New build thoughts

Hi all,

You may remember my last build, an in desk, watercooled monster.

All this Ryzen fun & adventure has me wanting to do another project. I recently retired my old Imac, after gradual hardware failures made it unusable, barely even operates using a CLI now.

This has opened up a fairly large area on my fairly large desk.

I'm torn between the Thermaltake Tower 900 & doing another wood & plexi build.

I love the look of the case, but would have to mod it heavily to get exactly what I want, so I'm leaning towards just making one in the same style/layout.

Thoughts, suggestions?

This is the space I have to work with.

i'd go with wood plexi build, but wood is great at insulating temp... thats why i'd lean more to TT tower 900 case.

for me, noise, and space occupied is important just as much as the cooling is. Wood looks great but its terrible for temperature, without water cooling you'll charr it.

Cooling isn't an issue, a couple of big radiators & you barely get above ambient. The build will be fully watercooled, and based on experience, you don't need much airflow around components if the heat is moved to a radiator outside of the main case. A couple of fans will take care of that.

Thermal expansion of the wood can be an issue as you move from winter to summer, but if you allow enough spacing it's ok.

Reminds me of the old Mozart case they used to make. I like it.

The Mozart TX entertainment centre? Those things were great.

1 Like

Thats the one.

1 Like

Build the wood/plexi one, and use the money you'll save on getting a VESA mounting arm for those monitors.

Frees up more desk space than you'd think