Nintendo Switch

I'm surprised there's not a thread about this. Did you watch the reveal last night? What was your takeaway from it?

Personally I was unimpressed by the presentation itself but I still stayed up till 235 last night and pre-ordered my switch off Amazon because the new Zelda looks -that- amazing.

Cost: $299 us
Release Date: 3 March 2017

They hyped up the two controllers that connect to the switch pretty hardcore. Each one can be an independent controller so you can easily play games with a friend. They seems extremely small and difficult to use in this manner though. There is an arm band included with the switch for each of them that gives you a larger L/R button however. They have "HD" rumble in them, one contains a motion tracking camera capable of detecting distance and "able to tell the difference between rock, paper, and scissors." Both also have accelerometers, the "right" one has NFC and there's a share button on there to upload your screenshots and "eventually" videos.

As of right now the only release title I'm looking forward to is Zelda: Breath of the Wild. The release titles are really weak, but they include :

Launch Titles:
1-2 Switch
Zelda
Skylanders Imaginators
Just Dance 2017
That's all I can find.

Skyrim and Minecraft are confirmed as well for later this year. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe in April, Splatoon 2 in summer and Mario Odyssey Holiday 2017.

Paid online: They're also rolling out paid online gaming you can manage with your phone. No announcement on cost, but it'll be free at first and then go to paid service later in the year.

Last nights live event:

1-2 Switch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7p47TOmicQ

Arms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7s3UB_8dFM

Mario Kart: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKlRN2YpxRE

Splatoon 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN4w5D2tzME

Super Mario Odyssey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kcdRBHM7kM

Zelda: Breath of the Wild: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw47_q9wbBE

Xenoblade Chronicles 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJuiTw6nk7A

What about all of the unfortunate people? Kinda was hoping that Nintendo would be the one to keep console gaming free for online players.

1 Like

Nope, not interested at all.
Paid online is complete bullshit.
Even if the idea is implemented well, the switch part, it will wear out at some point. The batterys placed in all the parts might have issues aswell, but time will tell.

With all I know this far, I rate the switch 3/10 and E for Effort.

1 Like

OK, 3 things...
1. Tablet gaming. So Nintendo just made proprietary tablet with proprietary os and proprietary controllers...
2. The controllers are wireless. That means battery. That either means internal battery wit 15 minutes life or AA batteryholic, since there are 2 controllers, and also a handheld controller to when the console os docked...
3. I am not the one to cry pc master race, I hate that whole thing, but damn, my entry level pc from 4 years ago have better performance than a 2017 console. God damn it, Nintendo...
720p tablet and undercooking when unlocked... It will run everything like poop...

i think its great, good direction to go for mobile gaming, didnt expect zelda to be a launch title since i heard rumors of it being delayed but they surprised me, im not gonna make a pcmr comment because you cant get a tablet thats as nicely designed as this is for the cash to game on. the only thing i hate was paid online but that was innevitable anyway they want the money just like any other business and people will pay for it even if they complain about it.

1 Like

This system looks so amazing and exciting, last time I was this hyped for a console release was the Wii (I was 10 years old back then).

This console is getting an early purchase, my only question (I am curious about computer hardware and performance) is how powerful is this system in performance, hopefully better than the Wii U at least (although it's portable, so I give it some slack)

Not that it's a huge deal breaker, they already have system sellers for me as far as games go, they didn't slack off on the games like they did on the Wii U.

My only complaint I think, 32 GB of internal storage instead of at least 64 GB...good thing I ordered a 200 GB microSD card for this system.

Yeah, mobile gaming needs to be steered into the right direction, those freemium ad-induced games that still have ads after you pay for the game is terrible.

Mobile gaming needs a system like the Switch.

1) At least Nintendo isn't making tablet gaming into garbage like mobile gaming already is. I already would have recommended a 3DS as horrendously under-performing as it was over gaming on a phone for mobile gaming.

I already game on a tablet though, it's an x86_64 tablet that has a battery life of 90 Minutes when I played Skyrim on it and my tablet costed me FAR more than $300, try $1300 ($1600 counting ALL of the peripherals I got for it). Mobile gaming needs a system like the Switch (maybe not with the joy con gimmick, but at least they made good use out of it)

2) Yeah, this might pose as a potential problem, hopefully Nintendo delivers with the battery life on the joy cons to be implementing those crazy gimmicks.

3) Xenoblade 2 kind of ran like poop in the trailer. But the system already runs significantly better undocked than the Wii U at least (BoTW footage shows the Switch kicking the Wii U's ass badly). This is the problem with tablet form factor devices, they ain't going to perform well like a desktop system, but at least they can move.

Are you talking about the Surface Book?

