New Linux sensors driver for Crosshair VII (and other boards with ASUS WMI sensors interface)

Hey all,

I’ve written a driver for getting sensor values using the ASUS WMI sensors interface that’s present on recent ASUS Ryzen motherboards. Using this means we get exactly the same values and labels as displayed in the UEFI/ AI Suite etc.

Figured this was a good direction to take as it’s effectively the supported “ASUS way” of getting the sensor readings, as there is no publically available documentation for the ITE IT8665E. I’ve tried the out-of-tree IT87 driver, but it is mostly unmaintained with some values not reported (and also it isn’t working for me on recent 4.19 and 4.20 kernels :frowning:).

So far I’ve only tested it on my Crosshair VII, but it should work on the Zenith Extreme, Crosshair VI and others.

Interested to see if this is useful for others and happy to accept pull requests!

It’s available here with further info in the readme:

I’ve also made an Arch AUR package for it: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/asus-wmi-sensors-dkms-git/

6 Likes

this is really cool!

Thanks!

It’s definitely been a learning experience writing it. I wish I’d known about Devember before I started as I could have blogged along as I coded it.

Made quite a few changes to this since the initial release. Improved the performance, got it working on the Crossahair VI and also distros with lm_sensors < 3.5.0

Unfortunately Asus haven’t been very proactive at rolling out WMI sensors V2 to all their boards, so the Strix boards and Zenith Extreme are currently not supported. Will be interesting to see what they do for monitoring when they release X570 boards!

Ooh… this is the only thing I have been missing since I upgraded to ryzen.
I also tried the out of tree dkms it87 for ITE IT8665E driver, it worked but I don’t like it too much.
I’ll definetly take look at it!

Would it be possible make the driver work on “Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming” mobo?
I can build test the kernel module and let my system be a guinea pig for developing the driver. :smiley:

OMG thank you so much for this effort and the nice documentation you made (including minimum BIOS etc). I’m still on BIOS 0702 and this project is what will motivate me to update. The thought of seeing all the fan RPMs… haven’t been this excited since building my system! haha

1 Like

Unfortunately I’m limited by which boards ASUS adds WMI sensors support to in their BIOS.

I don’t believe the “Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming" has support, so at the moment the IT87 driver is your only option… Sorry!

Just got it working with Ubuntu 18.04 on a ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING bios version 5406. Great work!