Nintendo switch release

To get back on topic a bit, one of the best things about the Switch is being able to play it on the go. Maybe it's just me but I don't see it as a console or a hybrid. I just see it as a really nice 3DS that you can hook up to your TV.

Recall the Super Game Boy thing for SNES. That level of nice.

I kinda look at it in the same manner. I played zelda laying in the hammock in my back yard today and that was pretty neat.

I've only played it on my actually television on launch day, 100% of the rest of my gameplay has been in handheld sitting on the couch.

Careful bruh. The hammock might flip over if you go into a rage when constantly dying ;)

1 Like

I've got mine hooked up to a small 900p monitor. Works pretty well apart from the frame dips. I can take my glasses off when I'm using the switch by itself and I can see it fine. Screen looks nice, the fan is whisper quiet. Probably going to end up selling it though. Had it not had a main series Zelda title for launch, no one would have bought it, and with Cemu making leaps and bounds, its reason for existence grows smaller and smaller.

How are the buttons and the d-pad? snappy or mushy? Have you had any of the Joy-Con disconnect-issues?

On the pro controller the D Pad is fine, on the joy cons they're okay. Clicky on both but on the joycons it's kinda mushy clicky... think the xbone controller buttons.. Both are fine to play shovel knight on. I have had the left joycon disconnect within 8 feet of the console with line of sight broken by my leg. Pretty piss poor radio and bad positioning on that left one... right one is fine.

Was that in docked mode with the Joy-Cons detached? Or do you happen to know it this happens when attached to the tablet as well?

btw, availability is terrible. Called 4 stores, none of them had one.

@DeViLzzz is selling one. You should message him. Limited availability, ya know.

1 Like

Probably not MSRP and shipping from CA to EU.....yeah, no. I'm good.

LOLOL come on breh. I can understand the shipping part due to international rates but not paying a measly 20-30 bucks over MSRP for a limited availability item.

It's a luxury good, I get it. price is more elastic for this type of good. Knowing that supply will be limited for the near future, throwing down another 15-20 euro over MSRP in eurozone isnt much to ask for a widely sought after product.

If shipping weren't an issue, would you buy it for 320 euro?

In a store? Sure, cause that's 9€ under MSRP (329€) here.
From a stranger who's overseas and with no warranty? No.

And that's the problem. Limited availability only benefits those who are selling them. As a consumer I say "Fuck that".I rather have none than paying overprice because of artificial scarcity and flippers/scalpers.

I really want to get the switch, can't really afford to atm, the thing is $550NZ plus another 100 for BotW. That being said it's kinda everything I want in a mobile gaming platform, decent size screen, battery life and power in a small pakage. I doubt I would ever use it on a TV or even all that much at home, that's what I have a PC for after all.

I would really like to see someone hack it so that it could use steam in-home streaming actually and also to get it potentially working with a steam controller. I doubt either of those thing will happen but it would be nice,

I'm hoping by the time I go to buy it a newer version will be out, if I ever end up getting it, I'm too poor xP

But it's lower than MSRP. Again, if shipping weren't an issue, you would buy it. The warranty is what it is. From the looks of it Nintendo claims dead pixels are normal so a warranty won't help you there. Same goes with left joycon antenna. When was the last time your warrantied a console within one year of purchase?

No.

Those aren't the only things that can fail.
Electronics being DOA is a thing that can occur, no matter how rare it may be. Buttons can fail, batteries die, the screen can have other issues besides dead pixels. And in case it gets damaged during shipping I'd be fucked too.

What does it matter? If I pay 300+€ I want at least some sort of safety net included (without paying for "extended warranty", those are shit and a ripoff).
The Switch has been out now for about a week. The infamous Red Ring of Death of the X360 didn't occur in such a short time and even the PS3 has console-breaking issue - rare but it still occured often enough to be known. So we don't know if and which hardware flaws the Switch has.
I don't have the money to buy a new one everytime it breaks.

1 Like

Pretty damn close to MSRP now for Canada but as for shipping it to Europe. LOL!

Canuckistanians are pretty fucked considering the prices. $400 CAD are 280€, while MSRP for the Switch here is 329€ (~ $470 CAD).

2 Likes

I haven't had any problems. The buttons aren't quite as clicky as the 3DS buttons, but they're not mushy like the wii or DS buttons. I haven't had any radio problems with the left controller.

1 Like

For sure. This being a tech forum I thought some might find it useful though.

2 Likes

I've had zero issues with it in tablet mode. I'm fairly certain it's 'wired' when in that mode since it has a connection for charging there. No way to confirm that or not though.

Yeah everyone is out of them right now but there is allegedly a second shipment coming late March. You might want to see if you can get in on that one.

Well thank goodness I don't have to deal with the horror of selling one again unless I scoop up another from SDM to get 20x SDM Pts. ..... sold the bloody thing this morning for $23 profit cash and then the $125 SDM points I got from buying it before.

PS: It would have been nice to have a great release where people could make money flipping but also people could buy the darn console and get a really great experience but Nintendo had to cheap out on hardware and do many other things wrong. They didn't learn from the Wii U and they didn't learn from watching what MS did with Xbox One making sure the consumer is pleased.