bedHedd's blog because discourse > twitter

I learned how to add a second taskbar and how to tweak the taskbar in Cinnamon yesterday.
I posted the experience below

2 Likes

Carlos has really stepped up the jazz arrangement game. The range of instruments this man has in arrangements in recent years have increased dramatically from the start of just a keyboard.

For example, this arrangement has a a good variety of instruments.

I found his channel while looking for piano covers of pokemon music
These were my favorite piano covers
I was looking for victory road from Pokemon Platinum

I found these while listening to the playlist

I am a serious sucker for RSE piano covers

By far my favorite jazz cover is one

1 Like

Added a better preview icon and description of this blog. Hopefully I can stay active even as life gets busy :slight_smile: .

Thought of this after switching to Cinnamon

You can view my switch to Cinnamon here

I also uploaded to twitter in case if other’s source it

Watching all the videos about The Big House Tournament getting cancelled gave me the idea to make this meme

For more context here’s some videos explaining the situation

Situation Explained

Business Legal Perspective

A Explanation of How Competitive is Played

Reactions from the Melee and gaming community

Ludwig (Melee community)

Toph (Melee community and commentator)

Turndownforwalt (Melee community and analyst)

Omni (previously in Melee community)

Penguinz0 (gaming community)

SomeOrdinaryGamers (gaming community)

Maximilian Dood (fighting games community)

iBDW (rising pro player)

Leffen (pro player)

Mew2King (top pro player)

Hungrybox (top pro player)

Armada (retired pro player)

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Nintendo Vs The Smash Bros Community

Can’t wait to see the FD Rotary Road Trip

discord changed emote menu icon. That’s pretty neat

Been watching a lot of ordinary things

If I had to describe the style, the format is pretty similar to nakeyjakey, instead of sitting on a medicine ball behind a green screen he sits on a futon and other furnature pieces

with a delivery similar to knowledge hub

The topics are varied and is a hybrid between Knowledge Hub and Jake Tran

1 Like

Wow Nintendo is really speedrunning any% burn all community bridges

First Smash,

Then Splatoon,

Now this

1 Like

It’s a matter of time before Nintendo goes after Nintendo game streamers

Summary of this week

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/post-what-new-thing-you-acquired-recently/149881/5839?u=bedhedd

hmm seems that the images didn’t embed because the thread is private to people who have forum accounts

IMG_20201211_140327|720x540

Had all the features I was looking for

• Ammoled screen
  • Headphone jack
  • Microsd
  • Finger print reader
  • USB C
  • $200-300 US
  • Bonuses
    • dual sim
    • 90 hz
    • NFC
    • Android 9

At this point, I don’t really care about mobile processors, as long as it is good enough to run DS Games and have decent battery life. After all, I am not a mobile gamer.

My old huawei mate SE screen was starting to pop out. I think the battery was starting to go
https://forum.level1techs.com/t/the-lounge-for-the-sophisticated-shut-in-edition/159822/14416?u=bedhedd

2 Likes

This song has been in my head when I was writing this

I got a new phone the Realme XT.

the issue

I wanted the phone to ask which browser before opening the app, unfortunately oppo had chrome as the default, and chrome was unable to be removed/disabled (even after uninstalling all the chrome updates).

I decided to document my process of solving the problem here

the research

I decided to search realme disable google apps
I found this xda forum thread

that had the following as a solution

using adb on fedora linux

updated instructions

1. setup android usb debugging
  2. navigate to the directory cd /platform-tools
  3. run ./adb + command for all adb commands
  4. pair your android with adb using ./adb devices and click allow on your phone
  5. initialize adb shell ./adb shell
  6. run your pm commands

the solution

I ran pm list packages | grep googleand found the gboard and google search packages. Then I tried looking for chrome the way to find it was to run pm list packages | grep android

to delete the packages, I ran pm uninstall -k --user 0 <package name> to remove the google search, gboard, and chrome.

examples

remove youtube

• pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.youtube
    remove chrome
  • pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.chrome
    remove gboard
  • pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.inputmethod.latin
    remove google search
  • pm uninstall --user 0 com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox
    remove google photos
  • pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.apps.photos
    remove google hotword
  • pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.hotwordenrollment.okgoogle
    remove google lens
  • pm uninstall --user 0 com.google.ar.lens
    remove google assistant
  • pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.apps.googleassistant
    remove facebook
  • pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.facebook.services
  • pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.facebook.katana
  • pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.facebook.system
  • pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.facebook.appmanager
    remove linkedin
  • pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.linkedin.android
    remove tidal
  • pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.tidal.campaigninstaller

tiny bits

When I was uninstalling the chrome package I accidentally ran pm uninstall -k --user 0 android, luckily the phone denied the request and disconnected from my computer. I thought I had borked the phone.

After removing chrome, I decided to remove facebook since, I didn’t think it was actually removed. Running pm list packages | grep facebook found the facebook packages. I removed each individually.

reflection

After using Linux for 4 years and solving problems in the command line, I have gotten me more comfortable with the command line. I doubt I would have felt as comfortable running these commands

1 Like

So Oppo’s do not disturb only does it for time periods rather than by calendar events. Using polite can alleviate this, but it’s weird they cut it out when regular android has had this since android 8.0.

It’s one of the drawbacks with custom android. On my Huawei Mate SE, you can’t change notification sounds and on my Realme XT, you don’t get a native bluelight filter or do not disturb by calendar events.

Though if I had to chose between those two options, I’d take the XT any day over the Mate SE. I rely heavily on custom notification sounds to decide responses

I learned today in Cinnamon that if all your windows are in different positions after leaving your computer (in a multi monitor setup), restarting Cinnamon (Alt + F2, r) will restore the old positions.

Before, I would have to reposition all my windows each time I logged on. This would usually take a minute or two, and long term I would be wasting a lot of time getting my windows into productive positions.

2 Likes

I learned how to transfer my sms history, since google messages, google phone transfer and my cell provider doesn’t transfer across phones

This tool was helpful in migrating it.

For whatever reason, uninstalling gboard removed my ability to use the share option to copy to clipboard. It must have occurred when I removed it here

To fix that I found this nifty app on fdroid
https://f-droid.org/packages/com.tengu.sharetoclipboard

Reply to

1 Like

I’d probably buy the desk pad

1 Like

I asked a while back about what are recommended ad autoskippers and listed two I was interested in. I decided to use this one since it was open source with a github repository

The autoskipper worked fairly well, until I decided to install it on my firefox work profile. While looking at it on my work profile, I decided to mess with the youtube channel whitelist. It was then, I found out I could skip ads with the extension. So I decided to remove the autoskipper addon and just used the channel whitelist to skip ads instead

The older autoskipper worked well. If anything either of the two are fine, it’s just a matter of preference.

Extensions/Addons never sit well with me as owners can change hands pretty quietly / probably are not the most secure things.

1 Like

They probably aren’t, but that’s the tradeoff for convenience and depends what your threat model is. If you want to be the most secure and add extra work for yourself, you can just compile the extension yourself with the github code.

For me, I separate my work and personal profiles. I have minimal extensions for my work profile (https everywhere, canvas, youtube channel whitelist, cookie autodelete) and multiple privacy addons for my personal browsing profile (https everwhere, ublock, youtube channel whitelist, noscript, cookie autodelete canvas, trackme not, privacy badger, privacy protector, google iba-opt out).

I try to avoid doing anything private or sensitive on my personal browsing profile