New build based on the Pentium G3258 that fits in a backpack

I see, thanks for the info.

I was using the stock thermal paste, but swapped out to the NT-H1 (I think?).

I got a cold day today, so did some OCing on the CPU. Also did a RAM swap because my old RAM was bad.

So now I'm at [email protected], with about an 81C max temp. Kicking serious ass in gaming.

Makes me wonder ? I slapped a D 14 on my 3258 but i have yet to overclock it.

I reckon you can get that OCed pretty hard. My temps go into the "I should worry about this a little" range when I'm stress testing. But this is on stock cooler. The only potential bottleneck I have at the moment is the power delivery on my board, I'm not sure if it is sturdy enough to handle this.

I have a gigabyte mb for mine and i dont like it. Which is why i havent gotten around to overclocking it much. I am about to put my 290x in instead of my 280 and give it a go. A completely ridiculous thing to do just because.

Ahh, yeah, some mobos just aren't very friendly with overclocking. Some reason mine was fairly easy in the bio. But I assume ASRock went after that market, even though it was a dirt cheap board.

Yet another update!

I am now at 4.3GHz at 1.17 volts with a max temp of 86C according to HW Monitor. Mind you this is on the Stock Intel cooler that shipped with the CPU and is stuck on with NT-H1. 4.4GHz wasn't stable and I was pushing the thermal limit already, too lazy to push more volts.

It has passed a blend test from Prime95 for 10 hours, but I will be doing more testing to see if it really is stable. After the 10 hour burn, I opened up CPU-Z to verify it and take a screencap, but when I opened up Photoshop on accident, my rig when into a comatose state that I could not exit without restarting. The start screen worked fine and all, just all the programs were being silly and CPU was maxed out.

I am now able to play Planetside 2, but still not at the level of smoothness that it used to run at. More game testing is to come, as I need to make sure that the OC is infact stable with no problems... as a random stutter in CS:GO may or may not screw things up. I continue to be amazed by this setup, and when some of my friends still scoff at it for being a Pentium. They will never know the awesomeness of it.

I noticed that even with Prime95 going at it and the CPU clearly being maxed out, the rig still responds really well when browsing the web or even watching videos. It almost feels like my FX-8320 while it is maxed out under the same kind of load. That is pretty awesome. It obviously doesn't have the multiple thread advantage and can't actually multitask that well, but the feeling is just nice.

A partial update, mostly because @SpaceCat has referenced this build a few times and I wanted to add a bit more info to it.

The RAM in it now is a kit of Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600, 8GB total.

The backpack I am using is a "High Sierra Business Elite Backpack". It fits my desktop, laptop and all cables needed for it along with the mouse and mousepad. Monitor and keyboard have to be carried separately (I have two hands, not that bad).

Backpack link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K88QS14?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A1LIPVZNKVK9LN (I got it at Costco for super cheap)

I currently don't have the desktop with me at college, but I plan on bringing it at some point.

1 Like

That's not even that big a backpack, I could probably fit the thing, a mouse, keyboard, mouse mat, headphones and a tablet in mine with some other bits and bobs I'd bet.

Monitor, again, would have to be carried separately, but as long as you'd still have the box for it... you could just carry it in that.

My backpack: HYPERLINK

Another pointless update! Woop woop. Infinite power at school is nice.

I am now at [email protected] with a 12 hour stress test on Prime95 using 5.5GB of RAM. 84C max in a fairly cool room.

Woop woop. I'm tired.

Delid that thing, do et.

Why delid a perfectly good devil's canyon chip?

I just put my 290x and 16g of ram in mine. I have a stable 4.2 push button over clock. It is my first intel cpu experience in a long time. Not bad for what it is.
Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0
FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:
System
Platform:
Windows NT 6.2 (build 9200) 64bit
CPU model:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3258 @ 3.20GHz (3199MHz) x2
GPU model:
Microsoft Basic Display Adapter 6.3.9600.16384/AMD Radeon R9 200 Series 15.201.1151.1004 (4095MB) x1
Settings
Render:
Direct3D11
Mode:
1920x1080 4xAA fullscreen
Preset
Custom
Quality
Ultra
Tessellation:
Normal