New Mikrotik 2.5G Switch - CRS310-8G+2S+IN

Forgot about the FAN, when using a RJ45 SFP+ module, if gets pretty loud… goes to 12k RPM, but after some minutes it settles ~3.5k RPM, when using only DAC’s it runs in fanless mode

2 Likes

The CRS310 uses 16w with 1 2.5G link and 10G link via RJ45 SFP+ Module.
I tried adding a 2nd 1g link and it does not change the power consumption

2 Likes

Thank you, that’s very useful to know!
Assuming you’re using Mikrotik’s RJ45 Module, that’s probably 2-3W of power use.

On a different note, it’s odd this switch doesn’t have the RouterOS / SwitchOS Dual Boot Feature they have on most of the other newer models.

Yes, I’m using the Mikotik’s RJ45 module.
It has the option for booting swOS, but I did not try to see if it works yet…

I noticed that on the spec sheet as well. It’s not really a deal breaker for me since I’m not using any of the management features anyway. Just kind of weird.

That makes me curious whether it’s just there as an unused menu option that doesn’t do anything or their Specsheet is wrong. I’ll try and ask their support about it.

Mmm, not in stock at any suppliers down under yet. Guess I’ll need to wait, or pay lots of shipping.

Just checked, sending up to 2 units of the switches from Germany to Australia would cost EUR 50 (DHL with parcel insurance and tracking), EUR 72 for “quicker transport”, whatever that means.

My two units are to arrive on Saturday :slight_smile:

Regarding RouterOS/SwitchOS: I have been under the impression that any switch model that is licensed to run the full RouterOS is also allowed to boot SwitchOS (the feature-reduced “light” version of RouterOS). Am I wrong here?

A few months ago my MikroTik CRS312-4C+8XG-RM 10 GbE RouterOS switch somehow killed its firmware (was new with default settings, no power issues during the firmware update process) during an update, for completely reflashing it I just downloaded a RouterOS file and it can boot into SwitchOS.

2 Likes

From what I’m reading off the Mikrotik Website, this seems correct. I have an eye on two models from Mikrotik(one being your CRS312). I’m still in the process on deciding what I want mid- longterm…choices, choices…

DHL shafted me yesterday :frowning:

I expected two packages to be delivered by them, the one with the switches was also “prepared to be loaded onto the delivery vehicle” but then of course I only received the other “boring” package (that doesn’t have fresh new toys in it)…

Hopefully the switches will eventually arrive tomorrow.

But I’m currently living next to “The” Oktoberfest that kicked off on Saturday so things are going to be a little weird locally for a few weeks.

1 Like

MikroTik support replied me about the swOS topic that it does not support it yet…
pointed me to a help page table were the CRS310 is nowhere to be found…
it seems the hardware department is faster then the documentation one…

I’m very tempted to try to see if I can actually boot the swOS on it…
CRS310 boot options

1 Like

Isn’t that always the case?

Good luck? :crossed_fingers:

I got the following reply from support after showing the screenshot:

Yes, it will not work. Do not use it.

It was left there for future releases.

Sometime in the future, we plan to add it, but currently, we can not provide any guaranteed terms.

Just FYI, for anyone else. Mine came with a European style power brick with the two prong kind of plug, so it seems like I need to find a power brick of similar specs I can use.

DC jack input Voltage 18-57 V

That’ll be a challenge : )

1 Like

Does it have a PoE-in option? I know the newer Mikrotik switches often have that. PoE is more standardized than power bricks and connectors. Shipping another box from europe just for the proper cable is probably expensive.

I like powering switches via PoE. Doesn’t really matter if you have 14 or 15 Cat6 cables running, but those extra power bricks and power cables always annoy me.

5.5mm outer by 2.1mm pin barrel connectors are very common :wink:
Voltages and polarity though, check on a device by device basis.

My Mikrotik devices seem to all be 5.5x2.1mm barrel jacks.

At the max wattage of 34W, it would be a PoE+ device.

From the markings on the switch it doesn’t look like it. I’d have to get a PoE injector anyway since I don’t have a PoE switch anymore.

PoE noob here:

Are there trustworthy, reliable (!) PoE “receivers” you can connect to a RJ-45 cable that is connected to a PoE switch and then can supply any dumb device with a DC barrel jack at a specified voltage up to x Watts?

My two CRS310-8G+2S+IN units finally also arrived today :slight_smile:

Search term “PoE extractor” yielded a few results. Could be worth exploring.

PoE is a hell hole that I am yet to fully understand. Main thing to keep in mind is that there are tiny transformers to prevent PoE voltages from grilling unsuspecting ethernet handling chips while passing three digit MHz frequencies.

1 Like