North bridges are hot

Well, the north bridge on your motherboard has a TDP of 27 watts, mainly because it has to provide 36 lanes of PCIe 2.0. It's a server board designed for a server chassis with a buttload of airflow. You need to put a fan or two over those heat sinks if you want to keep the temperatures at check.

1 Like

Yes , but the board didn't already have them , the issue wasn't that fresh air isn't getting to them , it was that it wasn't being directly forced onto them.

What I'm saying is this , I can't envision a situation where these would have been cooled without a fan directly on them.

Because moving air across them even with higher speed fans , wasn't enough. Also , the expansion slots are in the way meaning if I wasn't lucky enough to have only a gpu in it , I would have no way to actually cool them down

Climate controlled server room, Get one of those.

Well it's currently 55 outside and my heat is set to 65.

Looking at the board I'd say the heat sinks would get a good amount of air flow in a typical server case with cool air from the front being exhausted out the back of the case. It would flow right over those heat sinks past the expansion cards out the back.

this