Nintendo Vs The Smash Bros Community

A major tournament, The Big House, was recently cancelled by Nintendo through a cease and desist order.

Nintendo’s Response

Nintendo appreciates the love and dedication the fighting game community has for the Super Smash Bros. series. We have partnered with numerous Super Smash Bros. tournaments in the past and have hosted our own online and offline tournaments for the game, and we plan to continue that support in the future. Unfortunately, the upcoming Big House tournament announced plans to host an online tournament for Super Smash Bros. Melee that requires use of illegally copied versions of the game in conjunction with a mod called “Slippi” during their online event. Nintendo therefore contacted the tournament organizers to ask them to stop. They refused, leaving Nintendo no choice but to step in to protect its intellectual property and brands. Nintendo cannot condone or allow piracy of its intellectual property.

I posted about this in my blog. I decided to make a thread since there is ongoing updates

Need toform a coalition of people to unite in solidarity against nintendo.

This unauthorized bread shall not be allowed to stand.

8 Likes

I am really hoping the Melee community can push through with the court of public opinion. They have been able to do so in the past.

That would be interesting. I think you can get a lot of retro, emulation, and switch repair and modders activists on board.

Though for it to be successful, Louis Rossmann’s efforts and videos in the right to repair industry would be a good resource. He has had moderate success, but has been getting disheartened by the lack of change in consumer and legislative perception for right to repair.

I hope the internal view of communities Nintendo has neglected changes as new execs take over. I think the toughest will be rallying regular Nintendo consumers to the cause. They are pretty similar to Apple consumers.

3 Likes

Another update, with examples of how Nintendo has taken advantage of events the community have hosted. Furthermore, the post talks about how Nintendo has actively prevented Super Smash Bros from becoming a Esport

News Articles

Mirrored

Video Coverage

Source

https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1srfu4r
2 Likes

But… why? And how?

“illegally copied versions of the game” <-- Is this an international tournament? Because last time I checked, there’s nothing illegal with making a copy of a game you own OR then modifying that said game…

It’s ironic that the company that named a character after a lawyer who fought a frivolous lawsuit engages in continous frivolous legal maneuvers in order to prevent activities that they could literally never prove damages on…

3 Likes

domestic US tournament, they were using their ip protections to send a cease and desist for the stream

Gotcha so they accused them of using “illegal copies” without that having to actually have anything to do with anything or in any way being true… but that’s irrelevant to their legal shenanegans…

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m curious what the whole “illegal copies” thing comes from.

1 Like

The assumed Nintendo explanantion is that people playing slippi, are using a pirated rom, but most people playing have a physical copy of melee.

With all the recent news, it seems less about piracy and more about stifling the development of Smash Bros as a Esport

1 Like

Nintendo is trash at PR etc, this is not surprising in the least. Really wish they would learn how to do it correctly.

2 Likes

Imagine all the truckloads of money they could make if they embraced the community efforts and support Melee as its own class of eSport. Looks at Valve and DOTA2.

It’s those god damn Melee players perfecting a game we haven’t sold in nearly 20 years that are stealing our profits somehow!

5 Likes

only if they could somehow release a gamecube game on switch, that’s never been done before, oh wait

nintendo needs to quit this shit, like how the sent a C&D to the developer of AM2R and then released Samus returns, which was a steaming pile

2 Likes

This is the same publisher behind ultimate, so the online play will be crazy laggy

a lot of the times the reason why the netcode is so ass on japanese games is because japans internets is so great you can’t even tell

2 Likes

Is Nintendo allergic to profit or something?

4 Likes

I dunno, maybe all that switch money is going to their heads

You’d think that more money would help that issue.

2 Likes

NOA recently got a new head since reggie stepped down so that might have something to do with it, though I doubt it

1 Like

So watched some more stuff on it , to me it seems like its more an issue of distribution yet again. They dont sell melee anymore and there was no way to play online. Someone made online option with emulator, so the issue the DRM and the ease of pirating. Supposedly you can use a disk with the emulator, but even that would be gray area. If the just released a digital edition playable on newer gear people would buy it, fuck they could probably hire the people doing it now for cheap and save a ton on the dev side of things.

1 Like

It’s specifically that you HAVE to use an ISO instead of a disk because you have to apply a patch directly to the ISO. (Which once again is NOT illegal whatsoever - Nintendo is just giving me a reason to stop buying their crap).

2 Likes