New AMD "Enthusiast" CPU's? Poll

YES WE QAIN! Comin' thruu

How "excited" not "exited"

It will be interesting on how they will compete against the intel cpus now that you see many people use. I hope it helps AMD.

Looking forward to it, AMDs new goal since the release of fury is not to be 'the cheaper option', straight from the mouth of the CEO, so I am expecting them to just price match the Intel parts at performance parity, which is like seriously... I mean that is your business plan, increase prices to match the more popular competitors...

Anyway yeah, looking forward to it, albeit with a cynical attitude, I think performance will be way increased, possibly near parity, but hey I just have a feeling AMD will botch the product launch and become the butt of some new joke, like they did with the last 2 GPU refreshes....

They gotta up their game and QC, hopefully the hiring of scott wasson from tech report is indicative of a desire to change their poor behavior, and y'know, QC their products and stuff, i.e. not ship defective units to reviewers... But I think intel will probably beat them out to the refresh again, same on the GPU front with nvidia, meanining they loose alot of sales...

Sucks but yeah, particularly on the graphics front, next series should be considerable improvement for all sides, so first out gets many sales...

If AMD pulls out a chip with single core performance parity with Skylake and has 8 or 16 true cores, and can clock to 4.5+ I will jump ship back to AMD Next go around, but I am otherwise content with my four core haswell at 4.7

I've "heard" the new Zen enthusiast CPUs will be under the FX or FX2 / FX II badge and around $300. So doubt Zen anything is gonna even come close to the Intel Extreme CPUs

You forget they have a server segment for CPUs. They will fill it with a new Zen CPU.

1 Like

300$ for 16 core 32 threads cpu... Interesting... If it is true, because 16cores 32threads is officially confirmed as far as high end Zen will go for the consumer grade products... 300$ for 8 core 16 threads is something I can believe... That makes the 16 cores around 600$ so I guess 1000$ for the highest of high end Zen, that will outperform 2011 Intel stuff purely because of core count, so yeah... It will be interesting battle...

Intel has an 18 core Xeon but the price is astronomically high, about $4,000 MSRP.

I am talking consumer grade products... Xeons are servers and if I am not mistaken we are talking enterprise gear... AMD has announced if I am not mistaken, consumer grade AM4 or FM3 16 core with 32 threads cpu... Basically, equivalent of 2011 8 cores from Intel, that has announced in return 10 core 20 threads consumer grade 2011 CPU... For next year... So it will be interesting. Very interesting...

Yes, I thought we were on the same page. My previous post's were about interest in the Zen server grade components, not the consumer ones. Either way, I don't care if the Zen server part comes in at 2.6GHz base clock, 2.8GHz or 3.0GHz turbo clock, It will still be lightyears faster than the 4.7GHz FX-9590 I'm currently running on.

1 Like

Not to mention their latest lineup of 7850/7870/860K CPU/APUs...

As for the server grade stuff - it is in their best interest to kill it in there. Basically we can see how well they are doing without the server market in the GPU sector... Nvidia is killing it there and AMD struggles... Consumer grade stuff can't save the company by themselves...

We dont know anything about zen yet.
Its interesting to see what they are upto.
But for me personaly, i probably not going to wait another full year for my system upgrade.
I allready made that mistake last year.

sorry but i think intel will kill amd next year, i mean amd may still take the price to performance range and im curious of how its going to go down but ultimately intel got too much of a foothold here for amd to do much.

Intel can't be a monopoly If the government allows it, then all hell will break loose. Nothing will be left sacred in the corporate world, we will have to bow to our masters and take it up the ass every time we purchase something. Somehow I doubt this will happen though, at least not next year.

2 Likes

intel pretty much is already, they dont really have any competition right now and zen looks to be just amd playing catch up. sorry i love amd but intel just owns the market right now.

But that's just it, if AMD goes belly-up the government is required by anti-trust laws to break up Intel. If they don't there should be rioting in the street, it would be unacceptable for the government not to abide by the 1930s anti-trust laws.

2 Likes

name one time in recent years that the government actually stepped in and broke up a company for the same reason cause i cant think of any.

Microsoft was ordered to be broken up in 2000, but was overturned in '01.
AT&T was broken up in 1982. That one stuck. though,
they made it work for them.

i wouldn't call 1982 recent but that's still good info even thou i doubt the government would step in today, the whole system seems corrupt. or maybe im just cynical minded.