1 Like

Look, those are just hurtles, Nintendo will need to overcome.
In the last gen if you asked me what I wanted - Wii-U for Nintendo and pc for everything else.
The switch doesn't excite me. If they overcome those 3 hustles I will be all over it.
But currently - I am more worried, than excited. Just like Vega...

1 Like

Surface Pro 2, when it was a new thing (Surface Pro 2 is as old as the PS4 and Xbox One btw), I like the tablet still to this day.

Ha ha ha can't wait to see it run on a 350 ish MHz arm core... That is gonna run terribly or look like colourful origami. That's going to be a mess even docked at a whopping 750ush MHz... Not even able to get to the tegra's standard base clock, what a joke. Thanks nVidiuh.

Buaghahahhahaa that is gonna fail horribly. So many pissed off users. Sucker em in cheap and the rob them blind, sounds like a modern console anyway. If they are going to get people to pay nintendo better actually sit down a find out how the internet works as so far all they have proven with their internet skills is that you will get DMCAd for playing on line. They are so in the past on that front it will be entertaining to see what sort of a trainwreck the service is. Still got the useless friend codes or are you actually allowed a name now?

Yet another Apple produced aimed at the hipsters of games that will jump up and down at the chance to pay money for the same re released games for the nth time. Can wait to see people praise Super Mario 2 again while still complaining that COD are just rehashes every year. Git news for ya, nintendo have been releasing the same games from the 80's since the 80's and you fools still lap it up...

Edit: Save you money all nintendo consoles have been emulated before end of life and while still commercially available. I will get the emulator of the switch instead, they provide a better experience anyway seeing as you can put actual power behind an emulator rather than a tegra that even nvidia killed off it was so bad.

1 Like

Well, their games already crap all over the Wii U's library TBH, I never seen a 3D Mario game like this since Galaxy and Zelda BoTW runs better on the Switch than the Wii U. And there are those gimmicky games (as people would call it) that look like fun as well.

I still don't think the Switch or any console could rival PC gaming, but that has more to do with the nature of PC gaming and console gaming.

Great, an unintelligible being who hasn't paid attention to Nintendo Switch's trailer.

Nobody knows what CPU is there other than being ARM, but we already see Skyrim running on that system. Skyrim's been out on PC for years even the HD graphics were on PC before PS4 and Xbox One. And there are ARM CPUs that rival (or even surpass) an Intel Ultrabook CPU (Apple A9X) so a CPU getting close to an i5 4300U for example isn't a stretch.

Microsoft and Sony also does online services and rips people off too, Nintendo is simply late to the game if anything.

I expect no less from a guy who can't tell a unique game from a rehash to compare Nintendo to Apple, when the only thing they have in common is a closed garden. Only difference is one camp rehashes phones and tablets, the other actually creates unique products. I am still waiting for Microsoft and Sony (not third parties, there are plenty of those who are very creative, sometimes even more than Nintendo) to show the same level of creativity, it's been a long wait so far.

Remind me of how Super Mario Odyssey for example is a rehash like CoD is.

If I could somehow get the Switch to dual-boot Android (because it does have the capability hardware-wise), I would buy one. But it's just not worth it to me. If I can someday emulate LoZ: Breath of the Wild on my PC, I see no reason to buy the Switch.

For mobile gaming, it may be interesting because it has one of the most powerful mobile SoC GPUs on the market, but unless Nintendo adopts a much more aggressive hardware development roadmap, this console will have to last 5-7 years on the market and will be outperformed by cheaper phones and tablets in 18 months.

2 Likes

Yeah, but the 3DS is woefully underpowered even compared to the Vita which is underpowered itself and it still sells well. Even a Raspberry Pi 3 outperforms a 3DS GPUwise

It couldn't. It never will. Why? Because I got 3 games on steam for 10$, yesterday I got a game on the Humble store for free, GOG is selling me games for extremely cheap, and the Humble Bundle is giving me all Assassins Creed games for 15$... I can't even buy half the Assassin's Creed games on console...
Consoles will never beat pc, not on performance - on price, availability, library size,etc...

3 Likes

It's not grabbed me by the bollocks so I'll probably give it a miss.

There are a lot more reasons too than just that, I agree.

Nvidia tegra X1 uninteligabke person who does not read specs. Even under clocked as it can't deal with the heat.

That skyrim comment has no base in reality and you will get nowhere near i5 power out of this at all, good luck.

Late to paying for online is one thing but having it free when you buy in and use it for a while and then taking it away from.you us just scum class business worse that Ps4 or xBone. Just stupid and show nintendo still don't understand the internet.

Unique products? Like the Nes Mini? Oh yeah they could not re release the old games again because they did not have a new console to do it on so they just re released the entire console. Eat it up fanboi.

1 Like