New user uncertain of what to do next with Raspberry Pi

Would you recommend Home Assistant iso to be used if the end goal for the Pi is to be situated headlessly with an input device that records data into a Home Assistant thing?

Since I kind of wanted to do something related to this with my Pi with a bar code scanner so just want to check that it’s not a bad idea to have the Home Assistant instance be somewhere that people will interact with the machine running it.

You need to copy the files using root or sudo. If you do not have access as root on your NAS, might be a problem. Other than using a liveboot USB on your laptop or desktop and booting any linux distro, inserting the SD into it and copying the SD manually to your NAS, I can’t think of a quick and dirty solution right now.

Ok will look into super user for my nas and will try that tomorrow.

Reading it might be a thing but might only be able to be done through ssh which isn’t ideal.

Short answer would be to stick with your existing docker setup.

So the Home Assistant issue basically ships with Alpine Linux as the base (Hypervisor). It then boot straps another instance of Alpine (Supervisor) that runs Docker which then host Home Assistant (HASSIO Core). You would still have to pass the hardware through like you would with Docker but you now have an extra step.

I would say at that point you may not want to use the ISO since you will have to do some customization there. I only suggested it as a standalone device to host home assistant since you were wondering what to do with the box. Also I am not a Docker pro and I had issue hosting all of the individual pieces with Docker and could not get certain parts to function in HASSIO because of it. I saw that you an Bilky were talking and so I kind of just skipped over that and edited my post.

1 Like

Okay, thank that’s good to know. I do seem to have maybe broken my existing Docker set up/iso somehow in the process of trying to copy files from the boot and root from the SD card so I guess tonight I’ll be looking into how to fix an install that seems to have broken.

I might have to reformat the SD card for my Raspberry Pi as fsck doesn’t seem to be fixing the problems so maybe I need to make a thread for what iso to use for the pi?

At this point it seems pretty clear that the data current on the SD card and the current iso isn’t going to be able to be recovered. So I’d like advice on what you’d recommend.

1. Home Assistant
  2. Raspberry Pi OS 32 bit
  3. Raspberry Pi OS 64 bit
  4. Raspberry Pi Netboot thing though I don’t think I’d be getting more pi’s.

I would say if you want to do the home automation stuff with ease, Use HASSIO’s RPi Image and call it a day. There is documentation on how to pass hardware through to the HA Core.

If you plan on doing and or hosting other things besides home assistant on the Pi, then go with RaspberryPi OS 64bit. I use my RPi as a NAS with the Radxa Quad SATA Hat.
https://wiki.radxa.com/Dual_Quad_SATA_HAT

1 Like

What should be done if it seems like everything I want to do is available through Home Assistant Community Add-ons?

Once you install, there is an and-ons section where you can search the official add-ons that are in the add-on [store]. Anything that is not official, you would need to download the git package or install it via python.

In general, most things are autoconfigured if they are detected. For things like SSH and samba and what not, you have to install through he addon [market].

Do community add-ons tend to be unofficial? Or can community add-ons be official in some cases and not in other?

Both, but there is a differnce between ones that have been reviewed for conformance and submitted through the official repositories. Basically official ones are maintained by the HASSIO devs. The unofficial are community submitted through the official repo. Anything else is unofficial community stuff and quality may vary. I have not had a need for the third category.

Best thing to do is to give it a try and see what is missing. You can’t break anything by running it.

I really don’t know how to solve food in the larder going out of date. An integrated solution based on what you purchased and what you’ve used.

I’m currently running a home comfort station, it’s like a weather station but for indoors. I’ve got a BME280 hooked to a PI which logs temperature, humidity and air pressure regularly to a MySQL database on my server. There is a user web page where they can log if they are too hot, comfortable or too cold. It’s written in NodeRED which makes it really Noddy to get going but could easily be in a grown up programming lanugage.

My intention is to add out door sensors and discover what it means to feel comfortable in your home, it’s really not as simple as it might seem. There are times when 23C is too hot and 24C is too cold.

For Home Assistant OS what should be done for accessing stuff from the add-on store remotely? Since it doesn’t seem cleary how something like the Dynamic DNS that a normal Raspberry Pi would need in addition to a VPN for security purposes.

There is a Guide to set that up if you need it. there are a couple of solutions to get there but only one is officially supported by the devs.

I actually pay for the Home Assistant Google Home integration to support the project and remote access all comes with that with a one click solution. So I can’t be of too much help there.

not sure if it’s the officially supported way to try and increase security, but I ended up doing this, though I think it might mean I need to make some changes for additional hosts for vault warden and inventory management systems to be accessible through web interfaces. In which case I might do the supported by the devs free system, to try and minimize the work for those 2. Free Cloudflare Tunnel To Home Assistant: Full Tutorial! - YouTube

That is essentially what the paid solution does, but it is a single click setup. You should be fine to do this as it is using all of the built in plumming by the Devs. Just note that if they change how some of this works, you may have to go back in and tinker.

Good luck. I hope it works for you. Home Assistant is really neat.

A year later and I’ve had a pretty good time with Home Assistant, though somewhere along the way I found some really cool and inspiring videos that have seemingly disappeared from the internet.and not 100% sure what to do with that, it was for having a screen and barcode set up to help keep track of food in the pantry. I think I might end up just purchasing the seeed reTerminal eventually.

The only issue with that is that it feels like an overkill solution when all that is really needed is a screen and some sort of device that can be connected to a Home Assistant thing and that the device can have a barcode scanner plugged into it.

Do you mean Grocy?

I have grocy, albeit I’ve not updated our holdings super recently but been meaning to try and have a user interface for just seeing what we have in a zone and allow for it to be scanned in and out.