New respect for Linux Mint

I don’t know why but I couldn’t stay on Mint for too long… not sure why…

But it’s fairly solid, at least until you need to use gcc, then you’ll have to download build-essential, and on the wife’s laptop I alwas had to configure dpkg on a clean install… not sure why… switched HDDs and still had the same problems.

Cinnamon is also very good for beginners, the fact you can make a .desktop for an app with a GUI out of the box blows my mind.

At the moment I’m on Elementary cause of eye-candy and usability in general, and yeah… it’s kinda sluggish… maybe it’s the i5 2450m, not sure.

Mint is very nice, but not made for me.

I found Ubuntu minimal (gnome with less bloat) to be lighter than xubuntu.
I don’t see mint being any better than ubuntu cinnamon (mints desktop environment) .
Yet you’re using mint xfce aka xubuntu with less packages in the repo…

What a nice surprise this morning, @AnotherDev labs podcast out on Linux Mint, my commute just got better.

2 Likes

Hey, thanks for the shoutout fam.

I’m STILL using it as of this morning. :wink:

Distro is on :fire: :tux: :yay:

3 Likes

This was my experience as well, and I downloaded the NVIDIA iso.

Lmfao. Winning.

I installed vim, git, kvm, lxc, Steam, and a few other things and it is legit 10/10. ONE CLICK INSTALL for NVIDIA drivers. PS4 controller, HyperX Headphones, and YETI Microphone all work flawlessly. Pretty sure this was bait from @Adubs but since I did it and am satisfied he has to try Debian :troll: :debian: :tux:

I don’t think this is the case. Mint’s /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ pulls from Bionic.

3 Likes

I kinda disagree on this.

Because Cinnamon is developed by the Mint team.
I have actually tried many different distro’s with the Cinnamon desktop.
And to me non of them really worked that well as Mint it self does.

Well it’s what moderators from Mint said. When I asked what the benefit of Mint was.
The distro was fine but really no benefit over ubuntu, especially after this statement.
I installed mint 'cause I didn’t have a large enough USB sitting 'round for full Ubuntu.
I’ve tried several distros. I found manjaro to be best out of the box. But ubuntu has endless doccumentation so in the end, LINUX is LINUX, Ubuntu is best because you get the support. Mint is just ubuntu, w/ a foccus on cinnamon. So it’s fine but, if you’re using a diferend desktop enviroment, then it really is pointless.

Mint > All

I’ll try Debian later today but I gotta put a machine together for it because I don’t want to nuke my mint mate install.

Well you could of course try the LMDE version of Mint.
Or another decent Debian spin will be MX linux.
However MX linux is using the XFCE desktop out of the box.
Or you could of course go all the way and go straight Debian it self.

1 Like

LMDE is still on debian 9, so thats why I want to install straight debian. I’m installing debian in particular because of a bet… or pact if you will.

2 Likes

Ah yeah that is true indeed, LMDE is a bit slow with updating.
MX Linux in that regards is a bit more up to date.
However if you go straight Debian then you have a plain canvas,
which you can make whatever you want out of it. :slight_smile:

Linux Mint Mate as my daily driver for years now. It is my go-to Linux distribution. This distro is a great balance of functionality and low hardware requirements. Some low hardware requirement distros make you fell the trade-off. Linux Mint Mate doesn’t. If it sort of like having two healthy deserts: one is a satisfying and the other tastes healthy and is less than satisfying.

This isn’t because I don’t like hardcore distros. I started using Linux in 1997. I dual booted my 486 laptops with it all through college. By 2002, Linux was my daily driver with only dual booting for games. By this point, my daily driver distro was Gentoo (Phase 1) build plus all of my home network was Gentoo. Then I had kids and didn’t have time for all that maintenance. Then I switched over to Ubuntu at 10.04. When Ubuntu started going to Unity and talking about Wayland, I jumped over to Linux Mint 15 and never looked back.

Are you still on it? Or back on bsd

I’m not using Mint anymore. I use a variety of workstations that are some BSDs and Linuxes

I think there’s another distro that is more mint than mint itself and it is elementary…

don’t understand how people recommend mint over elementary to beginners, it feels like a more polished version of it

been on both, but prefer elementary

Because mint has a sick logo wallpaper bro.

ok you won we ain’t got that on elementary

just a sick ass transparent top bar

tried to make it work once on XFCE but I’m not enough to make it work

1 Like

This is why mint is better.

Top bars are disgusting

#bottombartribe

1 Like

So booted up the Mint laptop to train the user on some features and it continues to impress in regards to being noob friendly. The mirror I had been using was down, the GUI prompts and one-click like nature to change mirrors to up ones was apple’esk in user friendlyness.

This might not be a power user distro, it’s the opposite of arch (do you even arch bro?) but IMO this distro is fighting the good fight to make windows users at ease.

2 Likes

Mint and Elementary OS are both Ubuntu based indeed.
But yeah they differ allot really.
Because Elementary is using their own designed Pantheon Desktop,
on which Mint is using their own Cinnamon desktop.
And those two desktops differ allot from eachother imo.
The Pantheon desktop is more geared towards Mac Os type users,
on which Mint is more targeting towards classic Windows type users.

So yeah although Pantheon looks pretty nice.
And for the most part it kinda works okayish.
But i do think that there are better desktops then pantheon.

Mint and Elementary aren´t really comparable in my opinion.
At least not from a desktop user experience.

1 Like