North bridges are hot

The north bridges on my board are very hot. they were both hitting temps upward of 90 to 100c. I had to install a 50mm fan between them to bring them down to a reasonable temp.

Why didn't this board come with a fan already mounted on these? Is a 100c somehow ok for a north bridge? the board is an X8DTH-IF

probably because they expect it to be in a server chassi with crazy airflow?

It is , however , they run hot enough where ambient air passing the heatsinks isn't enough , I had to place a fan directly on the heatsink for them to be reasonable.

They still run at about 55c while the cpu's both idle in their 30's. I've just never had a board that had a southbridge need anything more then a simple heatsink.

Is there any change that I have a bios setting wrong , like I'm accidently overclocking the machine / have some sort of power setting wrong? the bios is pretty much at defaults

was this picked up new? perhaps the thermal compound is junk so it isnt transfering heat. are the heatsinks themselves hot to the touch?

The heatsinks were hot like a light bulb. (old school light bulbs)

and no the board is used. I suppose the north bridge could have thermal paste dried up , just didn't think somthing so small with such a basic small heatsink could have this massive of an overheat even with dried paste.

honestly I'm not sure. they shouldn't be that hot. but i like you don't belive dried paste would cause it. are you using both cpu sockets with the ram filled/ first slots filled.

I would try to factory reset the bios. taking note of any changes you did before

They can run that hot. I wouldn't overclock or anything like that though. If your case allows for it place a fan exhausting heat right above it.

well the bios actually is factory , the only change that was made was the boot order with cd first. but both cpu sockets are filled , but only 2 ram slots are in use.

But what I meant by not needing paste is , I didn't think the north bridge actually needed any form of paste because I thought it didn't really get that hot. kinda like how ram sticks have heat spreaders but really don't get hot enough to have paste.

Yes my main system uses an Intel DG31PR mobo with a Core 2 Quad Extreme and the North bridges gets to 120C. But once its gets there it generally doesn't go higher.

Wow that's not good , you should use a fan too.

that is pretty hot... is it dangerous? probably not.
I've never heard of it running that hot without extreme overclocking.

Supposedly its a common issue with this board. But also I don't have a fan now and my CPU also gets hot but since the board and CPU is about to be 10 years old I'm gonna upgrade... I have an AMD GPU and my CPU is bottle necking the system (plus it uses DDR2) Sooo Im not to concerned. Plus a few transistors came off but it still woks some how.

Well I definitely have to be concerned as this is a pretty important machine for me at least.

I don't deny that a northbridge can get hot , but I think anything that has a heat sink on it that obviously isn't working definitely needs to be corrected. I mean , it's a microchip , and if it gets hot it can burn out.

What do you use the mobo for?

Everything , daily tasks to gaming to effects rendering. The rendering is where the two cpu's really get used.

I would consider that to be hot even for a server board designed to withstand such temperatures for decent amounts of time. I would just removing the heatsinks and it maybe prudent to make sure your thermal pads or grease is not worn out or that the heat sink is seated properly.

Could be because its a server/workstation board? I just realized they were designed to be in sealed case with high RPM fans moving air all the time. Some server boards are even designed to have airflow channels.

If the heatsinks are hot I would have thought that would be an indication that they are doing their job of transferring heat.

The board however is of a form factor that doesn't have air passing the north bridges but rather has them tucked under the expansion slots. It's essentially ATX. While the heat sinks are facing front to back which meant the air should pass over them , they are in a lame spot in general. plus they are very shallow to allow cards to fit.

well yes an no , yes they are receiving heat , but they are not dissipating it.