$hit would not be doing it.

1 Like

Nope, when ever AMD fucks up, the shitstorm around it is usually bigger.

3 Likes

#vega

yeah, that’s a really sad situation in my eyes.

The timing of this is quite good. The parallels with the current agrument sum it up nicely in my view.

If these allegations turn out to be true then it poses nVida is not wanting to advance or innovate and is just looking to start a war for the sake of stealing the market.

Yeah I understand that they need to make money for their investors but this method would be a short term boost rather than the long term betterment of everything which in turn brings even more money. It is a problem I think of the life span of people, we cannot see past our own death so want to cash in as quick as possible rather than help everyone and improve everything including the ammout of money to be made.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t you do that if you could?

Sure. Companies do whatever is legal to get more money. They have to.
Which is why Europe made sure that you can’t here.

But please let’s not forget that this isn’t only about Nvidia vs AMD.
This is Nvidia vs. AMD, Intel, Asus, MSI and Gigabyte.
And the only outcome I can see is: we lose.

3 Likes