No Internet on Fresh Windows 8.1 Install

I have recently upgraded to Intel (Xeon 1231 V3 and Asus Z97 Pro Gamer) from AMD (8350 and Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0). I put together the parts, installed Windows and such, but when I try to connect to the internet, it doe not work. I am using an Ethernet port and it initially said that there was no network adapter driver present. I went to Asus website, downloaded, and installed the driver and it now says it’s connected, but nothing actually loads. Is there any sort of guide to a fix?

to fix... dont use windows 8.1....

seriously though... try to live boot linux from a usb. if internet works on linux then its a problem with windows. if not, its a problem with your network.

EDIT: windows 8 is notorious for all kinds of internet problems.

If you can access the internet using another computer that is a start.

Go to the manufactors website for you Motherboard.
Get the current drivers for you onboard NIC.
Once you have the driver file download, put on USB then transfer to PC needed.
Then you should be able to install that needed driver.

1 Like

I´m not sure where this is based on?

my own personal experience. I had windows 8.1 on my laptop for a long time, and for about a month i could not connect to the internet based on how many issues there was with it. both with Ethernet and wireless.

Guessing you're getting an error message in your browser?

Ah okay, i personaly never realy had issues with Windows 7 or 8.1 wenn it comes to "wired" internet connectivity.
Anyway, maybe a router restart might help.

He could also check if he does has an internet connection, by just going into the command line, and ping a website.
Or check the ip configuration table ipconfig /all, if its getting a correct ip back from the modem / router.

this is true. I always forget that windows has a command line too :P

http://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/Z97-PRO%20GAMER/HelpDesk_Download/

The closest thing to a NIC driver is the LAN download which I already did. It was unsuccessful.

How would I ping a website? I typed in ipconfig /all, but what do I do with the information?

Yup. It says:
This page can't be displayed

Make sure the web address http://go.microsoft.com is correct.
Look for the page with your search engine.
Refresh the page in a few minutes.

Fix connection problems <----A button I've used and it says it's the sites problem a not my computers but I doubt that.

just type in ping www.google.com

if it works you will see 4 packets and some statistics

if it doesnt work it should throw an error, something like "your request timed out"

Worked but I still can't connect to the internet.

take a screen shot of your ping and post it here

open CMD.

ping 8.8.8.8

OR

ping www.google.com

didn't realize you had already replied.

oops.

I can't post a screen shot if my desktop (the one with the issues) cannot do it. I'll take a picture with my phone and post it shortly.

Try this.
Open your CMD as admin.

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip resest
ipconfig /flushdns

Then reboot your PC.

use the snipping tool...

start menu > all programs > accessories > snipping tool