New user uncertain of what to do next with Raspberry Pi

You can comment it out by adding a # in front of it, if you don’t want to remove it outright. I don’t know what you are doing there or what the script does (or if it even works properly), so not sure if I can even help.

I got the bash script working probably from my own incompetence nano pasted the api keys twice instead of once so that’s why things weren’t ever changing. Really glad to have figured it out, going to bring back the cron and then go to sleep.

Thank you for your help. Even if you weren’t sure you were able to help just reminding me to retrace my steps was very useful.

I’m guessing next step is to have that be the address for the pivpn script to be using is the one with the script.

Testing yep I got it to work and I can add piVPN profiles so that will be something for the future.

There is a developer maintained image from the HASSIO team so you don’t have to do the docker thing unless you absolutely want to.

I actually run it on an OdroidN2. I had issues running it in a docker container years back as some of the hardware was not passed through and I could not get everything to functions correctly due to my base distribution (Debian and Arch).

It is hybrid containerization and virtualization. It gives you a happy medium as your administration is straight GNU/Linux so you don’t need to learn docker stuff. I use LXC/LXD stuff at home.
^Bilky covered this well. I am late to the party.

2 Likes

Is there a way to set up the image without removing some of the data that is already there? since Bilky ended up recommending against using the custom ISO just because I already got data in the vaultwarden, even if it’s currently unreachable since I’ve not finished with the whole VPN user and everything to get the vaultwarden accessible again.

1 Like

You can backup the docker persistent paths to another PC. But the SD would need to be wiped to install the ISO. Keep in mind that I am ignorant about HomAss in general. If you do not need to add physical hardware to it, then docker’s fine, but if you have to, you may run in the same issues as Mastic_Warrior, in which case the ISO would be recommended.

I am pointing out the easier way in, because doing so many changes at once can be overwhelming. Adding HomAss as another docker container should be easy.

2 Likes

I wonder because I have a NAS I think I could probably back up everything on the Pi, sorth through it later on the Windows Machine to be able to eventually have vaultwarden be back up, and in that case the stuff I’d have to do over again are the initial set up of the vpn via wireguard and just installing docker, portainer and associated stuff. So I think I might want to go for that just because I’ve got more then one terabyte free for data. Will just need to figure out how to back up stuff from the Pi to the Qnap which should be easy.

1 Like

If you don’t care about the OS, you can just unplug the SD, plug it to your NAS and just copy all the folders from the SD.

What was the problem with vaultwarden again? Is it not starting up, or?

I had set up SSL using nginx and since I removed it and was going to use the VPN and what not I can’t login since a proper security decision was made that it requires HTTPS to login.

A reverse proxy is still needed for vaultwarden, but by using a VPN, you do not have to expose your proxy to the internet, which is what I though was the point of the initial discussion.

Setting nginx back up should be easy. You can use a self-signed certificate and a local domain name and you should be fine to access vaultwarden. If you want, you can use the automated process with signing a certificate with certbot / letsencrypt, since you already have a domain name and use that domain locally in a hosts file or something, to access the reverse proxy.

ah didn’t realize that, well that explains the reason I was running into issues.

1 Like

Ah, I’m running into issues copying the folders from the SD to the NAS because I don’t have permissions I think I might want to find out how to create back ups of data in docker containers and use those instead.

Well I seem to have accidentally broken my install so will just start over with Home Assistant iso instead.

Would you recommend Home Assistant iso to be used if the end goal for the Pi is to be situated headlessly with an input device that records data into a Home Assistant thing?

Since I kind of wanted to do something related to this with my Pi with a bar code scanner so just want to check that it’s not a bad idea to have the Home Assistant instance be somewhere that people will interact with the machine running it.

You need to copy the files using root or sudo. If you do not have access as root on your NAS, might be a problem. Other than using a liveboot USB on your laptop or desktop and booting any linux distro, inserting the SD into it and copying the SD manually to your NAS, I can’t think of a quick and dirty solution right now.

Ok will look into super user for my nas and will try that tomorrow.

Reading it might be a thing but might only be able to be done through ssh which isn’t ideal.

Short answer would be to stick with your existing docker setup.

So the Home Assistant issue basically ships with Alpine Linux as the base (Hypervisor). It then boot straps another instance of Alpine (Supervisor) that runs Docker which then host Home Assistant (HASSIO Core). You would still have to pass the hardware through like you would with Docker but you now have an extra step.

I would say at that point you may not want to use the ISO since you will have to do some customization there. I only suggested it as a standalone device to host home assistant since you were wondering what to do with the box. Also I am not a Docker pro and I had issue hosting all of the individual pieces with Docker and could not get certain parts to function in HASSIO because of it. I saw that you an Bilky were talking and so I kind of just skipped over that and edited my post.

1 Like

Okay, thank that’s good to know. I do seem to have maybe broken my existing Docker set up/iso somehow in the process of trying to copy files from the boot and root from the SD card so I guess tonight I’ll be looking into how to fix an install that seems to have broken.

I might have to reformat the SD card for my Raspberry Pi as fsck doesn’t seem to be fixing the problems so maybe I need to make a thread for what iso to use for the pi?

At this point it seems pretty clear that the data current on the SD card and the current iso isn’t going to be able to be recovered. So I’d like advice on what you’d recommend.

1. Home Assistant
  2. Raspberry Pi OS 32 bit
  3. Raspberry Pi OS 64 bit
  4. Raspberry Pi Netboot thing though I don’t think I’d be getting more pi’s.

I would say if you want to do the home automation stuff with ease, Use HASSIO’s RPi Image and call it a day. There is documentation on how to pass hardware through to the HA Core.

If you plan on doing and or hosting other things besides home assistant on the Pi, then go with RaspberryPi OS 64bit. I use my RPi as a NAS with the Radxa Quad SATA Hat.
https://wiki.radxa.com/Dual_Quad_SATA_HAT

1 Like

What should be done if it seems like everything I want to do is available through Home Assistant Community Add-ons?