New respect for Linux Mint

LearnLinuxTV represent haha

I dont see why it needs to be. I’m fairly confident with linux in a lot of aspects but theres something to be said about a distro you just dont have to mess with. Im not typically one that does much customization either though.

2 Likes

Um… I ran Kubuntu Disco on roughly ten-year-old machines at my school without any issue. I also ran regular Ubuntu Disco without any issues. I don’t think that KDE and more recent versions of GNOME are that demanding. The machines are from 2012 at the latest, but they’re very low-specification, running on these Pentiums with NVIDIA 9400GTs (or nVIDIA if being correct for the time period, as far as I can tell at least).

Frankly, the best is to have it auto-hide. That way, you have the entire screen for the window.

Yeah, having to do manual configuration of everything is definitely not for a lot of people, whether it be due to the purpose of the machine, the time the user has at their disposal, the patience the user has at their disposal, the general knowledge the user has on the matter, … I am talking from first-hand experience here.

This was one of the things that got me for using this OS for the Moms. The update process was just so polished and painless.

And now it seems like there are more and more articles on on the availability of windows 10 themes for Mint and other distros (kali’s “stealth mode” a big contributor to this?) Making the transition even easier.

1 Like

unfortunately have to report- was able to update from I believe 19x to 20.x, then a later version of 20.x, then when upgrading to a newer build the keyboard is dead. Will have to boot from a live image and try to recover from this via snapshot- but if not, then have to start with a clean image.

If starting from a clean image I’m tempted to try NixOS this time.

1 Like

Was able to live boot from usb and restore from snapshot. Again an argument Mint is maybe the most newb friendly as this capability isnt just preloaded but is a pop up and holds your hand.

That said, the original build was so vanilla/lightly used i decided to backup some data to a NAS and then install the latest mint build overwriting the old. So unfortunately linux still inst at parity with windows with regards to large upgrades (ex: win 7 to 10, 10 to 11 etc).

Mint did a great job with pop ups and pre-checks telling you what to do to upgrade (uninstall or downgrade certain packages amd a huge list of GUI promoted hand holding) but unfortunately still ended in failure.

Damn, totally forgot about this thread… I did indeed switch back to mint 20 and ran it happily thru it’s life from 20.0 to 20.3, and after a brief stint on manjaro I then went back to mint 21 when it was released. Now happily rocking 21.2 and couldn’t be happier with it, mint has easily been the most stable linux system I have ever run, maybe even the most stable system, period.
So far I have only done clean installs on the major versions but I am looking forward to doing the upgrade from 21.3 to 22 when the time comes, provided I don’t end up on another distro hopping adventure in the meantime :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Its the most easy to use distro IMO thus the most windows transplant friendly for sure.